What’s the difference between a ship and a boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
Looking to make sure I post in the right section. I’d assume that the Shell Welder is a ship but not sure...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Size, but there’s no hard and fast limit that’s generally agreed upon. Here’s an article that might shed some light:

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
Size, but there’s no hard and fast limit that’s generally agreed upon. Here’s an article that might shed some light:
Thanks Jakko, that helped clear things up :smiling3: seems like the only thing that people agree on is a shop is bigger than a boat and that if it floats it can be a ship or a boat but I f it is a submarine it’s definitely a boat.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A few years ago I was an expert witness at an inquest into a fatality at sea. One of the other witnesses was the Chief Investigator from the MAIB (Marine Accident Investigation Branch), and he had studied at a nautical college that was an annex of the technical college where I used to work. I asked him this question, and his reply was that there isn't a distinct answer, so their official policy is to call them all "vessels". Apparently there are many boats that are bigger than many ships. Ships often carry boats, but some boats also carry boats, although boats don't carry ships!
Pete

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The plimsoll line. Ships have them, boats don't. well at least that how it was explained to me, by a ship's navigator.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
there isn't a distinct answer, so their official policy is to call them all "vessels".
This seems the sensible thing to do to me. Or just to stop pretending there’s a meaningful difference in the real world :smiling3:

Doing a little research, because now I wanted to know, it seems the true difference is entirely etymological. The words boat and ship go back to different Proto-Indo-European words, *bʰeyd- respectively *skey-, that both have meanings along the lines of “divide”.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I've always worked on the theory that ships have multiple deck where as a boat has two maybe three

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
No real answer, but I've seen a ship definition that says it has at least one continuous deck below the main deck. but even that falls down with tankers! I personally think a ship is an ocean going vessel that can be operated by a crew that don't have to wear special clothes! - Also a ship may carry a boat, but a boat cannot carry a ship.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I wouldn’t be so sure of that Dave, a boat can still ship water :tongue-out3:
Napoleonic ships had sweeps didnt they Ian? They were used to row when the ship was becalmed. I’m sure when I was a kid longships were called longboats as well......
in the days of sail I think it was down to the rigging....three masts (or more), a full bowsprit, and square rigging was know as ship rigged. Anything else was known as a boat.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I'm with Dave. Anything that can't go further than inshore water is a boat.

Could you use requiring a crew as a definition for a ship? Opposed a boat that requires only one pilot.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Well.....driver doesn't seem right. That implies wheels. Operator? Captain doesn't seem right without a crew. Helmsman?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think the only definition w3 can agree on is that a Boat starts with the letter B, and a ship starts with the letter S.....
By the way, does all this mean that Boaty McBoatface should have been called Shippy McShipface?

Status
Not open for further replies.