Wortham layout

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I like the early Fruehaufs.......always thought the were very stylish looking, with the wings on the front of the van body.
I know what you mean about Sylvan's resin, very difficult to work with and undersized as well. Sometimes it's the only game in town and you have to "bite" the bullet. I have his 1940 super power tandem day cab, I was going to use the cab to build a captured French fuel tanker (France military bought some before the outbreak of WW2) but the cab is so small it looks like it belongs on a pick up. Don't think I'll ever build it. Don't forget to snap a few distance shots of the layout so we can see your track plan all layed out. Thanks for posting the progress shots.
Rick H.
HI Rick what do you mean by wings on Fruehuaf vans ? as i helped to build them in the late 60's an 70 's an i cant remember wings but it may be as we was CRANE FRUEHAUF that we built them different to your Fruehauf in the
U S A ? AN lee love the layout an that little grey truck with the wood in an i see you have some buildings like i had brilliant moddeling at its best i think
MORE PLEASE
chris b

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
HI Rick what do you mean by wings on Fruehuaf vans ? as i helped to build them in the late 60's an 70 's an i cant remember wings but it may be as we was CRANE FRUEHAUF that we built them different to your Fruehauf in the
U S A ? AN lee love the layout an that little grey truck with the wood in an i see you have some buildings like i had brilliant moddeling at its best i think
MORE PLEASE
chris b
He means the little icons on the sides of the old 1940s and 1950s trailers like on these trailers that’s on my layout AB663C7F-75C2-4FDA-AFEE-D35F6634E8A1.jpeg

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
AN lee love the layout an that little grey truck with the wood in an i see you have some buildings like i had brilliant moddeling at its best i think
Chris thank you for the nice complement. I’m trying to put more focus on details this time around with the layout than before

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
but the cab is so small it looks like it belongs on a pick up.
Rick those White WC22 cabs were very small like a 1940s Ford pickup. I had a White 9000 real truck at one time they shared the same cab. My dad drove a White WC22 back in the late 1950s. He said when them old White six cylinder flathead Mustang Engines had so much compression at night when the would backfire it would light up the whole Highway.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Lee
I really enjoy the pictures of the layout. It's clear that it's much more than a "train set" - it's a slice of American history.
Jim
Thanks Jim. Yes it is many people better than me Model actual places and make it look so real. I like to build mine on places around my area and people who lived here that made my little area I grew up in a beautiful place to live.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Lee. That is looking excellent. I don't know much about American trains except how bl**dy long they are. One passed bye whilst I was driving through Arizona, and I thought it was never going to end. ;) .
John.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Lee. That is looking excellent. I don't know much about American trains except how bl**dy long they are. One passed bye whilst I was driving through Arizona, and I thought it was never going to end. ;) .
John.
Jaycee. Thanks for the complement on the layout. I’m around trains every day and as much as I enjoy them they sometimes become irritating waiting on one in the Train Yards I go in

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
'At's ok Lee........you're not certifiable until you have spent week-ends along various points enroute of freight trains passing over the Tehachepi Loop or down grade runs into Mojave with the Dynamic brakes screaming on a quad lash-up of SD45 tunnel motors and then you show up in Stockton for an event called WinterRail and show the slides you took to an auditorium of thousands of other "certifiables"......and they go crazy because they are all "Rail Fans"!! :tongue-out3::tongue-out2::tongue-out:;) Believe it or not, some folks actually enjoy being irritated waiting for trains......I am no longer one of them:sad-face:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Lee

Completely missed this somehow. What a great layout. Love all the little extra touches, especially the most recent accident!!

Very well done.

