1/72 HMS Iron Duke - Type 23 Frigate

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Have seen her in the flesh when she moored in Red Bay to do some running repairs after getting caught in a storm in the Atlantic.
They sent a shore party to get the papers and I had a nice chat with the cox of one of the RIBs who had been left to keep guard of them. He wasn't too happy when I pointed out the lack of Iranians probably meant they were safe......
I am sure he wouldn't have been amused :smiling:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Props are beautiful, looks to be fast.
YES they do PaulE an i think Garry has bigger props than what i have on my HMS NORFOLK F230 an that goes very fast faster than walking speed which in a ship like this is about 70 knots way to fast for scale speed an when she is doin that speed ive got to slow her down as the stern of the ship sinks nr below the water level an the real ship had this problem so the navy had a sort of flat blade fitted across the stern to help the stern from sinkin in to the water an to stop the massive prop wash riseing higher than the flightdeck as i get this problem on my norfolk but it would be difficult to fit one on my norfolk as i would have to turn the hull upside down an damage to railng an such would occour so i havnt done it will you Garry as it shows the back plate on your plans ? an it may stop your I/D from sinking to low at flank speed an yes on your plans its called a stern flap
chrisb

Last edited:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Nice work so far Garry.
I'll look in from time to time and follow along.
Thanks Ian, pull up a chair
You are making a great job of this Garry. Very impressive!
Much obliged Tim.
YES they do PaulE an i think Garry has bigger props than what i have on my HMS NORFOLK F230 an that goes very fast faster than walking speed which in a ship like this is about 70 knots way to fast for scale speed an when she is doin that speed ive got to slow her down as the stern of the ship sinks nr below the water level an the real ship had this problem so the navy had a sort of flat blade fitted across the stern to help the stern from sinkin in to the water an to stop the massive prop wash riseing higher than the flightdeck as i get this problem on my norfolk but it would be difficult to fit one on my norfolk as i would have to turn the hull upside down an damage to railng an such would occour so i havnt done it will you Garry as it shows the back plate on your plans ? an it may stop your I/D from sinking to low at flank speed an yes on your plans its called a stern flap
chrisb
Yes Chris, my props are 41mm, and the stern flap does show on my plans.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Ian, pull up a chair

Much obliged Tim.

Yes Chris, my props are 41mm, and the stern flap does show on my plans.
YES it does Garry but as my norfolk was the lead ship of the duke class this problem was not known about till the navy had built about 4 of these ships so on my plans i did not have this stern flap shown so i did not know about this to fit it .

but ive now got her under a bit more controll to go slower as on my T/X ive fitted a ratchet on the throttle so i can get her to sail slower an not flank speed an more in keepin with the scale speed as had a bit of trouble when sailing her at our last warship day at norwich pond.

as unbeknow to me the failsafe in the T/X or in the R/X was not workin an she got out of controll an went flat out towards the ponds congrete walls which had she hit would stove in her bows but thankfully she was stopped by a member of the public if i remember rightly an my mate richard came over last wk to try an sort it out why F/S was not working an some how the failsafe has moved from cha 3 to cha 4 so now when i fit the 2.4 gig R/C back in her i have to fit the plug that goes normally to cha 3 now to cha 4 an thats eletronics for you it can go crazy at some point an we dont know why this has happened
chrisb

Last edited:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
It will be interesting with the new TX that I have ordered, as to how much I will be able to programme it.
I do want to be able to restrict the throttle to a scaled down and realistic speed, I am not one bit interested in going flat out.
Hopefully you will get your TX/RX sorted out, you don't want to be crashing into another vessel or the concrete wall either.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Garry i think this is your I/D in drydock hope this pic helps you when you come to do the detailin but lookin at the pic i cant see that stern flap on the ship maybe thats what she was havin fitted while in drydock ?
chrisb
SHIP_FFG_HMS_Iron_Duke_in_Dock_lg.jpg

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
It will be interesting with the new TX that I have ordered, as to how much I will be able to programme it.
I do want to be able to restrict the throttle to a scaled down and realistic speed, I am not one bit interested in going flat out.
Hopefully you will get your TX/RX sorted out, you don't want to be crashing into another vessel or the concrete wall either.
WELL Garry if you have on your T/X throttle stick a built in ratchet then its easy to keep her at scale speed if you do not have one then call into your local model shop or you ebay an order two ractchets as they can be fitted by you as i have fitted one on my T/X an as you say dont want to hit someones elses model do you or the wall or side of the pond an hopefully we have sorted out my R/C as now with the failsafe if it loses signal then the motors just shut down
an no worryies
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Garry
I've just come accross this amazing build and had a catch up. You're doing a fine job. Amazing what you can do if you have determination, patience and a willingness to learn. I'm sure you are having to solve many issues as you come across them. I am certain that if you carry on as you have begun you'll end up with a superb model to be proud of. I look forward to following the rest of this build.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I believe we used to call these cavitation plates back when going fast in the water. Used to keep the water down to the props and assist in planing.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I believe we used to call these cavitation plates back when going fast in the water. Used to keep the water down to the props and assist in planing.
You may be right PaulE as thats the whole idea of it to keep cavitaition down from the props as when i open up my norfolk to flank speed the water cavitaion is higher than the flight deck as thats why i have fitted a ratchet devise on my throttle so when i give the ahead only the stick on the R/C T/X will only move slowy an give scale speed mind you it nice to have more throttle as if there is a strong wind blowin when goin at scale speed i lose steerage from the rudders so more power is needed an it was like this on the real ship as ive seen one of these frigates comin into the solent an the water was pretty high from the props caviation
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
It also helped rudder control at speed as I remember.
YEA PaulE thats what i said if i go to slow with norfolk i lose rudder controll so have to give her a bit more throttle an thats partly why i have fitted a bow thruster in my tiger as with this mounted in the hull i can stop her an still have controll over the ship that why i also fitted one in my nimitz as with this idea there is controll over both ends of the ship an it worked lovely on my nimitz as it would push the front of the ship port an starb without the need for rudders speed very handy i wish i had fitted one in my norfolk but dint think it needed it
chrisb

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Hi Garry
I've just come accross this amazing build and had a catch up. You're doing a fine job. Amazing what you can do if you have determination, patience and a willingness to learn. I'm sure you are having to solve many issues as you come across them. I am certain that if you carry on as you have begun you'll end up with a superb model to be proud of. I look forward to following the rest of this build.
Many thanks Jim, I am really enjoying building ID, and you are quite right there have been many issues to solve along the way, which keeps the old grey matter active.
Great progress with your build Garry
Thank you Mick

Chris & Paul thanks for the input on the transom flap.

Garry

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WOW Garry you on the S/S already an its really looks good you have all the
angles right as this is a semi steath ship are you goin to get that big radar workin on the bridge ? but the build is as good as my tiger build very well done
chrisb