29-31 Hampton Street. London's East End....Sept. 1940.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your encouraging post Paul. Much appreciated. :thumb2:

Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Your supposed to be resting the eye Chris . Have you managed to get any more pain killers yet ?
HI John i am resting it as ive got it closed while i read with my right eye an no no pain killers yet an wed goin to ask at docs if they can let me have a strip till my prescriptinons come through on friday if not then i'll have to go to chemist but cant at the moment as i dont want to drive even though my sight is now ok but hos said it would be a few days till i can drive so im bein safe till about friday or so to be on the safe side

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Starting to add the roof spars.
The spars are balsa, cut down from 1/16" sheet stock. I cut down a coffee stirrer for the ridge board. Far stronger than balsa.
P1310910.JPG

P1310912.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just needs the lead flashing around the edges now - NOT! :surprised: :smiling6:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tim.

Gerry. I can't do the flashing until all the necessary elements are in place. Which, as I'm sure you have observed, they have yet to be fixed in place.

Thanks for the input chaps... :thumb2:

Roofing nearly completed.
P1310913.JPG

Terraced houses didn't usually have fascia boards, but simply showed the ends of the roof spars. Had I adopted this option, I would have the extra work of sparring out the whole roof, the same as the outhouses, only to have them hidden! No thanks.
So, to be simpler and quicker, I fitted a length of fascia board to the bare spar ends. Over thick, I know, but it will either be destroyed or hidden by the undamaged sections of roof, so the 'Error' won't be seen.
P1310914.JPG

P1310916.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Simply outstanding!!!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry

Gerry. I can't do the flashing until all the necessary elements are in place. Which, as I'm sure you have observed, they have yet to be fixed in place.

Cheers.
Ron
Ron, I was joking - the level of detail that you're putting in here - what's the wall paper pattern going to be? :surprised: :tongue-out2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
No wallpaper Dave. There will be hardly be any walls to hang the stuff on! ;) ;)

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nearly there Rick.
A bit more faffing about then out with the 'Digitus Wrecktus!

I've added the lead flashings, a bit of slating and just a couple of rows of slate battens to the outbuildings of 29/31. These are now more or less complete and ready to be trashed....

Paper slates and battens. The battens are very, very thin! I painted the paper as a sheet first. Once dried, the paper became stiff and strong enough to cut the strips without fear of tearing the stuff. I use a Stanley Knife (Other makes are available :upside:) for this type of work, as both paper and card eat scalpel blades for fun.

Kitchen foil lead flashing cut into 1/8" strips, painted and then 'Stroked' with a wire brush before bending and gluing in place.

P1310963.JPG

P1310965.JPG

Terrace roof to finish next.

Thanks for looking in.

Yours,
Syrenn Souwndin

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nearly there Rick.
A bit more faffing about then out with the 'Digitus Wrecktus!

I've added the lead flashings, a bit of slating and just a couple of rows of slate battens to the outbuildings of 29/31. These are now more or less complete and ready to be trashed....

Paper slates and battens. The battens are very, very thin! I painted the paper as a sheet first. Once dried, the paper became stiff and strong enough to cut the strips without fear of tearing the stuff. I use a Stanley Knife (Other makes are available :upside:) for this type of work, as both paper and card eat scalpel blades for fun.

Kitchen foil lead flashing cut into 1/8" strips, painted and then 'Stroked' with a wire brush before bending and gluing in place.

View attachment 442165

View attachment 442166

Terrace roof to finish next.

Thanks for looking in.

Yours,
Syrenn Souwndin
Ron

Simply outstanding!!! Almost seems a shame to destroy it all....

ATB.

Andrew