What's on the Bench? 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That looks superb Steve :smiling3:
That "Jigsaw" type camo has to be one of the hardest to get to look "right".... And you've certainly more than achieved that mate!
A cracking result to be sure !!
Andy

Up early this morning Mr Smith!! It was certainly a wet one last night. I hope you didn't get flooded out.

The black lines helped a lot tidying it up but it was fun to do, but then I am a masochist :smiling5: :smiling5: :cool: :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Up early this morning Mr Smith!! It was certainly a wet one last night. I hope you didn't get flooded out.

The black lines helped a lot tidying it up but it was fun to do, but then I am a masochist :smiling5: :smiling5: :cool: :thumb2:
Yep,up early as the weather was so foul overnight I had to get up and drive Rach to work for her 4:30 am start!! :sad:
.... Couldn't get back to sleep when I got back!
I see what you're saying about the black lines helping.... it's still a tricky look mind to get mate :smiling3:
Andy

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Fraid not Paul…..it just takes what it takes. I usually start prep once I’ve started painting the previous bunch. Little and often gets the job done with minimum tediousness……
As well as the small curved scalpel blade (I think it's actually 15, not 15A), fine emery paper and sanding sponges, I've been using the Citadel mouldline remover, which works surprisingly well for some stuff.

I'm starting to realize that, where the line goes through complex detail, it's sometimes better to lose some of that detail in order to remove the line, rather than making an awful mess trying to work around it.

It's still a mighty pain!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
As well as the small curved scalpel blade (I think it's actually 15, not 15A), fine emery paper and sanding sponges, I've been using the Citadel mouldline remover, which works surprisingly well for some stuff.

I'm starting to realize that, where the line goes through complex detail, it's sometimes better to lose some of that detail in order to remove the line, rather than making an awful mess trying to work around it.

It's still a mighty pain!
You are correct sir. It’s a 15 I use, not a 15a. The image I got when checking was incorrectly labelled :loudly-crying: 15a is a straight bladed version. I have a three sided scraper for cleaning up large white metal castings, but for figures I find a scalpel blade more effective.
Absolutely right. The line jumps out far more than the loss of detail. My pet hate is designers that put the mould line right through the middle of the face along the line of the nose :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: The Perry Sudan Brits are a classic example. Great sculpts but really stupid mould design on the heads…..I suppose the only up side is that you get proper ears…..

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here's where I'm stumped. Important location, tricky to mask the line with paint, reluctant to lose the wavy hair detail - but it's impossible to get a suitable tool in there! Saw mention of a "micro chisel'' recently - wonder if one of those might help?20211030_141934.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’d go with a small single fold of 400 grit wet and dry. It should be stiff enough to keep its shape and so work like a very fine round file, leaving you able to remodel the wavy hair if needed…..it should work on the cloak as well…..

Reactions: JR

MAK2020

SMF Supporter
First Name
MAK2020
1/35 Bradley M2 infantry version. Gulf war 1991. Basic kit Tamiya.

Adding antislip. Base and primer colour is drap olive green (painted before 1991). Regular colour over it will be FS33446 for desert as regulative AR750-1 from this period says (standard sand yellow colour from Desert Storm).

ZSZRuw.jpg
xwbriH.jpg
U0NoiK.jpg

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Paul
i mainly use a Scalpel fitted with a number 15A blade, and sometimes some 400 grit wet and dry. The blade is a small curved one that can be used to scrape or cut. I prefer curved blades for scraping because you don’t get surface scratches. Takes about fifteen minutes a figure though….
Tim,
The 15 is the most-used blade in my varied armoury - definitely the most versatile and I'd recommend anybody to add them if not already in possession!
Steve

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim,
The 15A is the most-used blade in my varied armoury - definitely the most versatile and I'd recommend anybody to add them if not already in possession!
Steve
Totally agree. I buy them by the hundred……it’s far cheaper. I use unsterile only though, I’m cutting plastic, not skin!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Me too! The lower curve of the blade is also so useful for 'adzing' seam lines on round components!
Also works well for scraping seams off of flat components without leaving tram lines…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well the big pig is done….
C5FA3A0F-6255-4002-8C46-2A6EDD019BAA.jpeg
More shots on her own thread here..

Status
Not open for further replies.