Wortham layout

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That white sedan reminds me of about a 1960 or so Dodge Polara......it's pretty deformed so not really sure. Lee's right Scottie, steel was cheap and Detroit used plenty of it!:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Backdrop looks great Lee. Love the idea of a “cushioned car” as well. I assume that type protects the contents with better springing? Not sure we had anything comparable, though there were “shock absorbing wagons” on UK railways later on, which protected the contents from the excesses of shunting exuberance. The UK railways were technically pretty backward looking during the steam age :smiling5:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Backdrop looks great Lee. Love the idea of a “cushioned car” as well. I assume that type protects the contents with better springing? Not sure we had anything comparable, though there were “shock absorbing wagons” on UK railways later on, which protected the contents from the excesses of shunting exuberance. The UK railways were technically pretty backward looking during the steam age :smiling5:
Tim it was the Underframe to help the damaged of freight when they Hooked to a boxcars and unhooked from them and the whiplash when stopping and starting. Thanks for the complement on the Back Drop I put it on some foam board yesterday I’ll try it out sometime this week if I make it to the layout.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Love the back drop Lee and the memories of truck driving with your dad. Really nice to read .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim it was the Underframe to help the damaged of freight when they Hooked to a boxcars and unhooked from them and the whiplash when stopping and starting. Thanks for the complement on the Back Drop I put it on some foam board yesterday I’ll try it out sometime this week if I make it to the layout.
Ah, I see Lee. Just like a shock absorbing wagon then……it does exactly the same job :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Lee. the asphalt on the streets looks new........have you had the pavers working overtime???? Nice looking assortment of vehicles......so glad you are puttering around in the "perfect" scale again!! BTW, do you have any steam power to operate on this layout?..........LOVE steam power! :thumb2: Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Lee. the asphalt on the streets looks new........have you had the pavers working overtime???? Nice looking assortment of vehicles......so glad you are puttering around in the "perfect" scale again!! BTW, do you have any steam power to operate on this layout?..........LOVE steam power! :thumb2: Rick H.
The streets just been cleaned Rick. I’ve had those streets since 2012. Yeah I’m needing a break from building models at this time but I’ll get back to it soon. I really like HO and O scale really don’t have a favorite. I have more stuff in HO I need to get on the layout though. I just couldn’t stand to see this layout go to waste after all my hard work all those years that’s why I’m messing around with it m. I have one Steam Engine in O scale but never had much luck with them in HO. Thanks for the complement.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Lee lovely layout an the streets an buildings look real an i see you have got chritine the devil car parked there in pic three lol but very nicely done an i like a lot
chris b

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
HI Lee lovely layout an the streets an buildings look real an i see you have got chritine the devil car parked there in pic three lol but very nicely done an i like a lot
chris b
Thanks Chris for the complement. Here’s still a lot of work to be done on the building’s. That’s a 1958 Chevy Bel-Air parked there in front of the stores it just looks like a imposter. Lol. Glad you like the layout I’ll have more pic soon.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Lee
Great to see this being brought back to life. The vehicles really add a sense of period to the layout.
Jim
Thanks Jim. I’m glad I didn’t sell it or tear it down and throw it away like a planed on doing. I’ll have more updates on it soon

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Lee hope you dont sell it or even worst dump it that would upset me as this is a work of art in minature very well done an i look forward to seeing more pics as i was dissapointe that PaulE TOOK HIS DOWN as i love seein model railways i was dissapointed that i lost mine
chris b

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
HI Lee hope you dont sell it or even worst dump it that would upset me as this is a work of art in minature very well done an i look forward to seeing more pics as i was dissapointe that PaulE TOOK HIS DOWN as i love seein model railways i was dissapointed that i lost mine
chris b
It’s OK Chris it is still up I took those pictures yesterday as a matter of fact. I don’t think this layout is going anywhere now I’ll be adding 4’ length to it one of these days. After selling well over half of the HO stuff I had I still have plenty to play with trust me so you will be seeing more stuff being added like Rolling Stock, Vehicle’s and Structures. Kick back and relax and enjoy my layout pics. I’m sorry you lost yours and PaulE layout was had to watch as he had to let it go. I’ve talked to him on a thread on day and he said someday he will have a another one so there’s hope.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Worked some more on the layout today. I added a White 9000 Truck that was on the layout originally back in 2012 I rebuilt it and added new decals to it. I have been removing the old landscaping back when I first started this I didn’t know the trick of adding landscaping. Now that I know I want to redo some parts of the layout. The Lumber yard was a little busy yesterday too. Hope you are enjoying the pics of the HO layout I’ll be adding things to it more soon. EE0D26DC-FDD7-4AA6-AA7D-D94DE5E1ACDC.jpegEE692BA3-B0DE-4D99-984F-A1FAD33079F2.jpeg3EDDFF26-8914-4897-8384-CCACA908AE18.jpeg98CA70A0-D547-4A28-B616-CCC8A93DE874.jpegDA343460-FA02-4EA0-BB99-B7C506FC1D27.jpegF425C8F8-050B-4B18-9804-0B13A2DE54D4.jpeg0C7635AA-E533-4850-AB4A-B4C85177CC84.jpeg56D708FB-01E6-4C52-B669-C274591CC842.jpeg9FA7F75B-0612-4E08-B446-7A7483E3263F.jpegEA62F375-222F-4231-A20D-389A63940CE0.jpeg

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Excellent progress Lee, Is that 9000 a Sylvan? Needs a 30 foot Fruehauf behind it to make it perfect! :thumb2: Rick H.
Yes it is.I like Sylvans Subjects but hate the Resin they use it can’t take any heat and they wrap easy like this trucks doors did over years on the layout. I’m not done rebuilding the trailer for it yet and Mashkin had 40’ mostly Strick trailers of there own but they Drayage for other companies. Fruehauf is my favorite trailer to pull. I’ve pulled many Fruehauf Piggybacks they pull like there’s nothing back there. Glad you like the progress

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I like the early Fruehaufs.......always thought the were very stylish looking, with the wings on the front of the van body.
I know what you mean about Sylvan's resin, very difficult to work with and undersized as well. Sometimes it's the only game in town and you have to "bite" the bullet. I have his 1940 super power tandem day cab, I was going to use the cab to build a captured French fuel tanker (France military bought some before the outbreak of WW2) but the cab is so small it looks like it belongs on a pick up. Don't think I'll ever build it. Don't forget to snap a few distance shots of the layout so we can see your track plan all layed out. Thanks for posting the progress shots.
Rick H.