29-31 Hampton Street. London's East End....Sept. 1940.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I know it's each to their own, but I do wonder why some scratch builders need 3 different paint colours, 4 lots of different pastel powders, and 5 different washes to achieve the same effect as you have with two paints and a 'splash it all over' approach!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging posts chaps. Much appreciated.

Jim. Wot windows?!

Dave, as you point out, some painting methods do seem long winded, be it a wall, tank, ship whatever. I prefer to keep my approach simple and quick. I suspect it might be a sort of 'Must do' to use all these different filters and gawd knows what else, otherwise the paint job is seen as not worth a flick of the wrist!
....but as you also point out, "it's each to their own" That is as it should be. We all have different ways of achieving what we want from our model making endeavors.

I've resized the doors and windows. Transferred the paper template onto the board, cut out the openings and roughly marked out the brickwork with a pencil and steel rule.

I'm not fussy about getting the brick size or bond spot on. My bricks were hand made and I've yet to see a perfect 'Stretcher' brick bond.

P1310807.JPG

A closer look shows the pencil line imperfections, warts and all....and guess what?
P1310808.JPG

All a bit rough and naked nude at the minute.

Next up the delightful job of scribing the brick joints with a scalpel, prior to the application of the paint.

Once painted and weathered it will all blend in - I hope.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Watching with interest.
I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about London, but do have a little experience of Victorian terraced houses.
Not sure if you've got the back doors in the right place, all of the ones that I've come across are set in the side of the 'scullery' facing next-door, the kitchen is 'outside' from that, then coal shed, then the toilet. But hey, your build and I could well be wrong

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Watching with interest.
I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about London, but do have a little experience of Victorian terraced houses.
Not sure if you've got the back doors in the right place, all of the ones that I've come across are set in the side of the 'scullery' facing next-door, the kitchen is 'outside' from that, then coal shed, then the toilet. But hey, your build and I could well be wrong
You make a good point Gerry on the back doors. Both my current and previous Victorian terraced houses have the backdoor facing the neighbour across the wall.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
You make a good point Gerry on the back doors. Both my current and previous Victorian terraced houses have the backdoor facing the neighbour across the wall.

ATB.

Andrew
That said I do have patio doors on the rear aspect.... Not sure if they were originally a window that has been extended to a door...

Just a thought Ron....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input chaps. All duly noted. :thumb2:

As I wrote in my opening waffle, plenty of alterations and additions expected.....

Here's the progress on the out houses.

As most of the thing will probably be smashed to hell and back, I don't know why I'm being fussy.

Having ritted the above, I do like to build the complete structure before I destroy it!

P1310810.JPG

P1310811.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andrew, and thanks also to both yourself and Gerry for the feedback re. the doors. :thumb2:

I've 'bricked in' the two outer openings as these will be sort of seen, but left the inner two. Both these will deffo. be hidden!
Further coats will blend in any wayward bricks and the laying of....please keep in mind too that accuracy and neatness are not on the agenda, as most of the model will be trashed and or hidden with 'Things' ;)

I've first coated the walls using cheap acrylics. I don't want to use my good modelling paints.
P1310814.JPG

P1310815.JPG

I realise it all looks a bit 'orrid at the minute, but trust me - I'm a politician!

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 .
I agree with the use of cheapish paints for things like a building, and Dio bases .
I use so much that I'd be buying model paints by the bucket .
With you on the building first, that to me is the only way you can judge how much debris to have. Guesstimating is no good .
Looking FWD of course to the roofing, this is always a bonus for us old wood butchers.
Apart from that you can always add burns t o some of the joists to add to the detail and realism.:nerd:
453 .

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Agree with you on the cheap paints - The Works normally does big pots of poster paints for a small amount of dosh each (bought the 'basics' (red, blue, yellow, white and black) for my last dio, they can be watered down/mixed with PVA for end use

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Ron. Top notch work at far and sorry for causing you the extra effort.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks again for the input chaps....

It was just the 'bricking up' where the doors were, so only a minor c*** up! I had decided only two doorways needed the treatment, but I ended up doing all four. just being lazy, really.

A bit of outside wall which goes between each property. A top row of headers and the main wall stretchers. Marked out in pencil , scribed with a modelling knife and first coated with cheapo acrylics.
P1310816.JPG

Walls in place. I've also added the bogs, external and main internal terrace dividing walls.
I had that many loose bits, I decided I had to mount the whole shabang on a bit of 4mm plywood.
P1310818.JPG

P1310819.JPG

P1310820.JPG

P1310824.JPG

Plenty left to do, and early days but it is finally taking shape.
You might be relieved to know, the dormant organ perched on my neck is finally coming to life with far too many ideas and add-ons.

Pity it will be seriously wrecked, but there you go - Needs must.....

Cheers.
'Blaster' Bates.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Coming on a treat. Reminds me of the back to backs in Castleford back in the 70s and 80s. Mostly knocked down or modernised but the time we left Yorkshire in 2005.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.
Initially, I had intended to make the 'Outbuildings' all one roof, but decided instead to break the flow a bit by stepping down the toilet area.

A bit more painting etc., then I can make a start on the exposed timber work.

Ron