Welcome to Geoff’s D-Day 80th Anniversary tribute chat thread.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
…..and here they are…..
IMG_2066.jpeg
IMG_2067.jpeg
Fancied a couple of British armoured cars for my gaming forces, and the sawn-off Daimler was officially designated the SOD so what’s not to like….probably should have got the Mk II car, but who’s going to know except me……..I may make both, depends how the first one goes. Lots of parts, most for the interior……useful in the SOD, less so in the car, so the build might be quicker than I think.

If I have time I might well do these as well….
IMG_2075.jpeg
20mm para Vickers mg team. Had these a long time so it’s about time they were done. Honestly not sure of the manufacturer, but it might be Blitz miniatures.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
This is my entry

IMG_20240515_141019142.jpg
Sprue shot
IMG_20240515_140714374.jpg
Decals and after-market
IMG_20240515_140909924.jpg

This will be my biggest foray into PE apart from a seat harness for a Spitfire so that will be interesting.
This will be the first part of a long-planned (10 years +) diorama which I have put off starting time and time again, and what better time to start than June 6? So this GB has given me the boot up the backside I needed to kick it off.
The plan is eventually to fill it with GIs on their way to the beaches, but for this instalment I will probably just do the US Coastguard crew.
Looking forward to it

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Go for it Colin :thumb2:

If it’s got full D-Day stripe markings it’s allowed as far as I’m concerned.

Geoff.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This came about 20 mins ago. It doesn't come with invasion stripe decals but i'd have a go at painting them on if this is allowed.

Could I have a ruling if this is allowed or not? (if not then it would have to be a kit from my stash)

mos.png

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’d say it would be safe to assume Mosquito FBs like this one were involved in the landings. In fact, a quick search for Mosquito FB invasion stripes turned up this picture:

Mosquito with invasion stripes.jpg

The fact that they’re brush-painting the stripes, and they’re not exactly perfectly straight, almost certainly means this picture dates from just before D-Day.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Some people worry about getting those invasion strips so straight. Just like Jakko said these are not perfect
Apparently some of the Dakotas were done with yard brushes and whitewash because they were large and the ground crew had such a short time to do them. I did Len Cheshire’s mosquito for the GB a couple of years back and that had stripes, though the top ones had been painted out by August when it crashed, so I’d say this would be fine.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
This came about 20 mins ago. It doesn't come with invasion stripe decals but i'd have a go at painting them on if this is allowed.

Could I have a ruling if this is allowed or not? (if not then it would have to be a kit from my stash)

View attachment 509595
Hello Steve,
I’ve had a quick look and I don’t think any of the aircraft the markings in the kit are supplied for took part on D-Day so you will need after market decals for one that did.
However if you can find any pics of the said aircraft with D-Day stripes then that would be allowed.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Last edited: