What's on the Bench? 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've just tried my first bit of mottle camouflage on a bf109 could be better that's for sure but you gotta give these things a go,practice makes perfect and all that. I look forward to your build. :thumb2:

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Since the Dingo is almost finished (update with figures to follow) I'm putting this little kit on the bench. I don't expect much progress next week, since I'm away on jolly hols again Monday. It's a hard life!...
IMG_20210928_172159936.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi All,

Yea, I'm still alive and still working even though I am retired as of the first of this month. The Hetzer is well under way and here's a little update.

Now can someone tell me what's wrong in this picture,
IMG_2615.JPG
And what's corrected in this picture,
IMG_2621.JPG
Yup, a total brain cramp by gluing the final drive housings on backwards....DOH!!!...Had to pry them off, clean them up and re-glue them back on correctly. At least the base coat of dark yellow came out really good. Still can't decide which camo to put on her, but I did begin weathering the chassis,
IMG_2656.JPG
Some Eastern Front mud from a pot. It's from Reality in Scale and comes in different shades. It also has grass and twigs in it too. While this was drying, I painted up the wheels and such,
IMG_2657.JPG
I used my silver pencil and some burnt metal paint from AV to simulate wear from the tracks. Another brain cramp came as I weathered the outside lip of the idler wheels not remembering the track horns move on the inside of them!!! Old age I guess......

This weekend I hope to get her pretty much finished so I can move on and join Peter's GB for shelf queens. Lord knows I got enough of them lying around..........................Thanks for looking.............

Prost
Allen

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi All,

Yea, I'm still alive and still working even though I am retired as of the first of this month. The Hetzer is well under way and here's a little update.

Now can someone tell me what's wrong in this picture,
View attachment 435169
And what's corrected in this picture,
View attachment 435170
Yup, a total brain cramp by gluing the final drive housings on backwards....DOH!!!...Had to pry them off, clean them up and re-glue them back on correctly. At least the base coat of dark yellow came out really good. Still can't decide which camo to put on her, but I did begin weathering the chassis,
View attachment 435171
Some Eastern Front mud from a pot. It's from Reality in Scale and comes in different shades. It also has grass and twigs in it too. While this was drying, I painted up the wheels and such,
View attachment 435172
I used my silver pencil and some burnt metal paint from AV to simulate wear from the tracks. Another brain cramp came as I weathered the outside lip of the idler wheels not remembering the track horns move on the inside of them!!! Old age I guess......

This weekend I hope to get her pretty much finished so I can move on and join Peter's GB for shelf queens. Lord knows I got enough of them lying around..........................Thanks for looking.............

Prost
Allen
Looking good Allen ! Eager to see the end result !

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
this little beauty is next ... the camo though scares the living daylights out of me ..... my cheapy airbrush has also gone and curled up in the corner in fright View attachment 435037View attachment 435038....
Always did like these, will this be the tank-buster version with the cannon on the nose ? Either way, they looked quite menacing [EDIT] oops just saw yours is a UHU and I must have dyslexia, I was thinking HS129. Good Luck with the camo scheme ! Can't wait !

Last edited:

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's a late-ish Dragon Panther G, still needs a few details (i.e. bolt heads, retainer pins). Not sure yet if I want to include the schurzen support rails, kinda like the look without. Hope you all like

Attachments

• 20211003_074315.jpg
    20211003_074315.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211003_074234.jpg
    20211003_074234.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211003_074137.jpg
    20211003_074137.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211003_074119.jpg
    20211003_074119.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 13

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Tim, I'm giving it the old college try. I even have a new update.............

Thanks too Ron and that Kitty is lookin' mighty fine Sir. Love the beat-to-hell storage bins, Voyager set???

I finally decided on a scheme and did my take on it,

IMG_2660.JPG
I used my new AK 3rd Gen paint set and a hairy stick to paint the green amoeba's all over it. I first slopped Mr. Metal primer all over the Friuls to let them dry while doing the green. I really wonder what I was thinking when I chose this scheme. It wasn't another brain cramp as I've had enough of those on this lately! Anywhoo, here's how it turned out,

IMG_2663.JPG
Kids, don't try this at home, especially after 2 cups of coffee!!!......The other side,

IMG_2664.JPG
Ok, if you look closely, you can see a few bouts of the shakes here and there. Overall, it came out pretty darn good. You have to remember that on the East Front, in 1945, all of the Van Gough's had fled west to be captured by the allies instead of the rooskies (sorry Dude 2),

IMG_2665.JPG
I'm not worried about touch ups as the weathering will cover the errors of my ways. Also painted up the Friuls with AK's Dark Tracks and an old hairy stick. Next up is gluing the top and bottom halves together, mount the tracks and add a few tidbits before dirtying her up. Thanks for looking and have a great Sunday folks...............

