Welcome to Geoff’s D-Day 80th Anniversary tribute chat thread.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If the markings supplied are of an aircraft which took part on D-Day then yes, if not you will need after market decals for one that did.

Geoff.
Hmm.. I just opened the box, looking at the decal options and they are for 487, 143, 157 squadrons and I don't believe they are d-day ones so I'm guessing that's a no then.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello Steve I think I answered as you were replying :smiling6:

Unfortunately not but I’m sure there are many after market decal sets for aircraft that did.

Might be worth asking if any of the guys have spare decals for appropriate aircraft they could help you out with.

Geoff.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks. I've been looking and can't find anything that's not absurdly expensive. There's lot of time left so I'll spend the next few days looking but I also need to be prepared to drop out of this if I can't find anything, which would suck.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Or just make something up … Cut up the letters for the sides of the fuselage and put them together in a different way, for example. It’ll be representative of what was there without being necessarily any of that exactly. It seems to me, though, that part of the question here is that Geoff knows RAF stuff, so he’s disqualifying this without the correct markings, but if you were to build an M4A2 Sherman in US 3rd Army markings, I doubt he would object :smiling3: For the record: the US didn’t use M4A2s and 3rd Army was in the UK until well after D-Day.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Ah this kind of answers a question I had about generic markings. I was going to do a standard Jeep but I don't actually know if I have the correct relevant markings - I'll have to so some research.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Or just make something up … Cut up the letters for the sides of the fuselage and put them together in a different way, for example. It’ll be representative of what was there without being necessarily any of that exactly. It seems to me, though, that part of the question here is that Geoff knows RAF stuff, so he’s disqualifying this without the correct markings, but if you were to build an M4A2 Sherman in US 3rd Army markings, I doubt he would object :smiling3: For the record: the US didn’t use M4A2s and 3rd Army was in the UK until well after D-Day.
The 3rd Army arrived in France on the 5th July becoming totally combat ready in August apparently ;) so I would indeed let that go but unfortunately the aircraft Steve’s has took no part in the Normandy campaign.

I want as many of us to take part as possible but the subject has got to be of the time otherwise it will be pretty pointless :thinking:

Geoff.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The 3rd Army arrived in France on the 5th July becoming totally combat ready in August apparently ;)
Yes, so a month to two months after D-Day.

so I would indeed let that go
Meaning: “I would let you build that as part of this GB”?

but unfortunately the aircraft Steve’s has took no part in the Normandy campaign.
Neither did the US 3rd Army with M4A2s, hence my example about something that falls in my sphere of interest :smiling3:

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm very sorry indeed but I'm going to have to pull out of this one. I'm not blaming anyone but myself but I obviously got the wrong kit and what aftermarket decals I've found have been absurdly expensive. so I apologise to everyone but I'll sit this one out, of course I'll still be very interested in everyones models as they work on them! sorry again

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Yes, so a month to two months after D-Day.

Meaning: “I would let you build that as part of this GB”?

Neither did the US 3rd Army with M4A2s, hence my example about something that falls in my sphere of interest :smiling3:
Your right Jakko, my mistake :sad:

I’ve checked my first post and I stated entries must have taken part on D-Day or shortly afterwards up and till July 44 so the example you gave would NOT be eligible.

I was trying to illustrate the difference though between assets which had been involved in the Normandy campaign and those that hadn’t taken part at all.

I am not an expert by any means so am relying on everyone to play nicely and follow what I proposed.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Your right Jakko, my mistake :sad:

I’ve checked my first post and I stated entries must have taken part on D-Day or shortly afterwards up and till July 44 so the example you gave would NOT be eligible.

I was trying to illustrate the difference though between assets which had been involved in the Normandy campaign and those that hadn’t taken part at all.

I am not an expert by any means so am relying on everyone to play nicely and follow what I proposed.

Cheers,

Geoff.
I'm still not clear about the Mosquito, Geoff.
Are you saying that NO mosquitos were used in the Normandy campaign until the end of July, or just that the decal options for Steve's kit are inappropriate for the parameters?
I don't know anything about it either way but I am confused

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I'm still not clear about the Mosquito, Geoff.
Are you saying that NO mosquitos were used in the Normandy campaign until the end of July, or just that the decal options for Steve's kit are inappropriate for the parameters?
I don't know anything about it either way but I am confused
I’m saying that the markings aren’t appropriate Neil.
Mosquitoes were used during D-Day just not the ones that Steve’s version has markings for.
That is why I advised him previously that he would need to find different decals to represent one that did actually take part.

Geoff.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mosquitoes were used during D-Day just not the ones that Steve’s version has markings for.
That is why I advised him previously that he would need to find different decals to represent one that did actually take part.

Geoff.
I'm sorry Geoff, I didn't mean to cause any problems.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil

Geoff.
thanks Geoff, I thought that was the case but it all got a bit weird for me with talk of third army .....

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I'm sorry Geoff, I didn't mean to cause any problems.
No problem Steve don’t worry, most GBs have a bit of uncertainty to start with :tears-of-joy:

You’ve got the basics there we just need to tweak them a little so that you can join in if you still want to.

I’ve been looking for Mosquitoes which did take part on D-Day, a lot had most of there codes painted over so I can probably find something suitable if you still want to join in, be a shame not too now you have a nice Tamiya Mossie ;)

Geoff.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
I'm very sorry indeed but I'm going to have to pull out of this one. I'm not blaming anyone but myself but I obviously got the wrong kit and what aftermarket decals I've found have been absurdly expensive. so I apologise to everyone but I'll sit this one out, of course I'll still be very interested in everyones models as they work on them! sorry again
Hello Steve,
The problem should be solved.
This Mosquito variant was in service during the landing operations in Normandy. I quickly browsed through some of my literature and found a few FB Mk.VI in D-Day colors:

MQ3.jpg
MQ1.jpg
MQ2.jpg

With the Tamiya decals you already have all the national insignia. So you only need the serial numbers and identification letters. If you really want to take part in the GB, all you have to do is choose a machine, I will print the letters you need onto decal paper with the laser printer, put them in an envelope and send them to you.
It's certainly not perfect, but it's imo an acceptable solution for a "custom mosquito".
Best regards,
Andi