29-31 Hampton Street. London's East End....Sept. 1940.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 most impressive work , just give me a shout when you need some help with the destruction firewise:nerd::smiling3:
Your 453
Chair of the Pyromaniac Society.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
570 most impressive work , just give me a shout when you need some help with the destruction firewise:nerd::smiling3:
Your 453
Chair of the Pyromaniac Society.

I'd be a bit careful about how much help you ask for Ron. I did warn you folks last week, but have you seen 453s new job title?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys....

I've gone a bit upmarket with the ground floor windows. Top opening sashes and nice big window glass.
Again, plastic card with food container top for the 'glass'. I found the best glue to use for this is kit polystyrene glue.

P1310865.JPG

No.'s 27 and 29's back yard so far.....
Also, stone cills fitted and painted. These are foam board offcuts.
P1310871.JPG

I've made some paving slabs out of card board for the back yard area.
P1310875.JPG

No's 31 and 33.
P1310872.JPG

P1310873.JPG

Purlins added to the outhouses of 29/31.
P1310868.JPG

All the 'Action' will be at 29/31 so I need to have all the roof, floors and ceilings detail in this area.
So to start, coffee stirrer main roof double purlins and outhouse ones loose fitted.

Note the extension to each end of the main brickwork. It looked naff as it was with the small roofs shooting up into nowt!
P1310874.JPG

I'll add a bit more paint then add the ceilings and spar out the middle section of main roof and outhouses.

Still plenty more to do, but I hope you approve thus far

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Absolute classic! Are you saying Ron models with a pie plate full of burning lighter fluid on his head?
Nice one Tim, glad someone can remember that.:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the most excellent posts about the build chaps.

I've finished the doors and windows, added some more paint and given 31 and 33 their back yard slabs.

Jim, the Luftwaffe have just set off on yet another raid.... ;)

Dave, you can move in to no. 29. But please bring your tin hat!

The model looks better with those end bits on the terrace walls. Sort of brings things together somehow....
P1310876.JPG

P1310878.JPG

P1310879.JPG

P1310881.JPG

Just a bit more detail here and there to bring it all to life. then at last it's nearly ready for the roof timbers.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
That looks bloody marvellous. I do hope the families get to have a nice Christmas Day, well at least as nice as they can in the second year of war. I would hate to think of the children having their meagre few pressies destroyed by the wicked Hun.
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi
this is looking really good, especially great brickwork.

One thought, I am sure a builder amongst us can confirm if i am right or wrong, but I think the wooden rafters are going the wrong way. i think they should run from the top of the roof down to the gutter rather than across the roof. In this way the battons onto which the tiles or slates are fixed run horizontally, one batton per row of tiles, onto the rafters; obviously not important apart from where the roof is damaged.

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’m sure Ron knows his onions on this stuff Peter, and he’s called them purlins….rafters run vertically on the purlins, and battens horizontally on the rafters….purlins are sometimes propped to the floor of the loft. They are designed to spread the roof load, including a covering of snow. These look just like the roof on my old terrace, which had huge purlins at about 12 x 8 complete with props from the middle onto the load bearing walls underneath ;)