Andy T's Bandai 1/48 AT-ST

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
My second attempt at a pine tree came out much better than the first, but still some room for improvement I think. Not having a dark coloured flock meant I had to airbrush it afterwards.

I'll stick this one near the back and maybe third time lucky if I darken the flock first, leaving less painting afterwards.

1000007828.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not a bad attempt at what is probably the hardest modelling challenge out there Andy. The airbrushing is helping a bit as well. I haven’t made many but have found highlighting the foliage canopy to break up the colour essential, and you’ve got a bit of that going on here.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tim. The first try was woeful so I'm already getting better :smiling5:

I've planted the trunks and started to integrate them. I know redwoods should get thicker at the base but I'm not that clever! Ferns & ivy should help fudge that. (PVA is still wet here)

1000007832.jpg

And I've airbrushed some base colours onto the cast.

1000007831.jpg

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks Tim. The first try was woeful so I'm already getting better :smiling5:

I've planted the trunks and started to integrate them. I know redwoods should get thicker at the base but I'm not that clever! Ferns & ivy should help fudge that. (PVA is still wet here)

View attachment 508668

And I've airbrushed some base colours onto the cast.

View attachment 508669
'Ah! We've got the drop on them now! ' Just before Chewie leaps down and tears... You know the rest

Seriously tho', even though Stormtroopers are just black and white, they are NOT easy to paint

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Only just caught this one andy , so had a good read through . First off sending best wishes to Zoe and yourself , stay positive .
Back to the build , great work , these Bandai kits are brilliantly detailed arent they ( except , strangely , the pilots with their Lego man arms!?)
The base is coming on beautifully , the trees and ferns are going to look great . Cheers tony

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Seriously tho', even though Stormtroopers are just black and white, they are NOT easy to paint
So I'm finding! I can see lots of touch ups being needed on the white

Thanks on all counts Tony and yes, I'm really impressed with the kit. Detail and engineering are great.

I've made a start on the stormtroopers, done some work on Chewie, and have pretty much finished the first Ewok:

1000007846.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Andy love this dio scene you are doin with the walker an ewoks as loved the film an you are doin a spot on job of this very well done sir an best wishes to Zoe
chrisb an jen

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Chris, it's all starting to come together a bit now. Plenty of gardening left to do.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul.

The Ewoks are positioned (although I forgot to gloss their eyes) and I've begun building up the foliage. I have a packet of green leaves somewhere that is great for making ivy but it seems to have got lost in the move from the shed!

1000007868.jpg

1000007869.jpg

1000007870.jpg