Badder's hurricane ?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Doing research for a 1/48 hurricane and found some but the problem is decals for Bader's nearest I've found is the italieri kit that has the first two letters LE but then has an A after the roundel

I was wondering if anyone knew if his markings were in any kit as an option as I can't find any after market ones

Any help is much appreciated:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Alan, his aircraft had D roundel B on it......His call sign because of these letters was 'Dogsbody'

I can't say for sure if these letters appeared on his Hurricane, but they were on his Spitfire....just like the scale model header page!

I hope this isn't duff gen....it wouldn't be the first time!!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The D B was on his Spit not on the Hurry IRC.

Hasegawa released the 1/48 Bader version but they are like hens teeth now and can be expensive. Hannants used to stock some: http://www.hannants.co.uk/

Also checkout Ark models they do a 1/48 Bader Hurry MK1 with model and decal sheet.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks Ron yeah his spit had the letters DB on them but I looked at his hurry and it was LE then the D when he was sdn ldr of 242 squadron , I can get his spit as a 1/48 but really want the hurry as it's my favourite

Thanks for your reply mate I apreciate it :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
This is what you are after, the kit is poor quality but the decals are supposed to be okay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawker-Hurricane-Mk-I-Ace-Douglas-Bader-1-48-model-kit-Ark-48026-/321392989373?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item4ad483d4bd

If you can bodge some then great, or see if someone can print you some off with decal paper.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
The D B was on his Spit not on the Hurry IRC.Hasegawa released the 1/48 Bader version but they are like hens teeth now and can be expensive. Hannants used to stock some: http://www.hannants.co.uk/

Also checkout Ark models they do a 1/48 Bader Hurry MK1 with model and decal sheet.

Mate I've looked at hannants and they don't do them I might just get after market decals for his spit and use the D if it comes to it :smiling3:

Thanks for you input buddy :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Maybe the aircraft lads will be able to sort you out as they will have more of a clue.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I'm sure one of those knowledgable chaps will know what to do :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Buy the Italeri Mk I Hurricane, It has the right squadron codes. and the kick in the pants nose art. Just need to change the A in the codes for a D and give it the serial number; V7467

job done.

All the letters and numbers needed are on the decal sheet. You will just need to chop and change a bit. Some suggest that the Kick in the pants art was on both sides, but there is only one on the sheet.

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Buy the Italeri Mk I Hurricane, It has the right squadron codes. and the kick in the pants nose art. Just need to change the A in the codes for a D and give it the serial number; V7467job done.

All the letters and numbers needed are on the decal sheet. You will just need to chop and change a bit. Some suggest that the Kick in the pants art was on both sides, but there is only one on the sheet.

Ian M
Thanks Ian you've made my day that's what I needed to know , I'm bidding on the italieri one but if I lose out I think john has one on the site so I'll get that :smiling3:

I much appreciate the info :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Between 1941 and 1945 the rank of Wing Commander and higher entitled those pilots to carry personal codes on their aircraft. Squadron Leaders and those ranked below that were stuck with squadron or unit codes.

Some examples are Douglas Bader (D B), Keith Park (OK 1), Roland Beamont (R B), Evan Dall Mackie (EDM).

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers joe you've just answered a question that Google won't need to answer for me :D

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ian's got it right above. I believe the boot up Hitler's arse artwork was on both sides of Bader and McKnight's Hurricanes noses.

It is often forgotten that Bader was a relatively junior Squadron Leader during the BoB period,having been appointed to that rank only in June 1940. His relationships with more senior officers, particularly Leigh-Mallory, and his shameless self promotion both during and after the war often lead people to suppose otherwise.

During the BoB Bader and his wing were only in combat on seven occasions.

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Here's a picture of Bader's Hurricane (replica) as a gate guardian at RAF Coltishall.
Thanks for that Andy she's a beauty I love the hurricane I think she looks much better than the spitfire :smiling3:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Is there really a proper model of bader's hurricane in 1:48? if so, I have never seen it.

John

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Is there really a proper model of bader's hurricane in 1:48? if so, I have never seen it.John
No john there's not but you can jury rig the decals to make one

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hasegawa did Bader's Hurricane in 1/48 scale http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10028117 (kit dated 2002)

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Hasegawa did Bader's Hurricane in 1/48 scale http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10028117 (kit dated 2002)
Yes I saw that but it don't think you can get it now , the only other ones I saw in this scale was airfix and another one with Russian markings neither had the decals I needed to build Bader's :smiling3: