Wee Friends 120mm Glider Pilot, Arnhem

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_8538.JPG

My next effort will be this 120mm Glider Pilot from Wee Friends. It's based on the following illustration, which I assume is taken from a photograph of a pilot joining the fight at Arnhem:

3a8f77be2ab98c98bdba8721f481f164.jpgPicPilotsIndCoy.jpg

I like the fact that he's simply dressed, without webbing and equipment.

Just a few parts:

100_8539.JPG100_8540.JPG

Nicely sculpted, but unfortunately, not well cast. The head is ruined by a large deposit of debris under the helmet rim, and the gun is similarly beyond hope. The main part of the figure needs an awful lot of cleaning up, but it looks more hopeful. I don't have a decent spare head with the right helmet, so I decided to try and find a 1/16 spare and came up with this FeR Miniatures bust:

GK-1-16-Bust-British-paratroopers-Arnhem-soldier-Unpainted-Garage-Resin-Figure.jpg

It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm not sure if it will fit. If noy I should be able to knock up something similar with the help of some Milliput. Fortunately I have a saper Lee Enfield.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Have you done a Wee Friends figure before? If so I don't remember it.
Shame that such a nice sculpt is spoilt and that you have to sort it before starting.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil. Welcome.

Lee - Be seated, be seated.

Jim - I've done some 1/35 figures, which were very nice. I also ordered with this one their 120mm Celtic warrior, something I failed with a few years ago and which I'm keen to have another go at. That one is a much better casting.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning again Peter

its another grim grey and wet day ahead, and a Morrisons top up delivery due at 6:30 too!

I'd better remember to press the post button today!

Shame about the casting issues, no comeback from the supplier/maker?

Is it a bust sized figure?

I am having some scale issues with my Simon T GB project, trying to get 6 foot 7 and 5 foot tall figures in the same scale are going to be a saw and putty project!

Hopefully a good day with preparation and entertaining Remi?

The light is probably going to be in very short supply too?

Enjoy the day

Regards

Steve H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall join the gang .

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Good morning. I found another head in the meantime which is already painted and fits perfectly. Unless the FeR is an absolute must I will use it. This is 120mm, and the bust I've ordered is 1/16 - there are a lot in that scale out there, too small for busts really, but useful as a source of heads. Don't fret too much about the scale issues with your figures, although the smaller you go, the more noticeable it becomes. People do come in all shapes and sizes, and as long as the equipment is the same scale it should look alright. Remi's presence has really put a stop to the painting - as soon as she sees me getting the gear out she wants to join in. I have to wait until she goes out to get anything done, but of course I'm more than happy to be distracted. Hve a good day on disinfection duites, and I hope the cat doesn't find the vet's too traumatic.

John-Take a seat. Joe seems to be getting used to you, so as long as you don't make any of those sudden movements (like darting towards the matches).....

D

Deleted member 6559

This is now ready for paint:

100_8545.JPG100_8544.JPG

Parts of the body needed a lot of cleaning up and re-carving, mainly around the back and inside of the legs. I had to remove the gaiter straps and replace them with foil, as there were some heavy mould lines running through them. I found a Dog Tag rifle which now fits after a bit of hollowing-out of the right arm. and I've also given him a pair of Dragon hands.

I've decided to use this head from another figure. It's a Reedees spare with a Gordon Mitchell cap. It fits perfectly, but will need considerable re-painting to lick it into shape (so not really cheating!). He's now a para, as I don't want to risk replacing the cap-badge.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Peter

looking forward to seeing this - My Mum's cousin Stan was a Sergeant Glider Pilot who flew into both Normandy ( recorded in the honour roll at Pegasus Bridge) and Arnhem - he survived Normandy but was lost at Arnhem where he has "no known grave".

Mark

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter I screened John before he was seated I think we’re OK

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Mark - I'll try to do justice to Stan's memory.

Lee - Good man.

So, the head:

100_8547.JPG100_8549.JPG

As you can see, I decided not to wait for the bust, as the head from the spares box seemed perfect. I had to do quite a lot of work to lick it into shape, almost as much as painting it from scratch - I can see that my standards have become more demanding recently. I'd also had to do a lot of work digging debris out from around the scrim scarf and defining the jacket collar, but that seems to have worked out reasonably well.

Next the Denison camo.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok Mr. Day,

I thought we had a discussion about how fast you you knock these wonderful busts and such out. Hell, I haven't even finished catching up on the old artillery dude with the thing on his head that we won't mention.....

Now you have gone crazy and started a new one and it looks really good. Please Sir, give an old guy a chance, will ya...........

Sincerely,

I. B. Workintoomuch

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Another one with a head transplant and he also has borrowed hands :tongue-out3: You make these frankenstein figures work well. Very nice head painting.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie. Take a seat the other side of John.

Neil - Glad you approve.

Allen - Your fantastic parcel arrived while I was painting the face and gave me such a boost - now I actually have a stash! I've had to slow down a lot with my granddaughter in the house, so you should have a chance to catch up. If you were going to accuse the artillery man of having a kebab on his head, like you did with another of my Napoleonic figures, then that's OK, you're entitled to after being so kind. I think it was this one:

100_3253.JPG

Jim - A new head and hands are pretty simple changes, so I can't claim any credit there. Most relieved that the gun fits though.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: JR

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Now you have got my attention.Anything airborne or Arnhem definately is my bag.Head looks just right for the glider pilot.
Will squeeze in with the rest if theres room for me.
Rich.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
If you were going to accuse the artillery man of having a kebab on his head, like you did with another of my Napoleonic figures, then that's OK

Peter, I promise never to make jest of your wonderful work again, even though at the time, it was what it was or what it appeared to me to be...I was probably just drunk hungry at the time.....

Prost
Allen