Wingnut Wings 1/32 Halberstadt Cl.II (late)

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Greetings from the Aerodrome,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner as a bit of life and play have gotten in the way of progress. Also trying to ketchup with all the fines things going on here as well. I'm still way behind though....

Thank you Nick!!! It's fun stuff to work with, but very delicate. Care is needed when working with it and getting CA to stick to it too...

Thanks for the kind words Jim!!! I just try to do my best and jump each hurdle as it comes. Yea, sometimes I land on my face, but I get up and start again. It makes this hobby so much fun...

A little update on the cart will follow. I want to say I got off the track here as it has nothing to do with the Halberstadt build itself. It was a hair up the butt sort of thing. The Halberstadt itself is finished and the dio is going to go on hold for now. I want to paint the figs along with other figs that I need. I really don't want to fire up the wet palette for just 2 figs, when I have 5 or more to do. I have until July to finish this and maybe get a good start on another project that's on my drawing board. I would like to take the Halberstadt to a show in the middle of July...

I finally worked out the details for the pump unit and went about doing the scratchy. I found the resin parts from Blast Models weren't going to work for the plumbing, so I made my own out of other tidbits,

View attachment 482971
The top and bottom pipes aren't glued yet. The two flat pieces with the holes are the supports for the rod with the hook to hang the hose on. The tan piece will be the wooden pump handle and the plug looking thang goes on the barrel top and is where the pump unit will sit. After a lot of fiddling around and careful applications of TET, we had this,

View attachment 482972
A test fit to see if it looked Ok in place and hopefully in scale with the rest of the cart. Another pic,

View attachment 482974
I can live with it. There is still a few things to add, finish assembling the wheels, measuring out some hose and then shoot a coat of paint on it. With having only a couple of pics to go by, patience and the GGFGS, it should be good enough and look the part too. It will (hopefully) be used in another wing thingy build later...

Finally, as you may have noticed by my recent purchases, I have become fascinated with floaty things (calm down Chris) that were stationed at Zeebrugge in Belgium, from 1915-18 and have wings on them. I still have my love for 1/35 armor and play with those too. My scratchy mojo has been really high in retirement and I want to take advantage of it while I can and/or before I get too old and shaky to do it....

I want to take the Halberstadt outside, if the wind would die down a bit, to take some decent pics and post them in the completed section this weekend. Then maybe start playing with my next (semi) scratchy project,

View attachment 482979
Turning an Albatros D.1, (L) into an Albatros W.4 late (R)...Scratch building floats, struts, radiator in the top wing, re-making the wing ribbing, shortening the rear wing, etc. etc. and so on!!!...........Sounds like heaven!!!................

Prost
Allen

PS, can some one please post a simple (for dummies like me) way/formula to convert real dimensions into 1/32 dimensions. TIA...
Gosh.Very envious of your scratch wizadry my friend.Im contenting myself watching you guys create as my mojo is zippo at mo.We have had nearly 2 weeks of wind here on East coast in u.k.Plus my dear wife has to contend with a flatulent husband and cats.
Great work bud.Yourself and many on here brighten my days with your humour and banter always.
Carry on bud.
Richard

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Morning Youngerthanme,
Just got back on the forum from my dog sitting and house cleaning duties while SWMBO is away upsetting our American cousins....
That is a fine bit of scratchery you have done, but you have to be aware that soon you will be classed in with others like myself as belonging to the dark side....
Looking forward to your next project...
Prost
Olderthanyou.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yo Mike, what's it like sittin' on dogs?....a bit "wobbly" if you ask me! ;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry, I just saw this as I have been butt deep in scratchin' plastic for a new wing thingy build...

Sorry to hear that the Mojo is gone Rich. Hopefully it will come back soon. Thanks for the kind words and if you can't have a good time in a build and some humor, It's just not worth it. Take care my friend...

Olderthanme, you know I love the dark arts. I'm just not as good at it as you are, Mike. I won't get into sitting on dogs or breakin' wind, even if I do have brain farts at the table. Thanks Buddy!!!...

Rick, I'm really starting to worry even more about you!!! I guess the wind is really thin in your neck of Montana Bro...