Valerons Airfix 1/72 Mosquito B.XVI

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
All looking good.
Sprues E and F are very similar and some parts are the same but I think they are in effect a mirror of each other. Parts 16 and 17 and the undercarriage legs, 36 and 37, may be problems. There may be other issues.
Jim

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike
All looking good.
Sprues E and F are very similar and some parts are the same but I think they are in effect a mirror of each other. Parts 16 and 17 and the undercarriage legs, 36 and 37, may be problems. There may be other issues.
Jim
Thanks. I'll see about contacting Airfix and see what they say about giving me a proper F Sprue

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I've messaged Airfix spares. I've received an automated email saying because of Covid disruptions they have a sizeable backlog and will still to respond within the usual 28 days. I certainly hope they do respond well before 28 days but not much I can do about that for now.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
These two photos may help you decide what's what.
sprue3.jpg
sprue4.jpg

A lot is the same but consider part 2 - it's reversed. There are a few others as well unfortunately.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
These two photos may help you decide what's what.
View attachment 457033
View attachment 457034

A lot is the same but consider part 2 - it's reversed. There are a few others as well unfortunately.
Thanks. I'm going to have to study that photo and see where I stand. I'm going to continue with the build anyway and put the parts together and if Airfix don't come back to me I'll decide what to do then.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I'd like to give a shout out for Airfix's customer service.

Regardless of their automated email mentioning 28 days, I received an email late yesterday asking for more details - Address, box serial no., Where and when purchased, proof of purchase (which I couldn't find).

This morning I received an email saying the replacement sprue was in the post.

Now that is amazing service, especially in this day and age when after sales service can be somewhat lacking.

And a lesson I've learnt. Always check the contents of the box upon initial purchase and don't put it in the stash before you've done it. I guess I'm lucky that the kit is a brand new tooling and recently released so Airfix will have plenty of spares. This night not have been the case if it had been in my stash for a few years

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looking good :thumb2:

Glad you’ve sorted the sprue problem out, Airfix do have a very good customer service department.

Geoff.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Slow progress on account of the weather. I'm struggling to get myself going in this heat.

I have completed the undercarriage using the paints in the photo. I'll do some weathering to this once I've attached it to the aircraft later.

Next step is to complete the main body of the bird, ready for priming.

20220715_091408.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
The weather is certainly slowing things down. Looks as if your undercarriage has gone together well. The fit is good and using the wing as a jig helps.
Jim

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
A bit more progress albeit slow due to a busy life at the moment.

I've finally got the main body of the aircraft assembled. I requires some up clean up before priming.

I struggled so much getting getting the exhausts in the correct positions. The instructions are very clear but that seem to stop me getting the upside down etc on more than one occasion. I'm still not 100% happy with them but I'll sort them out during clean up.

That will be it for a few weeks as I have a trip away coming up. To be honest, me and Mossie could do with some time apart as she has been driving me mad. My lack of skills (and patience) have been tested on this build so far.

Mike

20220805_155511.jpg20220805_155519.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking fine Mike. I must confess that the exhausts had me scratching my head.i would have liked to drill out the ends but I knew that with that many I'd c**k up at least a couple so left well alone!!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I feel your pain Mike. I had to take a break from mine too for a while. I take it you don't have the covers for the exhaust on the version you're building. It would make life a whole lot easier. Looks good so far and look even better when you get back to it.....

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hmmm,
I know what you mean with the "needing a break" thing Mike... Recently had modelling issues myself ;)
You've come a long way,and despite the problems, you're making a good job of it mate :smiling3:
Take time,a deep breath and..... go again :smiling3: . It'll be worth it in the end for sure.