1949 Mercury custom coupe 1/25 Revell

T

treyzx10r

Having done the 'Woody' last year figured it was time to do the Merc ,first up cleaning the frame up and replacing the coil springs

I used some copper wire coiled around some sprue for the front coils

I used ca to glue them in the retainer cups and trimmed them to the right height

This nasty bit of frame support is the same molding as the Woody I did last year and its a bear to get in place and keep the holes lined up while the glue sets. I learned from doing the Woody to start glueing from the rear and let each section set before going to the next. I rushed this on the Woody and wound up spending a lot of time filling and cleaning up the misalignment,totally my fault.

This time around the patience has paid off and no filler will be needed just a little fine filing and sanding. Started working on the mill and going to keep it basic out of box except the exhaust manifolds,and some detailing such as plug wires and a few fluid lines.

Before I can finish the Mill the chrome needed to be stripped off . I use straight bleach and it really works fast,the stuff literally dissapears before your eyes.

now just pour the bleach back into the bottle and sneak it back in the laundry room and the Missus never missed it!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
MMMM! a chopped ,slammed merc , beautiful! What colour is it going to be trey ? Ill be following this closely , for me the urge to do a car is getting stronger and stronger ! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm me like.

I'll have mine in flat titanium grey with with a nice subtle pinstripe flame in the same colour, just in gloss. Maybe over a cracked gold leaf, for a bit of depth.....

Failing that, black.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great tip using bleach to remove the chrome Trey, cheers.

P

Polux

I like this build Trey!! And great tip and idea to use the bleach!!

Thanks. Polux

S

Sky Raider

A new one to look forward to eh Trey. ill be watching this one come alive.

Cheers

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Ole thanx!

Tony .I'm thinking either a hot lime green metallic pearl,or satin black with 'real' looking flames

Ian yes that sounds really tight too ,taking it in to consideration for sure thanx

Joe,Polux and Andy thanx !

I've gotten the brake lines run and the rear axle assembly in place

then some semi gloss black

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lime green metallic pearl , with alu moon discs and whitewalls please . Oh and a side order of fuzzy dice , cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

I've sprayed the chasis bottom and sanded the body with 400 grit to get rid of some fine mold seams

Shot the primer on and started scratching the exhaust

Tony I like that idea too,thanks. I'm thinking a theme paint scheme from the Scorpions 'Blackout' song,its been stuck in my head ever since I started this . Maybe done in satin black with pearl lime green mettalic accents or even 2-tone.

T

treyzx10r

I've gotten the interior basically done ,the dash detailing and some fiddly bits aside

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Very clean and tidy Trey, don't you just love those old interior colours!

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Joe ,keeping it basic inside for sure.I've got the mill basically finished minus some plumbing and wiring details. The exhaust pipes did'nt go quite as planned but its passable.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, that engine is looking sharp, nicely finished.

S

Sky Raider

You dont hang about Trey do you. Excellent work mate,

Andy

A

AJay

Great work so far Trey, and love the coil suspension! She's going to be a low rider, right?

T

treyzx10r

Joe ,Andy thanks ! Andy you've been burning it up lately as well with that excellent ship project! Alex thank you ,yes its slammed!

I sorted out the exhaust fit problem with a little trimming on the side wheel wells. I then got started shooting the semigloss,will finish that tomorrow the shop lights were attracting way too many bugs!

Frustrated by the aerial insect assault I moved inside and tackled the dash

I put some canopy glue over the instruments to simulate the glass covers ,so while that dries on to the chasis. Here it is before I hit it with some Game color transparent black acrylic wash

and after

C

CDW

Some excellent detail work so far Trey.

Are you finishing it in full gloss or having it as a satin type finish?