1/700 scale IJN Ships make over

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi all,
The chairs were a fiddly thing to achieve but managed and through that process forgot to take a photo. Anyway I got the figures sitting on them. Basically I bent the PE into a bench of five seats, cut railings, turned them vertically, removed one of the rungs then bent the two remaining rungs for a seat and back. Made five of those and stuck them onto the bench. I left one of the seats empty as the Officer has gone forward to bow at the altar...
20220827_185644.jpg20220827_185721.jpg20220827_185752.jpg20220827_185827.jpg20220827_185839.jpg20220827_190039.jpgI didn't purposely have one of the sailors fall back...he fell by himself. I used gel CA to join the trouser legs for the Shinto priests and painted them black. The raised headdress was just extra sprue attachment painted white.
All this will be hidden from the top by the canopy.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Simply amazing..... outstanding work at such a tiny scale!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
..and then you're going to cover it all up?
bonkers!
WHAT Neil said this Richard is to good to cover over an you must have some blo*dy good peppers to see an paint them an then you say you gonna cover over yes Richard you are bonkers but a fantastic moddeler very well done mate
chrisb

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice little scene Richard. It will certainly add interest to the dio.
Very cool. Great idea.
Great work. Amazing for such tiny details.
Richard, you are having a giraffe - nobody should achieve that level of detail at that scale! Envious, moi... ?
Steve
..and then you're going to cover it all up?
bonkers!
Simply amazing..... outstanding work at such a tiny scale!!
Fantastic Richard , keep it coming .
WHAT Neil said this Richard is to good to cover over an you must have some blo*dy good peppers to see an paint them an then you say you gonna cover over yes Richard you are bonkers but a fantastic moddeler very well done mate
chrisb
Even more excellent than normal. I still reckon you are crazy-but brilliant !!
John.
Thank you kindly Tim, Paul, Jim, Steve, Neil, Andrew, John R, Chris and John. And right after my last posting above SWMBO got me to spring clean my model shelves, move them from the landing to the computer room and I promptly got sick after that with food poisoning. Haven't had that for a while and I thought I had a steel stomach. The gall bladder operation must have changed all that. I thought it was covid at first but no sniffles, no sore throat and still had my sense of taste and smell. Could have been a self preservation trigger to avoid more house work.:smiling6:
Anyway apologies for the late response to very nice comments from you lot.
I have since installed another overhead lamp for better lighting...discovered while tidying up. Feel much better and have decided not to be bonkers and lightly glue the canopy with white glue so all I need to is a spot of water to release the adhesion if I want to reveal what's underneath. Friends have suggested to print the images above and mount them next to the display. What do you think?
The saga of Kure harbour will continue with float plane crew doing maintenance on the ship and dock, paint brushes on long poles for the hull painters as the invention of rollers hadn't reached Japan yet. The huge crane operating crew, train yard, anti aircraft gun emplacement crew, auxiliary ship crew, a lorry having a flat tyre fixed, some sailors taking photographs.
The US ships had regular boxing matches...would the Japanese have Kendo?

I can go wild with this but there will be a limit as I have only 400 figures to go. :smiling6: Okay Steve, you got me at "giraffe".:thinking:

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thank you kindly Tim, Paul, Jim, Steve, Neil, Andrew, John R, Chris and John. And right after my last posting above SWMBO got me to spring clean my model shelves, move them from the landing to the computer room and I promptly got sick after that with food poisoning. Haven't had that for a while and I thought I had a steel stomach. The gall bladder operation must have changed all that. I thought it was covid at first but no sniffles, no sore throat and still had my sense of taste and smell. Could have been a self preservation trigger to avoid more house work.:smiling6:
Anyway apologies for the late response to very nice comments from you lot.
I have since installed another overhead lamp for better lighting...discovered while tidying up. Feel much better and have decided not to be bonkers and lightly glue the canopy with white glue so all I need to is a spot of water to release the adhesion if I want to reveal what's underneath. Friends have suggested to print the images above and mount them next to the display. What do you think?
The saga of Kure harbour will continue with float plane crew doing maintenance on the ship and dock, paint brushes on long poles for the hull painters as the invention of rollers hadn't reached Japan yet. The huge crane operating crew, train yard, anti aircraft gun emplacement crew, auxiliary ship crew, a lorry having a flat tyre fixed, some sailors taking photographs.
The US ships had regular boxing matches...would the Japanese have Kendo?

