What's on the Bench? 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Taking a "break" from the Freight shed Dio. to do a little figure building. I'm looking forward to doing the paint on these so I can see if the "Marlow Method" can be used in 1/87 scale;). If you are out there Tim, I'll be knocking on your door when the questions start flooding in :smiling3: LOL.
Rick H.
ps. I used a US Dime instead of a Dutch Dime for size comparison....:tongue-out3:.....approx. 18mm dia.View attachment 420558View attachment 420559
Rick. I’m sure you can “Figure” it out lol

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Taking a "break" from the Freight shed Dio. to do a little figure building. I'm looking forward to doing the paint on these so I can see if the "Marlow Method" can be used in 1/87 scale;). If you are out there Tim, I'll be knocking on your door when the questions start flooding in :smiling3: LOL.
Rick H.
ps. I used a US Dime instead of a Dutch Dime for size comparison....:tongue-out3:.....approx. 18mm dia.View attachment 420558View attachment 420559
That`s just insane.......
...... nuff said!!!:dizzy:;):cool:
Crack on then Rick!!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It takes the “Insane” to do insane deeds
It does indeed Lee :thumb2:.......
.......and thank God for those guys from all types of allied units,that have done just that over the many Centuries of,(sometimes "forgotten") Wars,.....
..... But i didn`t mean to get too heavy there!!..... Modelling does indeed ,sometimes,require so called "INSANE" efforts/abilities!!;)

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here is my "Motely" first attempt at the Marlow Method of figure painting. I wish I didn't have to show these to you but I put them up on the bench as what I'm working on so here they are. I purposely kept Nurse Ratched in the back ground, as up close she's a bit of a shock. The rest of these guys are just a bunch of infantry "rats" so they can look like a sorry lot and get away with it.
Sorry I let you down Tim.....nothing to do with you, I just don't see as well as I used to and am definitely shakey in the hand. Still lots to finish up. but it's fine detail work, straps, belts, buttons, etc... The good news is that these products work as advertised......the Flesh Wash is pure freaking magic and the five 'oclock shadow technique works very well, I'm just a bit heavy handed. Rick H.P1011797.JPG

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Here is my "Motely" first attempt at the Marlow Method of figure painting. I wish I didn't have to show these to you but I put them up on the bench as what I'm working on so here they are. I purposely kept Nurse Ratched in the back ground, as up close she's a bit of a shock. The rest of these guys are just a bunch of infantry "rats" so they can look like a sorry lot and get away with it.
Sorry I let you down Tim.....nothing to do with you, I just don't see as well as I used to and am definitely shakey in the hand. Still lots to finish up. but it's fine detail work, straps, belts, buttons, etc... The good news is that these products work as advertised......the Flesh Wash is pure freaking magic and the five 'oclock shadow technique works very well, I'm just a bit heavy handed. Rick H.View attachment 420985
They look absolutely fine to me, considering the scale. Don't be so hard on yourself Rick, the more you do the easier it will get.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They look fine to me as well Rick.
Don’t beat yourself up. These are your first figures using these techniques and it will take a little time and patience to develop the required fine motor skills to get the best out of it. Confidence also comes with practice.
Don’t compare your figures with mine. I’ve been doing this on and off for forty years, and this is all new to you, so it’s an unfair comparison. You are your own painter so will never produce work that is identical. With time you will develop your own style.
The way forward is to compare your newest figures with the last ones you painted, if you see an improvement then you are making progress. If you don’t see progress, then decide what you want to improve, how you are going to improve it, and put a little more effort into that part next time you paint.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Rick,
Figures are the 'bete noir' for most modellers I suspect. The difference to me is whether the figures are the main focus of the diorama etc or merely the 'supporting cast'; if the latter they can be positioned so as to assist the narrative and, in extreme cases the facial detail is largely irrelevant. The adage 'practice makes perfect' is certainly true even if one's frustration levels reach stratospheric levels at times! Crack on mate!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry I let you down Tim.....nothing to do with you, I just don't see as well as I used to and am definitely shakey in the hand. Still lots to finish up. but it's fine detail work, straps, belts, buttons, etc... The good news is that these products work as advertised......the Flesh Wash is pure freaking magic and the five 'oclock shadow technique works very well, I'm just a bit heavy handed. Rick H.View attachment 420985
Rick

