"Bendy Bus" VW Doka / 5th wheel camper kitbash

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The marbling is amazing. The cups are perfect. The bodywork is excellent. I've found if you look at a subject from a distance that represents the image your trying to depict, the printing on it is easier to to do. The gas bottle might be easier with a pen. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the great comments all, they are really appreciated!

Not much to show for today, just more filling and sanding. I'd class it a bit like cleaning up individual track links, not exactly exciting stuff but needs to be done and will be worth the effort (I hope!) :smiling3:

I used up my last drops of primer on this but thankfully I've found somewhere that has it in stock so I've ordered two. Same with my favourite GX-100 clear as that seems to be thin on the ground too, and I reckon I'll need a fair amount for both bodies.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well the guys have said it all Andy. Stunning work and attention to detail all round. Well done my friend

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Andy brilliant scratch building your certainly up there with the best now, if his is what you can accomplished in the build stage the paint is going to be amazing, bring it on.
Pete. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

I reckon I'm a long way from that yet Pete, but it's very nice of you to say. I'm certainly really happy with how I'm progressing though. With so many of you to look up to it's bound to rub off on me I guess :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

I'll start off tonight's update with a picture I sent to a mate who wanted to see how things were progressing. I did a quick interior mock up for him. My Ikea desk lamp has given it a nice warm sunset-by-the-beach feel I think. I'm not happy with the finish on the sink & tap, but have some chrome paint on the way.

EmFeL0C.jpg

I decided it was time to paint the interiors as it's getting to the point where I need to close things up, which would make that process much harder afterwards. I'd already painted the pick up floor so that had to be masked up first

2hZ11rW.jpg

Good job I haven't built myself a spray booth yet, I doubt this lot would have fitted in!

tjCtKFH.jpg

I painted the interior door trims on both bodies to match the cupboards, for a consistent theme. The flat cards are trims I've made for the rear of the pick up, as masking an painting in situ would be a nightmare, plus it helps them to match the front doors better. Although after looking at them now I'm sure I'll get pulled up for not adding the rivets/trim clips around the edges. :smiling5:

9pyOaV9.jpg

Added a leisure battery for the trailer, along with cables and a ground terminal

L4UdXlN.jpg

Now for the gas bottle with the wonky lettering. Simon T had kindly drawn me out several printable graphics, including the Calor logo. The plan was to get Zoë to print them out next time she was at work, but then it dawned on me that I'd never get the gas bottle to fit if I didn't do it now! Sorry Simon, but thanks very much for your time.

Instead I disguised the writing with a gas hose in regulation bright orange. Made from copper wire covered in some heat shrink tubing I had left over from a previous hobby, giving a pretty realistic rubber look.

3fVSVow.jpg

As you can see, it's a tight fit and would never have fitted once the door was on. There will be more stuff added in that compartment but this time I'll make it small enough to fit! :upside:

The reason I needed to add the door now was that it's sandwiched in between the body halves. I made the mistake on the pick up of thinking I could squeeze it in afterwards. After breaking it I realised that it wasn't an option!

1nzk3QC.jpg

And the side doors line up pretty well, much better than it appears in this picture. A bit of flex when I glue the roof in place and we're sorted. I'm happy with that to say how much this has been chopped around

2a5rWCL.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work Andy , it’s a real treat to watch this evolve , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tony.

I'm running out of inspiration, I need another camping trip soon! :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andy & Steven. More progress today hopefully.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Andy,

I still don't have words for this extraordinary work your are doing here. This looks so good and detailed to the last degree!!!

So come on now Scratchy, tell us you've also made lawn chairs and a folding table too...…………...

Bleib Gesund
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Many thanks Allen, I hope I can keep it up to a reasonable standard.

And you are giving me ideas there with the furniture. I wasn't planning on a base as it would be huge, but you've now got me thinking. I have this picture hung in my kitchen that I could use for inspiration :smiling5:

7SwPsRv.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Coming on a real treat. Very careful, neat work. You need a dog to sit in the doorway as per the ref picture :tongue-out3:
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm more of a cat person myself, but I'm sure there'd be some sort of animal if I end up doing a scene for it. I'd better not try and scratch one though, it'd probably end up looking like a hippo :smiling5:

Currently I'm rummaging through the little shed, measuring my camping gear. Allen has set me off....

• Haha

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Lawdy Scratchy,

I can't believe it!!!!!!!! These are totally outrageous Andy. I was only kidding really, but damn, you sure have delivered the goods. These are something else!!!!!!!! They will look good stored or in use here..............

Prost auf dich und Bleib Gesund
Allen

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not quite what you requested Allen, but here's a folding chair and a side table. Will that suffice? :tongue-out2:

RQ8qnMX.jpg

XNPOhi3.jpg

P9Nxx7U.jpg

8gPE0R9.jpg

Mostly 2 x 1mm plastic strip, some wire for the hinges, and a bit of old tent fabric.

Perfick!