1/700 scale IJN Ships make over

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Richard,
I was looking for pictures of boxing on IJN ships, but one of the first sports I came across was kendo & judo. I would think that boxing, being a western import would have been frowned upon by the IJN. It never ceases to amaze me what you can find on the internet!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well done. I think it would have taken me longer than 3 hours and I wouldn't have done such a neat job.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like there will be lots of traffic in the harbor. :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well done. I think it would have taken me longer than 3 hours and I wouldn't have done such a neat job.
Tidy job,definitely a steady hand required there.
Looks like there will be lots of traffic in the harbor. :thumb2:
Thanks Jim, Mark and Rick.
My eyes went a little wonky after finishing the pin wash and painting in the bridge windshields.
Even then the Japanese could manage congestion with their usual teamwork ethics. I like a busy harbour. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They look great Richard, though possibly a little small to play with in the bath :tongue-out3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
They look great Richard, though possibly a little small to play with in the bath :tongue-out3:
Thanks Tim, in the bath I would have the worry about the waves created by my snorkel...:tears-of-joy:
Hell Tim, you could float that "Armada" in a Tea Cup!! :tongue-out3: ;):thumb2::thumb2:
Rightly true,, Rick. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, while recovering from my covid...dang it finally got me...I tinkered with some fine details besides filling up with figures. I don't have the shot of all the updates but I do have some shots of something I realised was missing from the boats and that was the rubber tyre bumpers. I had to make around 40 of those and in that scale found a suitable rod diameter, drilled the center and sliced with a sharp blade into tiny tyres.
20230509_121603.jpg
Placed them on the glue side of masking tape, painted black first then highlighted with a mixture of khaki, russian green, black.
20230509_122911.jpg
Attached them in threes to the boat sides.

I'll get some shots done up soon.

Cheers,
Wabble

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry to hear that Richard. I hope you have no ill effects from the covid crap and are back to normal ASAP. I really can't believe you made 1/700 tires either........Now lie down and give the poor peepers a rest Buddy!!!...and yourself too.......

Gute Besserung
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
There's small.....then there's miniscule, these qualify for the latter description. I'll stick with 1-87 scale!! Seems enormous by comparison Richard. ;)
Rick, I think the scale doesn't become apparent after working on it for a while when looking through magnifiers. Only when you stand back and take it all in.
Sorry to hear that Richard. I hope you have no ill effects from the covid crap and are back to normal ASAP. I really can't believe you made 1/700 tires either........Now lie down and give the poor peepers a rest Buddy!!!...and yourself too.......

Gute Besserung
Allen
Thanks Allen, can't tell yet but I have less stamina. Doesn't help either when I have to get round the fact that I'm getting old. Tiny used tyres...crazy isn't it. :smiling6: Perhaps after the Penang show I'll take a rest.
Glad you've recovered from the COVID and hope there are no lingering effects. Great work on the very, very tiny tyres.
Thanks Jim, tiredness I guess is the lingering effect for now. I had to try the tyres out to see if it worked...

Promised some piccies to show what little I have done...
20230510_115020.jpg
Worked on the wakes too
20230510_115112.jpg
Got depth charge cage and figures fitted to this rear end.
20230510_115042.jpg
Cleaned up the waterline...
20230510_115009.jpg
And finally did up the little forest at the corner with roots and coloured foam.
20230510_120105.jpg
Lots more to do like anchor chains, ropes, rope buoys, bilge pump outlets and touching up of CA stains.

Cheers,
Wabble

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Rick, I think the scale doesn't become apparent after working on it for a while when looking through magnifiers. Only when you stand back and take it all in.

Thanks Allen, can't tell yet but I have less stamina. Doesn't help either when I have to get round the fact that I'm getting old. Tiny used tyres...crazy isn't it. :smiling6: Perhaps after the Penang show I'll take a rest.

Thanks Jim, tiredness I guess is the lingering effect for now. I had to try the tyres out to see if it worked...

Promised some piccies to show what little I have done...
View attachment 481272
Worked on the wakes too
View attachment 481273
Got depth charge cage and figures fitted to this rear end.
View attachment 481274
Cleaned up the waterline...
View attachment 481275
And finally did up the little forest at the corner with roots and coloured foam.
View attachment 481276
Lots more to do like anchor chains, ropes, rope buoys, bilge pump outlets and touching up of CA stains.

Cheers,
Wabble
Don't forget the D*mned Seagulls......the scene would be incomplete without them flapping around and :poop:-ing on everything!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow ! Just Wow !
Wabble take it easy now, it takes time after getting " it ".

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Superb work as always Richard. I mistook the first image for a real life picture. Treat Covid recovery with respect, by the way. It’s a relatively serious illness and it will take you a few weeks to get back to normal.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Amazing realism at 1/700. After my bout of Covid I felt washed out for a few weeks although when I had it it only lasted about 4 days and was luckily mild. Tim's right about the need to respect the time for recovery.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Don't forget the D*mned Seagulls......the scene would be incomplete without them flapping around and :poop:-ing on everything!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
Rick, I'm still figuring out what material to make them from but looking at references the Japanese gulls are like them civic minded and clean...well behaved too. :tears-of-joy:
Wow ! Just Wow !
Wabble take it easy now, it takes time after getting " it ".
Sure John, thanks for the concern.
Superb work as always Richard. I mistook the first image for a real life picture. Treat Covid recovery with respect, by the way. It’s a relatively serious illness and it will take you a few weeks to get back to normal.
Will do Tim, thanks.
YES WABBLE get better soon matey
chrisb
Okay Chris.
Amazing realism at 1/700. After my bout of Covid I felt washed out for a few weeks although when I had it it only lasted about 4 days and was luckily mild. Tim's right about the need to respect the time for recovery.
I actually don't feel too bad Jim and have been doing the usual house chores. The heatwave instead is sapping my energy.

Okay I have the Kuma weathered finally....
20230510_223015.jpg

Cheers,
Wabble