29-31 Hampton Street. London's East End....Sept. 1940.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
You were right about 'stepping down' for the toilets/coal sheds, they were (are?) a smaller build on the end, but access was from outside (pantry was between the kitchen and the coal shed, with the toilet furthest from the back door for some reason)
Some examples can be found in this area

Dropped pin

These are some of the terraced houses in Ipswich, if you scan around the area there are numerous streets made up of these (son lives in the area, and my grandmother also lived in the area for all of her married life)

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron.

Beautiful work. Very much like my home would have been before modern upgrades knocked it about.

In our case to access the toilet/outhouse you had to leave the house by the backdoor and walk down a few feet to another doorway into the outside.

Again, top notch work.

Very well done.

Andrew

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Ron.

Beautiful work. Very much like my home would have been before modern upgrades knocked it about.

In our case to access the toilet/outhouse you had to leave the house by the backdoor and walk down a few feet to another doorway into the outside.

Again, top notch work.

Very well done.

Andrew
No window? Seemed to rely on the gaps above and below the door for illumination :thinking:a bit like my grandmothers - they left the outside loo when having the inside bathroom put in - not sure if the subsequent owners kept it though, was certainly useful when we children were playing outside, or anyone doing the garden!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
No window? Seemed to rely on the gaps above and below the door for illumination :thinking:a bit like my grandmothers - they left the outside loo when having the inside bathroom put in - not sure if the subsequent owners kept it though, was certainly useful when we children were playing outside, or anyone doing the garden!
Same here. I grew up in a terraced house in Cardiff, the toilet was outside until my Dad converted the 'box room' into a bathroom in the mid-fifties. No window in the outside bog, just a six-inche gap below the door, so bloody cold in the winter.
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As the thread title suggests, No's. 29 and 31 will bear the brunt of whatever's coming their way, so I have concentrated any detail around that area.

I've also given the brickwork and rooms a lick of paint.
I have also added the false backs to the row and added 1st. floors to the middle two houses.

P1310825.JPG

P1310828.JPG

P1310826.JPG

Please understand that what I build is simply the result of a sometimes over fertile imagination and is not intended to be a copy of 'The real thing'. I simply can't work like that....Thanks.

Loads more to add both inside and out.

Cheers,
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
I'll bet that way back in the 60s, when you were nowt but a nipper, you watched Coronation Street and now it's all come flooding back. We'll see Ena Sharples coming out of the outside loo.
Coming together really nicely.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
As the thread title suggests, No's. 29 and 31 will bear the brunt of whatever's coming their way, so I have concentrated any detail around that area.

I have also added the false backs to the row and added 1st. floors to the middle two houses.

View attachment 440613

View attachment 440614

View attachment 440615

Please understand that what I build is simply the result of a sometimes over fertile imagination and is not intended to be a copy of 'The real thing'. I simply can't work like that....Thanks.

Cheers,
Ron
It's ok Ron, think that some of us are getting too involved in our memories :thinking: guessing that we're talking about doors, walls etc. so that you have about the right amount of rubble.
If you're going to put Ena in, don't forget her friend Minnie Caldwell ;):tongue-out:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

View attachment 440613

View attachment 440614

View attachment 440615

Cheers,
Ron
No no complaints from me Ron on the concept and brilliant execution already.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Meanwhile back at the build.......

I know I wrote that I wouldn't make any, simply because I didn't see the point, but I've changed my mind and started making a few simple sash windows out of plastic card and clear stuff from the top of a food container.

P1310835.JPG

P1310838.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming along nicely Ron.
Me and the misses have been watching "call the midwife" on the gogglebox. Takes place in post war In the Eastend of London by the docks.
Quite a good source of Inspiration.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the posts boys.
There will be fire...
Ian. Thank you for the info., but me and the misses don't watch t.v.

Mind you, it still doesn't stop the Licence folks sending us a reminder each year round about now......They just can't get it through their thick skulls that we are not insane, and we can just about survive by talking, reading and generally tootling along.......