A break from RAF stuff with a cuppa 38(t)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Short and sweet Karl, turned out really nice....Have one for me while you're at it! ;) :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's flying along Karl!! Great work.

ATB.

Andrew

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Home safe and sound, time to have a look at this resin stowage.
Plenty there, though it's not all getting used. Legend would have you leave off the stowage bins on the fenders, but I've already glued them in place.
A few of the jerry can handles have broken, I might use the plastic ones from the kit if they fit, I mean all 1/35 jerry cans are the same size, right?
Some casting blocks to remove and some arranging to see what I like them it's time for the paint shop.
IMG_20230125_193148.jpg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Gonna show my ignorance here....
...( and let's be honest, there's plenty of that :smiling3: !! )....
But WHY does our resin stuff come on such huge blocks... usually it seems to me that it's a case of "The more delicate the piece... the thicker,(and more difficult to get off without damaging it), we'll make the casting blocks".
... Just my thoughts!!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Gonna show my ignorance here....
...( and let's be honest, there's plenty of that :smiling3: !! )....
But WHY does our resin stuff come on such huge blocks... usually it seems to me that it's a case of "The more delicate the piece... the thicker,(and more difficult to get off without damaging it), we'll make the casting blocks".
... Just my thoughts!!
I’m a Complete novice at making resin moulds and castings Mr Smiff……but have been having a dabble nonetheless:nerd:

Ive found the block size can help with filling the cavity when pouring the resin and also with demoulding the part.
If your interested there is a this chap on YouTube…..

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I’m a Complete novice at making resin moulds and castings Mr Smiff……but have been having a dabble nonetheless:nerd:

Ive found the block size can help with filling the cavity when pouring the resin and also with demoulding the part.
If your interested there is a this chap on YouTube
Ere,thanks mate :smiling3:
Most interesting,I look forward to having a good look at that tomorrow evening,(going bed shortly as I'm off down to Penzance for work early , :sad: )
Great to hear that you're doing this kinda stuff yourself mate....
... A proper dark horse you are eh?! ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
But WHY does our resin stuff come on such huge blocks...
Because it’s usually cast in moulds with an opening to pour the resin into. Off the top of my head, I expect that this opening needs to be large enough to easily pour the resin, to supply a reserve of resin as it sinks deeper into the mould (especially during tapping or centrifuging to get rid of air bubbles), and to serve as a large enough handle to remove the finished part from the mould. That last one necessitates a fairly large opening anyway, because resin parts usually come from one-piece moulds, so the whole part needs to go through it — you simply can’t cast the part with a small pour block attached because that would trap the part inside the mould.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Because it’s usually cast in moulds with an opening to pour the resin into. Off the top of my head, I expect that this opening needs to be large enough to easily pour the resin, to supply a reserve of resin as it sinks deeper into the mould (especially during tapping or centrifuging to get rid of air bubbles), and to serve as a large enough handle to remove the finished part from the mould. That last one necessitates a fairly large opening anyway, because resin parts usually come from one-piece moulds, so the whole part needs to go through it — you simply can’t cast the part with a small pour block attached because that would trap the part inside the mould.
I think it’s also required to give the poured resin mass and head pressure to force it into all parts of the mould Jakko.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good point. Though that would be mostly an issue if you’re not using a centrifuge, wouldn’t it? (That said, I have never cast anything in my life except plaster in moulds intended for children, of which I was one at the time :smiling3: )

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good point. Though that would be mostly an issue if you’re not using a centrifuge, wouldn’t it? (That said, I have never cast anything in my life except plaster in moulds intended for children, of which I was one at the time :smiling3: )
Not sure resin is cast in centrifuges. I know white metal is, but not sure about resin. I’ve not had a huge amount to do with resin, but don’t remember mould lines, so am not sure if they use traditional two part centrifuge moulds.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
AFAIK it’s mostly cast in one-piece moulds, which may or may not be a legacy of Verlinden doing that since the early 80s or so and everybody else following his example :smiling3: But I’d imagine they would want to get the air bubbles out, so maybe a different style of centrifuge that doesn’t take flat, round moulds?

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
AFAIK it’s mostly cast in one-piece moulds, which may or may not be a legacy of Verlinden doing that since the early 80s or so and everybody else following his example :smiling3: But I’d imagine they would want to get the air bubbles out, so maybe a different style of centrifuge that doesn’t take flat, round moulds?
Vacuum chamber to get the bubbles out of the silicone when making the mould.

Then pressure chamber for the casting process to shrink the bubbles in the resin before it cures.

Without the vacuum chamber part any bubbles in the mould will collapse and deform the mould during the pressure chamber stage.

I've only cast resin in open moulds to make wargames bases and some bocage scenery. I did consider going more complex, and start selling, for a while and have some parts I sourced for a vacuum chamber in the shed.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Been playing with stowage, not much bench time this weekend.
Decided to ditch the resin jerrycans as the plastic ones are just a bit crisper, and believe it or not they're both the same size......so the plastic handles would of fit the resin cans nicely.
Removed one of the built in stowage bins just to add more interest.
Next up seeing if I can remove the track assemblies before painting.
IMG_20230129_145955.jpg

Actually, yes I can get the tracks off, quicker than the picture above could upload too.
IMG_20230129_151312.jpg