29-31 Hampton Street. London's East End....Sept. 1940.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the posts boys.
There will be fire...
Ian. Thank you for the info., but me and the misses don't watch t.v.

Mind you, it still doesn't stop the Licence folks sending us a reminder each year round about now......They just can't get it through their thick skulls that we are not insane, and we can just about survive by talking, reading and generally tootling along.......
No offense to Ian, of course lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
.Oops!

Quite right too, Ron.
My writings did appear somewhat mistakenly insulting to the lad. Sorry Ian......

My target was the licencing people who seem to think it impossible for some people on this planet to exist without a t.v. and therefore must be bonkers.....Or cheats.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Long time since I've been offended and it will take more than that comment, I kind of knew you do not partake in the newfangled cathode ray apparatus.
Long time since I was called a lad as well.
Compared to you though I'm a meat whippersnapper. Lol

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ian , Don's radio ariel is a long piece of wet string, and no doubt the radio has valves and has cabinet made from Bakelite.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for the posts boys.
There will be fire...
Ian. Thank you for the info., but me and the misses don't watch t.v.

Mind you, it still doesn't stop the Licence folks sending us a reminder each year round about now......They just can't get it through their thick skulls that we are not insane, and we can just about survive by talking, reading and generally tootling along.......
You need a licence to watch the Television in the UK?......that's down right laffable :tongue-out3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
.Oops!

Quite right too, Ron.
My writings did appear somewhat mistakenly insulting to the lad. Sorry Ian......

My target was the licencing people who seem to think it impossible for some people on this planet to exist without a t.v. and therefore must be bonkers.....Or cheats.
Yes, several years ago, my family had the same argument with them - to the point of getting a visit, when it was shown to them that we were completely 'off grid' (no mains power, water etc. - well before it became fashionable) they finally backed off.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You need a licence to watch the Television in the UK?......that's down right laffable :tongue-out3:
We do..... It's how the BBC is funded.
yea Rick it would be lauffable if it wasnt so serious an they come round with tv detector vans to catch you if you have not paid quite a lot of money tooooooooooooooo an for nr all repeats so you dont have to pay in the states then ?
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Never seen it as an issue myself, it’s no different to paying for cable services like Sky etc…..apart from being much cheaper at less than three pounds per week. The “free” advertising funded stations such as UK ITV are virtually unwatchable, less than forty minutes programming an hour and interrupted every ten minutes…..unless you really like an unrelenting diet of poor soaps and programs like “I’m a celebrity, shove a cockroach up me bum”….

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Never seen it as an issue myself, it’s no different to paying for cable services like Sky etc…..apart from being much cheaper at less than three pounds per week. The “free” advertising funded stations such as UK ITV are virtually unwatchable, less than forty minutes programming an hour and interrupted every ten minutes…..unless you really like an unrelenting diet of poor soaps and programs like “I’m a celebrity, shove a cockroach up me bum”….
YES you are right Tim as no adverts on the beeb forgot about that as i hadly ever watch normal tv now as we watch dvd'd an im working on tiger so many hrs a day an im on here quite a bit but yes you are right an ive never ever watched that
I’m a celebrity, shove a cockroach up me bum”….
[/QUOTE]

HAHA Tim that cheerded me up for a good laugh
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's not an issue, but I ain't paying for anything I don't use.......

About 6 years ago, we did have a 'Visit'. I pointed out the lack of aerial. Although he had no legal right of entry and just for a laugh, I allowed yer man into my home to view the plantpot on a shelf where we could have a t.v.
I took him up into the loft and really gave him a great tour. I even made him a cup of tea before sending him on his merry way.

....and every year we still get a letter asking why we don't have a licence.

Right, back to hell and reality... ;)

I'm quietly getting on fitting windows where required

I've added slate roofs. Although complete, I've left off all the main roof and some of the smaller ones, as I have yet to add the roof / ceiling timber detail.
The slates are made from paper, stuck on thin card. This way, I can get a bit of 'Wobble' in the bond, rather than the squeeky clean and too perfect looking slate bought stuff.

P1310860.JPG

P1310863.JPG

P1310861.JPG

Next, I'll contact Mr. Race and ask if he is available to 'Gis a lift.' getting the roof on!

Cheers.
Ivor Amer Anannayal

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats coming along very nicely Ron.

Just a single TV licence comment from me. In Denmark you dont have a TV licence as such. You have a Media licence...Alot thought they could skip the licence by not having a TV, and watch things on a computer..... The state was aghast and changed it to Media licence, so ANYTHING that can receive and play radio/TV, that is to say, Computers, smart phone, tablet what ever you need to have a 'licence'. And Yes they check in the shop when you buy any of these devices.
Right back on topic and let Ron have his thread back!
(Sorry Ron).

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ron

Very nice progress on the Eastenders. My Dad's family lived in the heart of Shoreditch in the 20's and early 30's, so yours looks like a very familiar scene.

As far as TV etc is concerned here in Canada we pay for cable, but it includes our land-line telephone and our unlimited internet, so we don't complain too much, even if we do get about 100 TV stations with nothing much to watch.

John

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It's not an issue, but I ain't paying for anything I don't use.......

About 6 years ago, we did have a 'Visit'. I pointed out the lack of aerial. Although he had no legal right of entry and just for a laugh, I allowed yer man into my home to view the plantpot on a shelf where we could have a t.v.
I took him up into the loft and really gave him a great tour. I even made him a cup of tea before sending him on his merry way.

....and every year we still get a letter asking why we don't have a licence.
Should've sent a bill for the tea Ron. My first house didn't have a gas service - there was a capped supply pipe in the meter cupboard inside the house, but nothing else. Evcery 3 months we got an estimated bill, which I sent back in their reply-paid envelope. At the end of the year a meter reader came and demanded to read the meter, so I told him we didn't have one and sent him away. A few months later we had another visit form a pushy so-and-so who insisted that the meter belonged to South Wales Gas, and he had every right to come and inspect their property at any time that suited him. I told him to go away (actually I think I might have been a bit ruder than that). He shouted that he was going to get the police, so I replied "Good" and shut the door. An hour later he returned, along with the local PC, who confirmed that the Gas Board (as it was then) had a right to inspect their property, so I let the copper in but shut the door on the gas bloke. Showed the copper the empty space in the meter cupboard, he apologised and left the house. As they walked up the drive I heard him threaten to arrest the gas bloke for wasting police time...
Pete

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
yea Rick it would be lauffable if it wasnt so serious an they come round with tv detector vans to catch you if you have not paid quite a lot of money tooooooooooooooo an for nr all repeats so you dont have to pay in the states then ?
chris

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
chris
No Chris, the only cost involved would be if you "choose" to purchase cable, satellite or live streaming service.