Prost
Allen (Ret.)

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tim, I'm giving it the old college try. I even have a new update.............

Thanks too Ron and that Kitty is lookin' mighty fine Sir. Love the beat-to-hell storage bins, Voyager set???

View attachment 435543
I used my new AK 3rd Gen paint set and a hairy stick to paint the green amoeba's all over it. I first slopped Mr. Metal primer all over the Friuls to let them dry while doing the green. I really wonder what I was thinking when I chose this scheme. It wasn't another brain cramp as I've had enough of those on this lately! Anywhoo, here's how it turned out,

View attachment 435548
Kids, don't try this at home, especially after 2 cups of coffee!!!......The other side,

View attachment 435549
Ok, if you look closely, you can see a few bouts of the shakes here and there. Overall, it came out pretty darn good. You have to remember that on the East Front, in 1945, all of the Van Gough's had fled west to be captured by the allies instead of the rooskies (sorry Dude 2),

View attachment 435550
I'm not worried about touch ups as the weathering will cover the errors of my ways. Also painted up the Friuls with AK's Dark Tracks and an old hairy stick. Next up is gluing the top and bottom halves together, mount the tracks and add a few tidbits before dirtying her up. Thanks for looking and have a great Sunday folks...............

Prost
Allen (Ret.)
A good steady start,and a cracking base to be weathered up Allen :thumb2: ,
Nice one mate.
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great Allen. Not a common scheme, at least, to me.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
A good steady start,and a cracking base to be weathered up Allen :thumb2: ,
Nice one mate.
Andy

Thanks Andy! The Mojo is flying high and I am really having a blast, between naps of course..................

Looks great Allen. Not a common scheme, at least, to me.

Thank you Tim, it is an actual scheme used in 1944 by the Pz.Jg.Abt. 743 that fought in the Warsaw Uprising in Aug '44. The base was dark yellow and the amoeba's were red brown with green outlines. I just reversed the two to make it interesting. The only downside is the scheme was used on a Hetzer mid production and mine is the late production model from '45. Artistic license a little bit on my part, but a lot of fun to do!!!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Allen.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andy! The Mojo is flying high and I am really having a blast, between naps of course..................

Thank you Tim, it is an actual scheme used in 1944 by the Pz.Jg.Abt. 743 that fought in the Warsaw Uprising in Aug '44. The base was dark yellow and the amoeba's were red brown with green outlines. I just reversed the two to make it interesting. The only downside is the scheme was used on a Hetzer mid production and mine is the late production model from '45. Artistic license a little bit on my part, but a lot of fun to do!!!
Wha...? You reversed the amoeba color sequence? Ohhh.... that explains why I feel somewhat let down, Allen.
Seriously though, Great job Bro !

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Coming on nicely Allen.

Glad you like it Andrew, thanks Sir.....

Wha...? You reversed the amoeba color sequence? Ohhh.... that explains why I feel somewhat let down, Allen.

Come on Bro, you only live once! The actual scheme could have been either way as the original B/W photos are hard to determine which color was which, other than the base color. Now if I had had 4 cups of coffee this morning, I might have tried this one,

IMG_2667.JPG

Wouldn't matter if you had the shakes or not really!!!.............

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

View attachment 435543

View attachment 435548

View attachment 435549

View attachment 435550

Prost
Allen (Ret.)
Might fine work on the paint mate.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
BTR - 70, Ukrainian UN Battalion, Sarajevo 1992 - 93. Basic kit Zvezda 1/35.
Is that a rebox of the old (early 1990s) Dragon kit, or it is one of Zvezda’s own efforts? Going by the hinges I can see on the hull top I guess it’s actually Dragon. If so, it’s a fairly nice kit, as I remember from building it when it was new, though I thought the hinges made it too toy-like.

Status
Not open for further replies.