What's on the Bench? 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Glad you like it Andrew, thanks Sir.....

Come on Bro, you only live once! The actual scheme could have been either way as the original B/W photos are hard to determine which color was which, other than the base color. Now if I had had 4 cups of coffee this morning, I might have tried this one,

View attachment 435562

Wouldn't matter if you had the shakes or not really!!!.............
This would be more my speed Allen.....as you stated, the "shakes" wouldn't matter much! :tongue-out3: Rick H.

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Is that a rebox of the old (early 1990s) Dragon kit, or it is one of Zvezda’s own efforts? Going by the hinges I can see on the hull top I guess it’s actually Dragon. If so, it’s a fairly nice kit, as I remember from building it when it was new, though I thought the hinges made it too toy-like.
Hm :thinking: i realy dont know. First info that's a Dragon rebox.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I looked it up on Scalemates, and it appears all plastic BTR-70s in 1:35, except those by Trumpeter, are originally Dragon kits. So that answers that question :smiling3:

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
I looked it up on Scalemates, and it appears all plastic BTR-70s in 1:35, except those by Trumpeter, are originally Dragon kits. So that answers that question :smiling3:
Me to. Only - i bought decals for UN version, in this (my) original Zvezda kit they are not included.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have the Dragon kit’s UN decals still in my stash, either from the BTR-70 or -80, but I think they’re SFOR, so they would be too late for your model.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I'm not managing prolonged spells at the bench lately...so the train build is on hold. However in the little spats here and there...my madness is continuing to flow. The Toon Tiger now has a completed scratch turret interior and some sort of engine compartment. Still some tinkering to do in the hull, and the upper facing (horizontal) armour. Some of it is accurate, while the rest is complete fantasy. Nonsense meets in the middle (it's a three seater). Enjoy74865CB7-68FD-4E23-9B48-BFAA977A6884.jpeg
30C997ED-993D-4016-96C6-6A271B9AADE9.jpeg
47F91D77-AE21-412F-BA5E-99074CDC4B39.jpeg
CD8A4E49-3BED-404D-A0D1-53A1D1A93BB6.jpeg
103FB58B-5653-4433-8773-6C7E12235455.jpeg

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
BTR 70, UNPROFOR - Sarajevo 1992/93, Ukrainian battalion update:

• On real BTR 70 you can see more than one type of turret, there is simple type, without window front left;
  • On UNPROFOR vehicle N03, that i build, loophole on front right side is more triangular (simmilar as on BMP), than other loopholes that are on left (and right) side, for now i have patched that place, and it will be 3d printed;
  • Decals that i bought are with errors, UKRAINA below flag on turret on half cyrilic - half latinic (o boy), with no proper colour and font
    (on every picture or video I’ve seen there is blue cyrilic sign, not dark, and not half cyrilic half latinic), i will make my own decals;
  • Half assembled and painted 1st layer.
Little correction. There realy was wehicles with smaller dark insignia "Ukraina"; from Star Decals informed me with pictures :smiling3: .... but...still, we that can read cyrillic in first look can see that some letters are wrong. I hope this small error in further will be corrected.

cjJ8av.jpg
fSf6LM.jpg

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My advice would be to send an e-mail to Star Decals to explain the mistake in the markings. It of course won’t be fixed immediately, but after I pointed out something similar in a set of decals for tanks used in my area, the current version of that set includes a second bit of paper with the markings that were missing in the original version.

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
My advice would be to send an e-mail to Star Decals to explain the mistake in the markings. It of course won’t be fixed immediately, but after I pointed out something similar in a set of decals for tanks used in my area, the current version of that set includes a second bit of paper with the markings that were missing in the original version.
I did it. We'll see what they say ...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Johann Lexell will probably tell you that the set can’t be fixed until he does another print run. But at least that will help future modellers :smiling3:

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
Johann Lexell will probably tell you that the set can’t be fixed until he does another print run. But at least that will help future modellers :smiling3:
I added him video ... there is clear insignia on 0:24 minute

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Been a while since I posted progress on this Romanian Ford (G-8-T). All the detail work is done except the load bed tarp and placement of the windshield wipers. Paint will be next....the few pics. I have found on the net all seem to indicate they were painted in schwarzegrau.....difficult to tell with B/W photos but a fairly safe bet based on when they were captured. Rick H.View attachment 434481View attachment 434482
Nice Rick, liking the very neat tarp supports.

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Dale

Years ago someone told me about tissue paper too. Doesn't need much all your need to do is keep the packaging from shoes or clothes a couple of times and you have a lifetimes worth...

ATB.

Andrew
Agree Andrew, the tissue paper is superb. Mind Paul's use of PVA glue for a sheet seemed very effective.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm not managing prolonged spells at the bench lately...so the train build is on hold. However in the little spats here and there...my madness is continuing to flow. The Toon Tiger now has a completed scratch turret interior and some sort of engine compartment. Still some tinkering to do in the hull, and the upper facing (horizontal) armour. Some of it is accurate, while the rest is complete fantasy. Nonsense meets in the middle (it's a three seater). EnjoyView attachment 435726
View attachment 435722
View attachment 435724
View attachment 435725
View attachment 435727
That engine pipe work is top class Jack .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi All,

Yea, I'm still alive and still working even though I am retired as of the first of this month. The Hetzer is well under way and here's a little update.

Now can someone tell me what's wrong in this picture,
View attachment 435169
And what's corrected in this picture,
View attachment 435170
Yup, a total brain cramp by gluing the final drive housings on backwards....DOH!!!...Had to pry them off, clean them up and re-glue them back on correctly. At least the base coat of dark yellow came out really good. Still can't decide which camo to put on her, but I did begin weathering the chassis,
View attachment 435171
Some Eastern Front mud from a pot. It's from Reality in Scale and comes in different shades. It also has grass and twigs in it too. While this was drying, I painted up the wheels and such,
View attachment 435172
I used my silver pencil and some burnt metal paint from AV to simulate wear from the tracks. Another brain cramp came as I weathered the outside lip of the idler wheels not remembering the track horns move on the inside of them!!! Old age I guess......

This weekend I hope to get her pretty much finished so I can move on and join Peter's GB for shelf queens. Lord knows I got enough of them lying around..........................Thanks for looking.............

Prost
Allen
My word Dude 1 that's looking good. Like the Eastern front Mud esp .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Both the research and the build on yout BTR are top notch MAK.. Hope you get the decals sorted out.

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
BTR 70, UNPROFOR - Sarajevo 1992/93, Ukrainian battalion update:

• On real BTR 70 you can see more than one type of turret, there is simple type, without window front left;
  • On UNPROFOR vehicle N03, that i build, loophole on front right side is more triangular (simmilar as on BMP), than other loopholes that are on left (and right) side, for now i have patched that place, and it will be 3d printed;
  • Decals that i bought are with errors, UKRAINA below flag on turret on half cyrilic - half latinic (o boy), with no proper colour and font
    (on every picture or video I’ve seen there is blue cyrilic sign, not dark, and not half cyrilic half latinic), i will make my own decals;
  • Half assembled and painted 1st layer.

View attachment 435778
View attachment 435779
Little correction. There realy was wehicles with smaller dark insignia "Ukraina"; from Star Decals informed me with pictures :smiling3: .... but...still, we that can read cyrillic in first look can see that some letters are wrong. I hope this small error in further will be corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.