As others have said nothing wrong with those. I too am trying to improve figure painting using the 'Marlow Method' and as you say that flesh wash is very effective and so, so simple.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just to point out the obvious.....it’s not my method...I synthesised it from several other sources. I haven’t had an original thought in years LOL....starting to wonder if I should ask Vallejo for commission on flesh wash sales though :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Just to point out the obvious.....it’s not my method...I synthesised it from several other sources. I haven’t had an original thought in years LOL....starting to wonder if I should ask Vallejo for commission on flesh wash sales though :thumb2:
That may be the case but on here I think it will always be known as the 'Marlow Method' and besides, as the forum is largely private from non members, you shouldn't have to worry about any claims for plagiarism!! ;) :smiling2:

As for commission on flesh wash sales I'm more than happy to support any future claim!! :smiling5:;)

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well Gentlemen, I guess I shall now have to soldier on and see if I can get better at this figure painting method. I know I am guilty of being my own worst critic, but that is unavoidable when I set the bar so high. As stated earlier these products work I just need to figure out how to make them work for me.
Thank you all for your kind comments and support. Rick H. :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not posted anything for a while.....
CA56D3C4-3C6D-477F-85D1-A70F412F1E3F.jpeg
CAE250D0-F48E-45E7-96CB-7761B2B9A534.jpeg
The “Ragged Wound” spearman are now done and placed in the cabinet....they are on a 20 man Sabot base to allow easy gaming and casualty removal.....

I am now going to do something historical for my next build.....
E2E042DC-1212-4B7F-98BD-4F1A2122E5B3.jpeg
These are a Perry miniatures metal 28mm Heliograph unit. I’m going to do them up as Post Office rifles with the binocular guy as a Red jacketed officer . I’ve had them a while so it’s time they came off of the lead pile.....as usual based on coins, Sabot base to follow.....

Hope they are of interest...

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Not posted anything for a while.....
View attachment 422154
View attachment 422155
The “Ragged Wound” spearman are now done and placed in the cabinet....they are on a 20 man Sabot base to allow easy gaming and casualty removal.....

I am now going to do something historical for my next build.....
View attachment 422156
These are a Perry miniatures metal 28mm Heliograph unit. I’m going to do them up as Post Office rifles with the binocular guy as a Red jacketed officer . I’ve had them a while so it’s time they came off of the lead pile.....as usual based on coins, Sabot base to follow.....

Hope they are of interest...
Tim

They've all turned out very well indeed. Another great showing.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Andrew
Looking forward to a little change of pace with the POR Heliograph detachment though, haven’t done any historical sin ages....it means i don’t have to think about colour schemes apart from anything else LOL....

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That last bunch looked like they were in desperate need of a beer! I like the way the light plays on their spear points! Oh, and Tim, if they are wearing masks, perhaps they should be social distancing?........just a thought. Aww :tongue-out3: ;):thumb2:. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think they drink “grog” Rick :loudly-crying:.
No masks there, they are really that pug ugly ;)
Thanks for the comments on the spear points, they are being brought out by the light, but the sharp bits and battle dents are actually highlighted with silver. The spears are painted dark steel with polished steel defining the shapes and volumes. That way they still read properly even in dull light. I’ve done the same on the helmets and shield bosses.....

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I should have looked closer Tim..........I guess I just didn't think that anyone could be that Ugly as a group! :tongue-out3: If it's Grog they are after, send then down to the "Clacker" Mr. Ron's (570) Idu will fix 'em up!:thumb2:
Rick H.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Put this back on the bench going to try to finish as much as possible before I get mad at it again and put it away for another 2yrs. 281C2073-9A63-48B9-8381-1204103CC042.jpeg14CF1D03-E381-4290-92A7-C7A46BD0EC40.jpegB51E9E9A-4463-41FC-A617-24C2D0A5EAEF.jpegBBFD36F5-1639-4E80-947F-2749D2A692B0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.