Andy T's 1/72 Tamiya Ki-61 "Tony"

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start Andy , looks a beautiful kit ( btw , thanks for potentially increasing my stash - i’m going to have to get this one!) looking forward to the camo, however you decide to tackle it , cheers tony

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tony. It's a really nice kit and I'm not messing it up too much given how long it's been since I did something like this.

After (kinda) masking the canopy it was time for some primer. This went in the dryer for a bit whilst I painted my Challenger.

2023-07-08 15.33.49.jpg

The onto the metal finish. I started out with some automotive paint (Land Rover Zambezi Silver) but got a bit cocky and it started to attack the plastic a little :anguished: A quick rethink and I found some mr color silver to put on instead. It received a few coats of that, buffed in-between with a new microfiber cloth. You can still see some slight funkyness in certain areas but the camo pattern should, erm, camouflage that.

Hard to get a decent picture so I've tried a few different lighting set ups, as well as natural light in a window sill.

2023-07-08 17.50.45.jpg

2023-07-08 17.51.07.jpg

2023-07-08 17.53.44.jpg

Hopefully after drying overnight it should be sturdy enough to stand up to all the masking that is to come.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep, that's looking excellent :cool:,
Looking forward to seeing you take on the "Squiggly" camo.... because I'm going to attempt that on my "Nick" also!!;):thumb2:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys :smiling4:

Andy,
Looking very good indeed wish I had your air brush skills.
After seeing your finished Bishop I was thinking the other way around!

Yep, that's looking excellent :cool:,
Looking forward to seeing you take on the "Squiggly" camo.... because I'm going to attempt that on my "Nick" also!!;):thumb2:
I've been practicing to try and get my eye in with the airbrush but still not fully confident I can pull it off so may brush it. Doesn't help that I've bent a 3rd needle in quick succession on my "detail" one! It must be super delicate as I've had other AB's for years without dinking them.

This is where I got up to with the PS-270. Getting close but still not nailed it.

2023-07-02 18.35.41.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
....Oh I don't know about that Andy...
.... That looks pretty damned good to me!! :cool:
Thanks, but being autistic does have its disadvantages when it comes to self criticism.

A bit more practice and I'll decide which way to go but brush will definitely be easier and more accurate I reckon.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks guys :smiling4:

After seeing your finished Bishop I was thinking the other way around!

I've been practicing to try and get my eye in with the airbrush but still not fully confident I can pull it off so may brush it. Doesn't help that I've bent a 3rd needle in quick succession on my "detail" one! It must be super delicate as I've had other AB's for years without dinking them.

This is where I got up to with the PS-270. Getting close but still not nailed it.

View attachment 485848
Love the smiley face in the middle of that...

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Love the smiley face in the middle of that...
That's when I was getting a bit more confident with the mixture/pressure/distance balance.

Ha!! I noticed that too Chris,in fact he looks like a cowboy to me.... He's got a neckerchief and the suggestion of a cowboy hat's brim too I reckon ;)
Haha, I can't unsee that now :smiling5:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Lots of fiddly masking today. Not sure I'd go down this route again in 1/72 but it's not going too bad so far.

First up was the black anti-glare panel then I set about masking up for the stripe on the wings leading edge. Just to make it more awkward this doesn't quite follow any panel lines and also clips all of the landing gear covers

2023-07-09 10.12.04.jpg

2023-07-09 10.37.07.jpg

Then the blue racing stripes

2023-07-09 11.40.40.jpg

2023-07-09 12.09.46.jpg

And finally the white surround for the red markings. This was the least successful part as I'm near the lower limits of what my circle cutter can manage (bearing in mind I need to go even smaller for the red part) but it's not bad if you squint a bit.

2023-07-09 12.38.00.jpg

2023-07-09 12.38.09.jpg

Red tail and roundels next but I'll rest my peepers a bit before that! :nerd:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Looking pretty bloody smart to me Andy!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks chaps, much appreciated.

After some lunch and resting my eyes for a while I set about the red circley bits (yes I know they have a proper name). I've left the tail for now as I didn't want to bite off too much in one go.

There's a little smudging and one has a bit of a thumb print from demasking but very happy given the size of this thing. Top of the starboard wing shows signs of the funkyness caused by the automotive paint. Plenty of green squiggles should disguise it!

2023-07-09 15.35.54.jpg

2023-07-09 15.36.07.jpg

Sat drying on the top shelf where it's 30+ degrees