I can go wild with this but there will be a limit as I have only 400 figures to go. :smiling6: Okay Steve, you got me at "giraffe".:thinking:

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
It was common practice for RN warships to have a painting punt ( usually stored inside one of the larger boats ) so the painting could really reach the waterline! - The last merchant ships I served on had a painting pontoon ( think 3 pairs of 45 gallon oil drums, in a steel framework ), and the Chief Officer was always keen to get the crew painting, to keep the upperworks tidy ( in port, or at anchor - ignore the sharks! ).
As to Kendo - yes!................
jendo and judo ijn cruiser.jpg
..............and judo as well. Maybe on the training cruiser Katori?
Dave

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
Loving this detail mate, it's what makes your builds that extra bit special.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Re the kendo photograph - it's not clear, but I bet all the officers are sitting on chairs in the shade! just the sort of thing that would be part of a training routine................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Okay Steve, you got me at "giraffe".:thinking:

Cheers,
Richard
Rhyming slang Richard…….”having a giraffe“ is equivalent to “having’ a laugh”…. Used to be known as “having’ a bath” but I don’t know when it changed…..

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Rhyming slang Richard…….”having a giraffe“ is equivalent to “having’ a laugh”…. Used to be known as “having’ a bath” but I don’t know when it changed…..
Nor me mate, I think they were interchangeable dependent on which side of the river you were from! :tears-of-joy:
Steve

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Friends have suggested to print the images above and mount them next to the display. What do you think?
I have often thought that "in progress" photos displayed alongside the completed model is a good idea. So often a lot of work goes into detailing a model in areas which are difficult to see. We are lucky on the forum to see the whole build in progress and hence appreciate the detailing.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard
Well what do you expect " cleaning up the bench" all sorts of illnesses can befall you .
I try to stay clear of such occurrences but Christine has different ideas,now she's complaining about the state of the greenhouse ! I mean is a man safe anywhere ?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard,
It was common practice for RN warships to have a painting punt ( usually stored inside one of the larger boats ) so the painting could really reach the waterline! - The last merchant ships I served on had a painting pontoon ( think 3 pairs of 45 gallon oil drums, in a steel framework ), and the Chief Officer was always keen to get the crew painting, to keep the upperworks tidy ( in port, or at anchor - ignore the sharks! ).
As to Kendo - yes!................
View attachment 461912
..............and judo as well. Maybe on the training cruiser Katori?
Dave
Richard,
Loving this detail mate, it's what makes your builds that extra bit special.
Re the kendo photograph - it's not clear, but I bet all the officers are sitting on chairs in the shade! just the sort of thing that would be part of a training routine................
Dave
Nor me mate, I think they were interchangeable dependent on which side of the river you were from! :tears-of-joy:
Steve
I have often thought that "in progress" photos displayed alongside the completed model is a good idea. So often a lot of work goes into detailing a model in areas which are difficult to see. We are lucky on the forum to see the whole build in progress and hence appreciate the detailing.
Actually I like the idea of the hidden treasure waiting to be discovered...
Richard
Well what do you expect " cleaning up the bench" all sorts of illnesses can befall you .
I try to stay clear of such occurrences but Christine has different ideas,now she's complaining about the state of the greenhouse ! I mean is a man safe anywhere ?
Again Fellas Dave, Scottie, Tim, Steve, Jim, Neil and John R, the excuse for not replying sooner is the chores caught up with me or I had to finish what I had started. :smiling6:
If I had seen that picture earlier Dave, I would have done it in place of the blessing with the activity exposed and crew crowding ontop of the turret for a better view. Thanks for that.
I'll have both the progress images and the canopy removable as it is heavy enough to stay put.
I get the rhym with giraffe now but its tough getting used to.
Problem is I can't get sick twice or everytime I hear work. :tears-of-joy:

Hope to get back to regular building soon.

Cheers,
Richard