1/72 HMS Iron Duke - Type 23 Frigate

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Having been inspired by some very talented builders on this forum, and being the sucker for punishment that I am, I ordered a set of plans for HMS Iron Duke from Quaycraft for the Type 23 Frigate in 1/72 scale in April 2022.
Boatman has been very helpful in getting me going, and has been on at me since the beginning to post on the forum, however I refused. Firstly, as you may all remember, I only got back into model making this year, and I didn't feel confident enough to "bare my all" for the world to see. Secondly, I thought that I would rather spend my time building, than posting on the forum, and thirdly the fear of if I messed it up completely, and had to call it quits, that would be rather embarrassing.
Now to the present, and all these months later, I have come to the conclusion that being a rookie I am bound to make mistakes, (which I have), and as I have learned so much from the other talented builders on the forum (who also make mistakes), that there might be some benefits to me starting a build log so that others can see that even a totally inexperienced modeller can build something that I initially thought would be completely outside my capabilities.
So here we go, which will be a surprise to Chris :smiling:
I received the set of 5 plans on 14th May 2022, and while I have been building, I have photographed my steps along the way, so I will be posting my progress to this build log over the next while, until I have caught up to where I am at that stage, and then take it from there.
I hope you enjoy my journey as much as I have.
Garry

Last edited:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I decided that as far as possible I would scratch build, obviously there will be certain items that are beyond my capabilities, and will have to be bought.
Here is the frame drawing, and the cut out frames, 34 in total.
Garry
21 May

s.FA4D76AD-A5D6-481E-AA60-5A235377A897_1_201_a.jpegBBF13551-C32C-4B7E-8631-99491F6E9BC4.jpeg0D31ED8B-6BC0-4E12-8B4A-FBD163B2A22F.jpeg

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant!
Great start Garry and the very best of luck with your build. :thumb2:

Ron

Last edited:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Thank you for your kind encouragement guys.
As promised, I will build up this log with my progress from May, over the next little while, till I catch up, and then it will be as it happens.
Garry

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Moving on to the beginning of June, I started assembling the frames in the keel, trying valiantly to keep everything in line.
Then I flipped the whole thing over, to make sure everything lined up, which obviously it didn't, but I did manage to get right in the end.
Till the next episode.
Garry

4116730C-6F50-4C96-8255-75BF018A2476.jpeg6C91C1DB-D90E-4BBE-BD36-196F0D50E006.jpegF645EDC8-1293-42B8-B344-0D788FEE8C39.jpeg03891512-F358-4CE9-9231-1FC0204D2CA3.jpeg

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wow, great looking skeleton there, and so big……. Just out of interest, how heavy will she be when finished?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL HI Garry lovley to see you post your build of I/D on here an you will enjoy showin your build as i said at the time it deserved to be seen as its all your hard work an dont worry about makin mistakes an dont be embarresed as what you are doin here an bein a rookie builder as i said it takes some people yrs to master what you have done on your first attenpt an may i say its brilliant very nice build an its been done in record time so far an you have beaten me by ay a long shot as to build up my tiger this far as you have built took me well over a yr so VERY WELL DONE an some brilliant pics nice an clear an i will be following your build Garry AN any help you want just sing out an i or someone eles will be able to help you KEEP UP THIS BRILLIANT BUILD very well done boyo
ATB ps hope you feel better soon
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Garry did you get a NEW 2.4 gig R/C SET ? with failsafe built in an it would be nice to see a pic of it an how many channels ?
chrisb

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
WELL HI Garry lovley to see you post your build of I/D on here an you will enjoy showin your build as i said at the time it deserved to be seen as its all your hard work an dont worry about makin mistakes an dont be embarresed as what you are doin here an bein a rookie builder as i said it takes some people yrs to master what you have done on your first attenpt an may i say its brilliant very nice build an its been done in record time so far an you have beaten me by ay a long shot as to build up my tiger this far as you have built took me well over a yr so VERY WELL DONE an some brilliant pics nice an clear an i will be following your build Garry AN any help you want just sing out an i or someone eles will be able to help you KEEP UP THIS BRILLIANT BUILD very well done boyo
ATB ps hope you feel better soon
chrisb
Hi Chris, thank you for all your help and encouragement, it is really appreciated and has been of great assistance to me.
Being retired I have a lot off time on my hands, and Iron Duke keeps me out of trouble.
ATB
Garry

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Garry, I'll follow your build with great interest. It's a BIG project and your brave approach to the challenge is noteworthy.:thumb2:
By the way, nice bench! :cool:

Andrea
Thank you Andrea, brave or foolhardy is the question, in my head nothing is impossible, until it's not possible ;)
The workbench was built out of scraps when I was rebuilding my house, and has served me well, and it's on wheels which is very useful.
Cheers
Garry