Zvedza T-34/85 for Simon's Memorial build

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice start on the T-34 Chris :thumb2:
I had great fun with this kit a few years ago.
Have fun
Steven

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What's not to like Chris about a T34. As Steven rightly says a nice start .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice kit. Should be a fun build. Looking forward to seeing how you get on

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Grabed some more time at the bench, and here's where i'm at... (managed to loose this towing hook, i cut it off the sprue a few days ago, but didnt attach it for some reason..doh , ( i'm now thinking of hiding it with a tarp drooped over it....or a quick soldering iron job to create some damage., hmmmm any ideas ?)
IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

IMG_4200.jpg

Black based and white highlights

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

IMG_4206.jpg

And just for Mr Race, a lashings of 4BO

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
You're nearly finished there Chris, looking good in 4BO.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
You're nearly finished there Chris, looking good in 4BO.

Thanks buddy,
there's a bit of weathering to deal with once this has had some 'drying time'. I've a few ideas I want to try out...

But I'm pleased with the colours so far..

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
After having another look at this today, I'm not 100% happy with the finish, it seems way too dark... what's the best way to lighten it up ? should i mist over a bit of yellow ? or maybe a light green ?

any help / ideas would be appreciated ..

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes yes yes. The highlighting has paid off Chris, remember it's hard to find the exact shade of paint, / light direction, you have it right.
Most photos of wartime T34s and other armour today show paint that has had time to alter with light and weathering so always difficult to replicate.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Yes yes yes. The highlighting has paid off Chris, remember it's hard to find the exact shade of paint, / light direction, you have it right.
Most photos of wartime T34s and other armour today show paint that has had time to alter with light and weathering so always difficult to replicate.

Thanks John, it's good to know you approve how it's turned out... :thumb2:
And of course not forgetting everyone else who's commented, thanks to one and all.

A quick question though,
Does anybody know which Russian Tank Battalions participated in the Battle of Berlin ?,

Thing is I don't really like the decal options in the kit, (the decal option in the kit has you painting a white stripe over the upper surfaces on the turret and hull, whereas I much prefer the white stripe along the side of the turret).

I have managed to find some spare Lend Lease Sherman decals ,(basically a different turret number..'936', and according to the instructions would be from a M4A2 in Berlin during 1945) So I was wondering if they would look out of place if I were to swap them over..?

This is the Sherman

Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Can`t help with the info request Chris!
I just wanted to say that i love the job you`re doing on this one,looks really good!! :cool:
That`s one smooth paint job!
Cheers,
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Russian tanks were very light on the markings, and the turret numbers deliberately don’t exactly refer to units like the German ones did. Really, if you put any two- or three-digit number on the tank and nothing else, you’ll be fine. Other markings may have been used, like geometrical figures with numbers etc. inside or next to them, but you can’t go really wrong with just numbers.

The white turret markings, though, should almost certainly be there if your intention is to model a vehicle from the Battle of Berlin. They were air recognition markings, to prevent aircraft from the Western Allies attacking Russian tanks because they didn’t recognise them as “not German”. These consisted of a white line around the sides of the turret and a white cross (front-and-aft, not diagonal) on the turret roof. Usually, this was painted by hand and none too neatly, but leaving room for the turret numbers.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks Jakko, that's just what I needed to confirm.. :thumb2:

just found this pic, and apparently according to the article ' T-34/85's had three towing loops on the rear of the hull.... ??? first time I've seen this, would I be correct in saying this looks like an 'addition' done after the vehicle was made..?

t34-85-tank-rear.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris .
First Guards Tank Army, the 3rd Guards Tank Army and the 4th Guards Tank Army .A full account can be found on the Berlinexperiences.com /the- battle- of- Berlin - 1945 -day -day - account/ .
Never seen 3 towing points before, agree with you about being an addition.
John .