Zvezda 1/35 T-34/85 & others.................

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Do the drive sprocket and idler wheel have locating pins so they only fit one way? If the track links fit into the jig only in one way, that would be necessary for it to be guaranteed to fit around the wheels.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
The drive sprockets are keyed to fit one way, but the idlers are smooth, so can be fitted in any orientation
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
No, wait, that’s right, the idlers on the real tank didn’t have crosspieces between the halves for the teeth to slot between. The sprockets have rollers in them to push the track teeth, so they would need to go in a fixed position on the model, but it doesn’t really matter for the idlers.

BTW, here’s a translation of the T-34’s service manual with original illustrations:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Here's how the jig performed.................DSCF0952.JPG
Sprocket end of the top run on jig.

DSCF0953.JPG
Idler end on jig ( you can't assemble the whole run - a) You'd never get it off the jig b) If you could it'd never fit over the tank sprocket/idler.

DSCF0954.JPG
This is just dry fitted at the moment - it actually is perfect in length etc.
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think Zvezda hit upon a good idea with those track jigs.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I think it shows that Zvezda have a designer on their team, who actually builds models ( or knows someone who does ), and can carry ideas through to production.
I've now made quite a few of their modern production offerings, and I've yet to be disappointed ( I'm talking about new tooling after about 2012 ). They don't have PE, but the detail levels are high enough to not need them. They sometimes attempt too much with scale thicknesses, making fragile assemblies, but they try.
Looking at prices................... if you shop around. and, providing you don't want a full interior model you, can pick up a Zvezda T-34/85 for around the £20 mark ( leaving out the Tamiya 60's model ), the next competitors are around the £30 mark ( Airfix/Academy ) then £40+ from MiniArt etc. The higher cost models may have more features & PE parts, but as a finished model, I don't think that will be immediately apparent!
I still feel that Zvezda are hampered by their poor reputation from 'last century' clunky, crude models ( and a touch of 'brand snobbery' ), but now they can produce models as good as any other maker.
Dave
sorry for the bit of a rant, my wrist is giving me gyp, and I don't think I'll be getting any benchtime today......:sad:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve not built any recent Zvezda kits, but from what I’ve seen — mainly your posts about them — they look very good, I agree. I’ll certainly keep them in mind next time I do want to build a model of a subject they have a kit of.

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The first Zvezda model that really was a step up for me was the MSTA-S, that I completed in Sept. 2018 ( 2 years ago? )
fin 01.jpg
I'd made some of their other new ones before, but this was the one that made me realise that Zvezda were getting to the top level. It's true that their subjects are Russian slanted, but they obviously work to their home market.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Ibuprofen gel has worked it's magic - and I've finished the lower hull, complete with tracks.
DSCF0956.JPG
DSCF0955.JPG
If you follow the instructions carefully, you use the correct number of links, then the fit is very good. Total fitting time was very short, possibly the shortest, other than rubber band tracks! A nice thing is that you have a dozen spare links left over.
Couldn't resist trying the upper hull for fit......................
DSCF0957.JPG
I'll put this aside for the moment, and start on the upper works.
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The Ibuprofen gel has worked it's magic - and I've finished the lower hull, complete with tracks.
View attachment 398521
View attachment 398520
If you follow the instructions carefully, you use the correct number of links, then the fit is very good. Total fitting time was very short, possibly the shortest, other than rubber band tracks! A nice thing is that you have a dozen spare links left over.
Couldn't resist trying the upper hull for fit......................
View attachment 398522
I'll put this aside for the moment, and start on the upper works.
Dave
This is looking brilliant so far Dave,

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice sunny morning in Gloucestershire - and more work on the T-34 the turret & barrel mount assembled. The barrel is one piece, with a separate hollow muzzle piece. There is a rolled tarp, to fit on the back of the turret, but I may leave it off to give more space to the riders.
DSCF0958.JPG

Rear plate & exhaust added to the upper hull - the fuel tanks and oil tanks ( small ones on the rear plate ) added. The oil tanks have 2 tiny brackets - one I broke, the other the carpet monster snacked on.................
The drum parts are all numbered individually, as they are slightly different, I didn't pay attention & cut all the parts off the sprue, then spent a while puzzling as to which way they fitted!
DSCF0959.JPG
Although you can't see it, I've bent the front fenders a bit, to show a bit of collision damage. Its going together very well, I've a few boxes, saws & handles to add to the hull & I can think about priming it.
The turret needs a bit more work - I need to fabricate a perch for the commander, as there is absolutely no interior at all, there are clear periscopes to add, but I think I can add those after painting. Most important are the grab rails for the tank riders - I'll need to think about assembling the bodies to see where they will fit best.
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Dave

Just caught up with this and it's looking very good indeed.

I don't know anything about their bigger kits but the small together 1/72 snap together kits and figures for their Art of Tactic wargame are very nice and the 88 was one of the best kits I've made. Looking at this I might have to give the bigger scale a go at some point. The jig is a great idea too!

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Considering their cost they are a good build, my first model when I returned was a T34 Zvezda and the Tamiya tank riders .
Your build is looking good Dave, some nice details and although I dislike plastic tracks because I just can't glue them those do look good .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Considering their cost they are a good build, my first model when I returned was a T34 Zvezda and the Tamiya tank riders .
Your build is looking good Dave, some nice details and although I dislike plastic tracks because I just can't glue them those do look good .
John,
these tracks are the easiest I've ever done, the fit is good, and there are large gluing areas, so they stay stuck!
I've been looking at the latest Zvezda SU-100 & SU-122 models - it's a case of finding them at a price I like!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Zvezda don't do PE - for the cooling grille on the rear of the engine deck, they supply a square of plastic mesh ( ans a template on the instructions )
DSCF0960.JPG
Using CA, this is sandwiched between upper & lower frames ( carefully )
DSCF0961.JPG
Just as good as PE, in fact better, because it's 3D!
Upper hull completed, apart from the tools & ice cleats - the drivers hatch is not fitted yet, as it has some clear parts, that are easier to assemble separately. All now primed in black..........................
DSCF0962.JPG

I'm going to break out the figures next, and see how they will fit, just in case they need a little tweaking
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Are those wide louvres on the engine deck, that the grille fits over, moulded shut on this kit?