Valeron's 1/35 ICM KHD S3000/SS M Maultier

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Here is my entry for this build. Thanks for organising it Dave.

I'm looking forward to this and hopefully I can complete my first non aircraft and non 1/72 model, which is all I've managed to complete since re-starting this hobby in January this year.

It'll be a slow start as I'm still behind on my Mossie.

I've found a rogue tiny piece of plastic in the box so I'm to have to carefully check the sprues to see if it has broken off from somewhere.

I haven't decided on colour schemes yet,20220901_071505.jpg20220901_071623.jpg20220901_071637.jpg20220901_071944.jpg20220901_072018.jpg20220901_072043.jpg20220901_072103.jpg20220901_072120.jpg

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mike,
the key to all ICM softskin builds is to get the chassis square! The flatpack chassis can be fiddly to put together, but getting it true is the best start! ( speaking from many ICM truck builds! )
Dave
Thanks for the tip Dave. I've been looking through the instructions and see what you mean. Getting the chassis wrong would mean rework later when I try and attach the upper body.

My only other experience of a vehicle was an aborted build of a Tamiya 1/35 Achilles and the chassis was simply a solid box shape which needed no construction in itself.

Mike

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks for the tip Dave. I've been looking through the instructions and see what you mean. Getting the chassis wrong would mean rework later when I try and attach the upper body.

My only other experience of a vehicle was an aborted build of a Tamiya 1/35 Achilles and the chassis was simply a solid box shape which needed no construction in itself.

Mike
ICM models do tend to be a bit over engineered, with a lot of tiny parts, including detail that will never be seen ( engines particularly ), but the fit is normally spot on, with little clean up needed
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The difference between building a tracked, armoured vehicle kit and one of a soft-skin cargo vehicle is huge — armoured vehicles usually have simple hulls, frequently moulded in one piece like your previous effort, that make it very easy to get things square. Trucks … not so much, a lot of the time. Like Dave says, take care to get the chassis right, then most other things will likely fit well enough. If you get it warped, though, a lot of things will probably get thrown out of line.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm in for this Mike as I got one in the stash. Have fun building it!!! Did you find out what the piece in the box is???

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice choice Mike. If that broken piece is difficult to mend I think it could easily be scratched from a piece of suitable diameter wire.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
We have an engine. It went together pretty easily. I'll do a little more cleanup when it is fully dry then prime it in a day or so when I'm priming my Mossie.

I'll then brush paint it with Vallejo model colour paints. The colours recommended in the instructions are gun metal, steel but mostly semi gloss black.

I have the former two but with regards to the black I have a flat and a gloss black. Vallejo don't seem to do a semi gloss black and I'd rather not purchase another pot of black anyway.

I was thinking a mix of both my blacks or flat black with a satin varnish which I also have.

It isn't really that important as the engine will be covered but I'm here and learning all the time so was wondering what people's thoughts were on the semi gloss black solution.

Mike

20220901_164607.jpg

20220901_164514.jpg

20220901_164506.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mike,
I will watch this one, I built one of their maultiers a while ago. As has been said already take your time with the chassis the rest will fall into place.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Mike, if you want to build this as the kit mfg. recommends, mix half flat and half gloss and you will have your semi-gloss black without making another purchase. you won't need the varnish. :thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks good so far. Nice motor.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good Mike. Like many of us you have built the engine and yet it won't be seen. Often though the engine, at least the lower parts, is integral to the chassis.