1/700 scale IJN Ships make over

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks good, they definitely add some hustle and bustle and bring some life to it
Thanks Mark, the more figures there is the more convincing it'll be as the Japanese are like minions who work well in teams.
I have sectionalized areas to populate. I hope to fit crew onto the little boats, crane, oil tank, AA Platform guns, beside the trucks and train depot.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What gets me is the scale, its amazing that you are able to paint and model in such detail Richard, do you have a set on miniature fingers as well . :nerd::smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Those many, many figures do bring it all to life. Including the other ships is a good idea.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
What gets me is the scale, its amazing that you are able to paint and model in such detail Richard, do you have a set on miniature fingers as well . :nerd::smiling3:
Those many, many figures do bring it all to life. Including the other ships is a good idea.
Thanks John and Jim, no set of miniature fingers but I'd like a pair to lift the heavy load on the eyes. It seems the more figures you add the more believable the scene is.

While contemplating the next scenario I was looking at the rather empty spot on Haruna's after deck. I had always wanted to depict a sun canvas canopy on a ship so went straight for it. Using foil from a Milo tin I measured and cut the shape out and used a toothpick to deboss and emboss the detail.
20220824_142857.jpg
This is the spot that will be covered, I will probably create a ceremony being performed under it.
20220824_142821.jpg
Dry fitting to see if it fits before I add pole and rigging supports.
20220824_143013.jpg
I've thought of the ceremony and will be some sort of blessing with an alter and priests with officers seated and enlisted men lined up behind them. Obviously curious onlookers from the Matsu will be craning their necks for a glimpse of the proceedings.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Superb modelling, and finally a use for Milo! Excellent.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Your imagination Richard is amazing as you modelling skill. Really impressive stuff.
Superb modelling, and finally a use for Milo! Excellent.
Miniature madness of the highest degree Richard
Richard,
The figures add a whole new dimension to an already great build.
Outstanding ideas and execution.
Thanks John, Tim, Mick and Scottie.
I recollected seeing a video of a Lady Japanese Admiral launching their newest ship with Shinto priests and altar blessings and thought why not. I think I can wing it since most of it will be hidden from top view.
Milo tin foil is thicker than most. :smiling5:
Mad as a Hatter.
A whole new dimension yes but I couldn't have them do a Village People concert...wrong era and time. :smiling6:

Busy day so only got the support poles on with CA and thin brass wire.
20220825_005511.jpg
The extra piece will be another stretched canvas near the C turret. After the ceremony the officers will be ushered for refreshments there...Sake.
Below is another dry fit. One of the supports needs straightening.
20220825_005252.jpg
I have brushed on a coat of metal primer so once that's dry a coat of white goes on and spot weathering.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great modelling skills especially at this scale. It will add more interest to a build already full of interest

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great modelling skills especially at this scale. It will add more interest to a build already full of interest
Thanks Jim, just looking around the dio to add something is fun in itself.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Jim, just looking around the dio to add something is fun in itself.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
adding models to a diorama = If you can get hold of this
tamiya gato & subchaser.jpg
The submarine chaser is a nice little model - Gato? well I'm sure you could find some use for it!
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard,
adding models to a diorama = If you can get hold of this
View attachment 461610
The submarine chaser is a nice little model - Gato? well I'm sure you could find some use for it!
Dave
Yes I have the Sub chaser which came with the Mine layer and that boat that's berthed at the dock behind the Kuma.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Hong
Your work never cease to amaze me, Richard.
I thought milo can make you strong and healthy, never thought milo foil could make something else good too.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Your work never cease to amaze me, Richard.
I thought milo can make you strong and healthy, never thought milo foil could make something else good too.
Hong...when you drink Milo you also can think out of the box. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Ruchard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes I have the Sub chaser which came with the Mine layer and that boat that's berthed at the dock behind the Kuma.

Cheers,
Richard
Dave, the reason I didn't add the sub chaser is because her lines look very modern. But it is a good little kit.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Basically got the canopy's primed and painted with white and a dash of desert yellow mixed in the remaining white in the recesses of the canopy. Poles are IJN ship grey or whatever I mixed on my pallete to match the ships paintwork.
20220825_113206.jpg
I then formed the remaining Milo foil bits into a folded Japanese screen and base painted it white. I will later squiggle in some design and framework. This will be the backdrop for the table altar.
20220825_113341.jpg
This is the PE part I will use to make the chairs, part of a left over depth charge rack. They are arranged closely so I'll make the base like a bench and have separate backs.
20220825_113547.jpg
I'm hoping to hide much of it with the seated figures.

Cheers,
Richard