Welcome to Geoff’s D-Day 80th Anniversary tribute chat thread.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hello Steve,
The problem should be solved.
This Mosquito variant was in service during the landing operations in Normandy. I quickly browsed through some of my literature and found a few FB Mk.VI in D-Day colors:

View attachment 509639
View attachment 509640
View attachment 509641

With the Tamiya decals you already have all the national insignia. So you only need the serial numbers and identification letters. If you really want to take part in the GB, all you have to do is choose a machine, I will print the letters you need onto decal paper with the laser printer, put them in an envelope and send them to you.
It's certainly not perfect, but it's imo an acceptable solution for a "custom mosquito".
Best regards,
Andi
..... THAT'S what makes this site so great right there!!
Nice one Andi :thumb2:

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Don't worry about it Steve, it's fine.
If you search a little you'll find a whole lot of possible Mosquitoes for D-Day. The 107th, 235th, 464th, 613rd Squadrons for example used them, but many others too.
Maybe you can find a machine that you want, then we'll see if I can do it.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Don't worry about it Steve, it's fine.
If you search a little you'll find a whole lot of possible Mosquitoes for D-Day. The 107th, 235th, 464th, 613rd Squadrons for example used them, but many others too.
Maybe you can find a machine that you want, then we'll see if I can do it.
I appreciate it but I've spent a couple of hours googling tonight and quite frankly half the time I didn't know what I was looking for. I'm just very dumb, but thanks so much for offering it was very kind of you indeed.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I appreciate it but I've spent a couple of hours googling tonight and quite frankly half the time I didn't know what I was looking for.
Research is a skill like any other, and gets easier once you get to know the subject a bit. I can find pictures of most types of tank fairly easily because I know what to type into the search engine, know which results to ignore at a glance, etc. Aircraft are harder for me because they’re not my main interest, things like cars or ships harder still, and if you were to ask me to find pictures of specific breeds of horse, styles of architecture, food, fashion, etc. I would be basically starting from scratch too :smiling3:

What I find helps a lot is simply reading about the subject — for example, start by looking it up on Wikipedia and read the article (and any linked ones that seem interesting) to get a feel for the subject. Yes, some things on any given Wikipedia page will be wrong, but so are many things written in reputable books on the subject. This is not a problem. The main thing here is that once you have a little knowledge about something, you will find it easier to separate the wheat from the chaff when trying to look up more about it. And with a bit of luck, you soon get into a positive feedback loop, where the fact that you have a bit of knowledge will help you get more knowledge relatively easily.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm at a total loss with this but I really want to take part in this group build, so I guess I'll just have to buy another kit and one that is 100% within the rules.
Can anyone suggest something? I'm open to aircraft and vehicles

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hi Steve,

Why not just pick one of the schemes Vicenza has shown you and accept his kind offer to send you the code letters :thinking:

The two coastal command ones are both relatively simple paint schemes too - Extra Dark Sea Grey over Sky type S so maybe one of those.

You already have the roundels / stencil markings in the kit so it should all be fairly straightforward :thumb2:

Geoff.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yes it was very kind indeed but I feel a bit guilty using his materials and not paying for them. Seems a little unfair and selfish on my part don't you think.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Not if he’s offered, it’s what we do here on the forum, help each other out.

In the future you maybe in a position to help him with something he needs or someone else on here.

When you joined and some of the guys said it was the friendliest forum going they meant it so please don’t feel selfish.

Geoff.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Hello Steve,
Well, I definitely don't want to persuade you to do anything - you have to decide for yourself.
If you accept my help, you definitely don't have to feel guilty. The materials cost a few cents, if at all, and a letter to the UK costs 1.10 euros.
If we ever actually meet, just buy me a coffee or a beer. :smiling5:

I can also try to find a suitable aircraft for you if you give me an indication of what is important to you (a specific unit or specific paint scheme, etc.).

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm thinking along the lines of a Typhoon, Tempest, P-47d thunderbolt or maybe even a B-17, B-25 etc, also vehicles like a scout car or tractor etc
I'm open to doing most things really, the only requirements is it's not too expensive (so like nothing over £50) and it's a decent size, like 1/48 for aircraft and 1/35 for armour.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I'm thinking along the lines of a Typhoon, Tempest, P-47d thunderbolt or maybe even a B-17, B-25 etc, also vehicles like a scout car or tractor etc
I'm open to doing most things really, the only requirements is it's not too expensive (so like nothing over £50) and it's a decent size, like 1/48 for aircraft and 1/35 for armour.

Ok Steve if you want to look for something else check out Scalemates for options but please remember whatever you choose it must have taken part on or around D-Day or we will be back to square one.

If you find something you fancy just ask here before you buy.

If it’s an aircraft it should have full D-Day stripes.

Geoff.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Been looking around, found a nice Revell Tempest 1/32 scale (03851) which is a tad over my max price but maybe doable, the box has invasion stripes but there's no decals for them inside so i'm not sure if that's okay or not, also I found a Tamiya 1/48 Sherman Firefly (32532) which I do believe were there but again I'm not sure if the kit has the correct markings.

I'll carry on looking

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Steve im not in on the G/B but from lookin at your posts i think you are takin this to seriously get a kit that took part in D,/day an enjoy the modelin as ive been asked up my boat pond to reprsent D/DAY with my tiger as they want as many warships as pos an my tiger was not even built when that happened but im goin to jion in so dont worry or feel giulty just jion in sir an enjoy it
chrisb

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve im not in on the G/B but from lookin at your posts i think you are takin this to seriously get a kit that took part in D,/day an enjoy the modelin as ive been asked up my boat pond to reprsent D/DAY with my tiger as they want as many warships as pos an my tiger was not even built when that happened but im goin to jion in so dont worry or feel giulty just jion in sir an enjoy it
chrisb
I just don't want to do a model that would be excluded because it was the wrong model, wrong decals etc etc. tbh I'm a bit out of my depth but I just want to join in. :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I just don't want to do a model that would be excluded because it was the wrong model, wrong decals etc etc. tbh I'm a bit out of my depth but I just want to join in. :smiling3:
WELL Steve take the chaps offer up with them decals he offered as had been said we all help each other on here thats why this is such a good forum so please jion in sir an you will be happy you did
chrisb