Andrew

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Here’s some Custom Reefers Cars I Paint and Decaled over the years. The Cotton Belt and the Frisco are old Tyco’s. The Armour’s Star is a Blue Box Athearn and the Westcott & Winks is a old Walthers Kit. I added the Autocar Model U Barrel truck that I also Custom built several years ago the bed was a 1/72 scale Millitary one I cut down to 1/87 scale. I hand painted it Cockpit Green and added some decals from a old Jordan Models AC Mack. While I was at it I took a few more pics around the Layout as well. I’ll have more update pics of the layout later this week B2007592-F259-4D48-B87C-AA5E6FF8DD1C.jpegD0D8892A-45BD-4DB9-A9AE-F3F3BB7EF174.jpeg1FA20127-467F-4064-B98C-444B7B676CA0.jpegB2A384BC-2570-4718-B654-AB82835A3F48.jpeg0BD7CFAE-F07A-47E4-BF0B-625A948F5D64.jpegEDD69BCF-2ED5-45C3-AB7F-E3BE94747C62.jpeg16502B76-4423-4AC5-9C9B-517FC4DD3830.jpeg

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Lee

Completely missed this somehow. What a great layout. Love all the little extra touches, especially the most recent accident!!

Very well done.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew for the nice Complement. Yeah I thought that would be pretty neat to add to the layout. I’ll have some more pics later on this week of the Layout. Glad you found it and dropped in.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Yesterday I made a driveway for the Fire House and move the Gas Station made a mock up to see how it looks and added a parking lot for it also. I need to weather them both a little more. CAA7040A-E415-4C53-891D-E18AAED86AD8.jpegBCD8C0A0-60EE-4217-A984-997151567F95.jpeg7AF97C6D-0172-48D9-9EF5-6B2E691E951D.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Lee.........might I suggest the fire house with the door up and a nice Seagrave parked in the "ready" bay? Just a thought.:thumb2:
All else is progressing nicely and the town will be a vibrant ball of activity, once the "folks" show up......Town square and a small park with swing set and slide......hmmmmm.;)

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Lee.........might I suggest the fire house with the door up and a nice Seagrave parked in the "ready" bay? Just a thought.:thumb2:
All else is progressing nicely and the town will be a vibrant ball of activity, once the "folks" show up......Town square and a small park with swing set and slide......hmmmmm.;)
Thanks Rick for the Suggestion on the Fire House and Trucks. I’m not a big fan of Seagrave Fire Trucks I’m a big fan of Mack and American LaFrance. I’ll be putting a Mack C that I Custom built years ago from Ratcliffe Models and I’ll be building a Custom Mack B-85 Open Top Pumper for that truck I will use a Sylvans Models one and cut the top off. For that Door I haven’t made my mind up since I built this kit years ago. I probably leave it closed I really like a Fire House with Red Doors. I’m going have to re-paint this again but this time I hope the color turns out the way I want. I did find some very old HO figs the other night that I had I’m going to try to incorporate in it. The Park is a good idea never thought of that Rick I may have to try that. Thanks for the complements on the updates I’ll have more this weekend.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If it's red and has ladders on it I'm ok with what ever you choose......can't handle yellow or green fire trucks! Reminds me of the crash trucks at the Airport.:tongue-out2: Yeah, figs really make a scene come alive that French site I pointed you to (Autho87) they use a lot of figs in their scenes and some of it is quite comical at times. One guy had a Circus layout with clowns and animals, even had a Big Top! Back when I did a fire house with my daughter for her school project, I used a brick red color for the DPM model I converted to a fire house.....came out just right. Keep the updates coming Lee, I for one look forward to them in either scale.:thumb2:
Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
can't handle yellow or green fire trucks!
You got that right! I never will like them. Thanks for pointing out what kind of paint to use and the web site. I have lots Circus stuff in HO more than O Scale. Don Mills and I would talk for hours about Circus Wagons and Trucks Ringling Brothers had back in the 40s and 50s he gave a lot of tips on Modeling the Circus Equipment. This is a Rix Small Town Models kit. The Fire House was a Taxi cab station but I thought it would make a great little Fire House. I need your input on what kinda car would you suggest as a Fire Chief’s car? The year is around 1958-59 I’m doing. I don’t mind to re-paint and add decals just need some more ideas besides mind. Thanks for your nice comments and I’ll be adding more updates.