Valeron's 1/35 ICM KHD S3000/SS M Maultier

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally I would drill and pin them. Paperclip wire would suit.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I would do as Tim suggests. Just make sure when you drill the holes they are nice and straoght. I would also use 2 part epoxy to glue in the wires. You can buy 2 part epoxy that cures in 5 mins.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Same, my first thought too was to drill out the pieces and superglue in a length of metal wire.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
....... Or of course, you could drill and pin it !! ;)
Looks good Mike :smiling3:

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have been working on the cargo bed for the last few days and had my first taste of using a chipping solution.

I primed using Vallejo Red Brown, left it overnight, painted it with Vallejo natural wood colour, left this about 6 hours, applied the Vallejo chipping solution, left this for a few hours, then painted about 3 coats of the final colour. This was left for about 5 hours.

All the above was done using a brush as I don't have an airbrush.

Then I chipped with a a combination of damp toothbrush, cotton bud, paint brush and cocktail stick.

I'm reasonably happy with the results as this was a first attempt but I have gone down to the primer and even plastic in few places. Maybe I should have left things to dry for longer before moving onto the next stage.

Anyone else have experience of using this chipping method?

20221102_172512.jpg

20221102_172503.jpg

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
A bit more progress. Its coming together now. I've also started work on the cabin but will focus on the tracks next.

Fitting the container on the back was so difficult. I just couldn't get some of the middle pins on so in the end cut them off.

20221104_171952.jpg

20221104_172019.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on nicely Mike.
. I just couldn't get some of the middle pins on so in the end cut them off.
That's quite a common problem. Sometimes it's the kit itself and sometimes the previous construction it a fraction of a mm out.

I find the secret with chipping fluid is not to let things get too wet and to chip slowly and steadily.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Mike,

Just had a catch-up. It's coming on very nicely indeed and great save on the suspension!

ATB.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great work so far Mike. Breaking axles is part of the fun and you've made a great fix. Looking at the last 2 pics, one doesn't know if it's an Opel Blitz or one of the other Maultier's they had. I'm following this closely so when I build mine, I have a good idea what probs to look out for. Nice chipping too!!!

Prost
Allen

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Painted the tracks and was starting to install them when I noticed I made a mistake previously. I can't believe this one got past me. Oh well, deep breath and take a few steps bacwards

Sometimes this hobby can be so frustrating. I was on such a roll and even ordered some pigments today for the tracks, little realising I'd made such a basic mistake by just not reading the instructions which were very clear.

I'm still enjoying it though

20221107_144722.jpg
20221107_144727.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
We've all done that, Mike, or at least something similar. I'll bet if we started a thread entitled "Oh bugger!!" for silly errors it would soon fill up.
Hopefully not hard to fix.