What's on the Bench? 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Well this is on my new bench that I’m using for tying Fly’s. Sorry but I’m taking a break from building models to tie up some flies for fishing. I haven’t tied Fly’s since 2008 so I’m very rusty but it’s a lot of fun. The Fly in the vise I used some beads I got from Hobby Lobby and a feather I found in the hen house for the wings and Olive Brown Dubbing for the body. The ones in the box I tied Saturday night.
137E1BB2-82D7-4E2E-A64F-55522C4AAB72.jpeg866B8389-C4D6-4031-9BAC-443621389AC3.jpegAF3BDB08-37AB-4B03-8725-954BDC0DDB3E.jpeg

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice "Bug" collection Lee.........what scale are they? :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out::thumb2:. Hope you catch a big one, nothing like fresh caught fish for Supper. I broiled a Wild caught Steel head for this evening's meal. The missus said it turned out great so I was satisfied that my culinary skills had passed muster. Carry on, I'll have Matron swing by after bed check to see if you've jabbed yerself enough times on them hooks, to require stitches....have fun. Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick. Flies are not measured by Scale I used a #16 Hook and a 8/0 Bead. Thanks for confidence on catching one. It’s too late to send Matron I’ve already jabbed my thumb something I seldom do.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wow Lee.....some of them are downright scary looking! So realistic looking you might want to keep some "Bug Spray" handy in case they start moving! :tongue-out3: BTW I now know I am not a fish......none of those critters looks appetizing! Carry on with the process, I'm looking forward to seeing what you might catch with some of these. :thumb2: Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Got three of these a while back thought I'd try one and see how it goes. These are resin kits (ugh) and there is some clean up, but it's better than some I have seen. The vehicle is a 1942 Ford Truck....sometimes referred to as a "Rumanian" Ford 3 ton. If I decide to start a thread on this I'll post up a pic or two of the originals I pulled off the I-net. Not sure how many of these the Germans captured and re-employed but I thought a few would look good in the cabinet. Progress so far is cab window clean up and wheel and tire clean up.....the model maker (Claire Gilbert) at Sylvan Scale, pours his own rubber tires in a two part mold...they work OK but have a couple of "plugs on the tread face that can be a bother. Rick H.P1011901.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Lee a man of many skill then. Rick your loving it.

Nothing as exciting as the two above here at Race Towers , just a collection of bits of branch and trunks . Not even worth a photo.:cold-sweat:

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Excellent fly tying Lee! I really need to get my vice out and start doing my own.

You say the beads are from a hobby store? Do they have a decent weight to them?

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. Thanks for the complement but I’m a master of none.

Chris. Get that video out and come on let’s see some Fly’s

Reactions: JR

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Excellent fly tying Lee! I really need to get my vice out and start doing my own.

You say the beads are from a hobby store? Do they have a decent weight to them?
There light but if you need some weight you could tie on some lead wire. They also sell weighed ones too.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Sorry no pics yet but I'm halfway through this at the mo,

P2060050.jpeg.jpg

I've made a couple of adjustments, the wheels now steer, the side gadgets are now hinged so they can be moved up or down, I might see if the slab at the front can be made movable... think I need counselling!

Lee

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Status
Not open for further replies.