A break from RAF stuff with a cuppa 38(t)

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Been playing with stowage, not much bench time this weekend.
Decided to ditch the resin jerrycans as the plastic ones are just a bit crisper, and believe it or not they're both the same size......so the plastic handles would of fit the resin cans nicely.
Removed one of the built in stowage bins just to add more interest.
Next up seeing if I can remove the track assemblies before painting.
View attachment 472938

Actually, yes I can get the tracks off, quicker than the picture above could upload too.
View attachment 472939
Ha!! ... Excellent that you could remove the track assemblies :smiling3:
.... and don't they look cool ... good stuff mate. ;)

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Adding texture to the exhaust ith TET and a stippling brush.
IMG_20230129_212417.jpg

Going to use acrylics on this, because I have this set of paint on a shelf, contains 1/2 size bottles of paint, including primer and satin varnish. 4 varying shades of grey for modulation.
IMG_20230129_215945.jpg
But I'm not using the primer included and have gone ahead with Tamiya fine surface primer through the airbrush.
IMG_20230129_215932.jpg

Working nights for the next two weeks (With 4 hours commuting each day.) and have an opportunity to get 30 hours of overtime in next weekend so it may be a while before I'm back to this.

Attachments

• IMG_20230129_212417.jpg
    IMG_20230129_212417.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Well that was a long stint, worked 3 shifts last weekend so today my first day off in 13. OTE will be worth it though.
Spent some time this evening painting this using the modulation set.
Can't say I'm impressed, I've used an AK set before and the results are far more pleasing (Must finish that shelf queen one day.)
Maybe it's my eyes but I see no modulation at all, one more layer to go, maybe that will make it pop.....
IMG_20230211_222858.jpg

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well that was a long stint, worked 3 shifts last weekend so today my first day off in 13. OTE will be worth it though.
Spent some time this evening painting this using the modulation set.
Can't say I'm impressed, I've used an AK set before and the results are far more pleasing (Must finish that shelf queen one day.)
Maybe it's my eyes but I see no modulation at all, one more layer to go, maybe that will make it pop.....
View attachment 474070
Hard to tell from the pics,but one thing that you CAN say is,..... those Rivets certainly stand out nicely!! :smiling3:

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
OK, bit of a disaster last night, was attempting to airbrush some nice feathered highlights on some panels but it didn't quite work.
I usually use a file card as a mask, couldn't find one so used a post-it, too floppy and I ended up with a neat line on a face I didn't want it on.
I also mustn't of mixed the paint well enough as I got a bit of spatter and ended up with a lovely night sky effect, again not where I wanted it.
So I decided to blow out the paint and cover up the errors, didn't blow through all the thinners and ended up spraying over thinned paint at the thing......gave up and went to bed.

Fixed this evening though, tracks back on, hairy sticks coming out tomorrow night to pick out some details then on to the stowage.

IMG_20230214_220515.jpg

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks good from here Karl always found modulation a bit hit and miss ive got more kind of pre shade and panel highlight then lay down very light coats of the finish colour till it comes together kinda transparent if that makes sense ,if it looks a bit ott I'll give it a couple of filter coats(heavily thinned) that usually tones down and ties in please don't feel im trying to tell you what to do just a few thoughts. Well done on not throwing the toys out always worth taking a deep breath and bashing on .As for modulation paint sets especially the ak ones I take the jar numbers of dark middle and light and just buy them don't see paying for six barley distinguishable shades. Looking forwards to your next installment Dave

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Looks good from here Karl always found modulation a bit hit and miss ive got more kind of pre shade and panel highlight then lay down very light coats of the finish colour till it comes together kinda transparent if that makes sense ,if it looks a bit ott I'll give it a couple of filter coats(heavily thinned) that usually tones down and ties in please don't feel im trying to tell you what to do just a few thoughts. Well done on not throwing the toys out always worth taking a deep breath and bashing on .As for modulation paint sets especially the ak ones I take the jar numbers of dark middle and light and just buy them don't see paying for six barley distinguishable shades. Looking forwards to your next installment Dave
Actually picked this set up from a clearance bin, the AK one I used previously was excellent, this one not so much, but maybe it's the greys being too close together, the final one is also far too light IMHO so will be brush applied on the really high points. Maybe glazed on in some others.
A lot of stowage going on so not too upset if I'm honest.

Oh, and I never feel anyone is trying to tell me what to do, sharing experiences can help us get out of ruts, try a different approach or at the very least make us think.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Was hoping to do more tonight but......
Stowage mounted for priming.
IMG_20230215_221800.jpg

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think the stowage is going to help break up the grey. Mind these modulation sets can help to break up the basic colour , but sometimes the shade difference is so little that 60 % are useless .

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
My nice handy job, 40 minutes from my front door, meant to last 4 days, giving me a whole week of lie ins and home before 5s......lasted me 2 days so had to go to dún Laoghaire this morning so an early start.
Working away decided I could be finished for shortly after 12 so could get a jump on Fridays job when I received a WhatsApp message from my dad.
"Not a good result I have bowel cancer."
A feckin WhatsApp message.......?!?!

So I've been round, it's a bit out the blue as they were initially looking at something else, needs a CT scan so see where it all is before deciding a treatment plan. Though I've a suspicion I'm getting a bit of a sugar coated version.....

So the rest of the day has been a bit of a write off, I did slope of to the shed for a bit of a weep away from the kids who we haven't said anything to yet, we're waiting to see how far it's spread yet, and while there primed the stowage.

Imagine the above picture but all the bits are now a uniform grey.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My sympathies on reading that news Karl, certainly a jolt to your plans.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
My sympathies on reading that news Karl, certainly a jolt to your plans.
Certainly makes you re-evaluate stuff......and the Mrs started checking her life cover for critical illness....... it's certainly been a week, the sister in-law has a suspected tumour on the back of an eye, looks like she'll be going to England for treatment as there's no neuro surgeon in N.Ireland, and her youngest is still breast feeding......

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thinking of you Karl. Been through some crap myself. Hopefully there will be moments amidst the real life when you can lose yourself in the hobby, or you may find it unsatisfactory.
Either way, if it's as bad as you think, make the most of your dad mate.
All the best
N

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Only just seen this Karl,
Don't know what to say, obviously nothing will really help,but would like you to know that our thoughts go out to you all.
Here's hoping that it's been caught nice and early so the treatment plan can get to work.
Try and keep your chin up mate,(easy for me to say I know :sad: ),
All the very best,

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Really sorry to read all that. My brother was diagnosed with bowel cancer just before the lockdown. He was lucky to get a cancellation so they removed the tumour and gave him a stoma instead. It took a few months before he got the hang of managing the stoma but has been OK for a while now, and his last scan showed no sign of cancer. I hope your dad gets successful treatment - if it's in the early stages it is quite treatable, though it is life-changing.
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Karl

Very sorry to hear the news about your father. I obviously hope it's a reasonably good prognosis.

ATB.

Andrew