Andy T's 1/72 Tamiya Ki-61 "Tony"

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you all so much. Your comments & reactions make all that masking worthwhile :smiling3:

Since those pictures I've fixed the fuzziness around the lower hinomaru by masking them out and repainting the ailerons in a slightly different silver for a bit of variety.

A biblical thunderstorm had me running from the shed so haven't got the tail done today as I'd hoped but there's plenty of time for that.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thank you all so much. Your comments & reactions make all that masking worthwhile :smiling3:

Since those pictures I've fixed the fuzziness around the lower hinomaru by masking them out and repainting the ailerons in a slightly different silver for a bit of variety.

A biblical thunderstorm had me running from the shed so haven't got the tail done today as I'd hoped but there's plenty of time for that.
We had that yesterday. Hahahaha, I was meteorologically 'locked' in my man cave. So had more time on my kit!!! Downside was the coffee wasn't forthcoming!!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Ian, it's certainly testing my masking skills!

Sorry but there are more pictures :smiling5:

I sprayed the tail this afternoon and the red markings around the wing mounted MG's. There was no way I was going to manage the no-step lines on the wings so gave in and used the supplied decals. I also added the tail decals. Thankfully the film isn't too visible so I think I'll varnish/clearcoat the tail but leave the wings. The camo pattern is supposed to go over those markings on the wings anyway so it should disguise the film a bit.

Hopefully it'll disguise where I've glued the antenna mount back together too :rolling:

2023-07-10 18.26.59.jpg

2023-07-10 18.27.21.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work andy , the masked markings look excellent , going to look very tasty with the green squiggles on ! Cheers tony

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks again Tony & Paul.

I've started on the camouflage pattern. Please bear in mind this is only one coat, applied by a #4 hairy stick, so it's awfully patchy, but subsequent coats will sort that and allow me to clean up any stray edges. At least the first one is down so I have something to follow now.

2023-07-11 19.01.32.jpg

2023-07-11 19.01.45.jpg

I put some retarder in the paint to help me out so will leave it overnight to dry thoroughly before going again.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Excellent so far. The camo looks great and will be even better with more coats.

I don't own an airbrush and only use the hairy stick. I've been put off by painting complicated camos like this but after seeing your splendid effort, I might give it a go.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks excellent Andy. How it will look after round two? I can only guess.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks all.

Mike - I did do some tests with the airbrush but glad I went this way in the end. On the other hand I've almost ruined my Challenger build by trying to brush something I should have sprayed. Ups & downs :smiling5:

Ian - fingers crossed I don't fudge it up lol

Tim - I know what you mean. I think I preferred how it looked before but no going back now.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is a mighty fine paint job Andy. Really neatly done and really eye-catching.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jim, you definitely wouldn't lose it in a car park!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Pete.

Well, apart from maybe a few finishing touches and another attempt at the antenna wire, this is done.

Maybe I should have picked something a bit larger but it's flown along due to the great engineering and the fact that I just couldn't put it down! It's my first aircraft in a looong time and I really, really enjoyed it, so thanks Andy for this GB which gave me the excuse to get back into the skies.

2023-07-12 17.41.26.jpg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Mate,that looks incredible!! :dizzy:
Well done for sure... and in double quick time I might add!!:thumb2:
Superb stuff!