"Bendy Bus" VW Doka / 5th wheel camper kitbash

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
This is superb mate the added details are excellent and well thought out. This is a joy to follow.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Sorry to join just now, but the sunny side for being so late is that I have been allowed to enjoy your wonderful endeavour from the start and follow it for absolutely amazing 30 minutes of pure modelling pleasure.

D

Deleted member 7181

Once again, thank you for all the very positive comments, I'm glad you like it so much!

I'm kinda lost for words so I hope a :thumb2: will do the trick

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great update Andy. You certainly have the bit between your teeth. Nice to see the wet stuff as well.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve. House arrest is driving me crazy so I need something to keep me busy!

EDIT: I must have been typing while you were Andy. Thanks, and here you go :smiling3:

Today's update:

A few pages back I put up a picture of the roof rack. I wasn't happy with the size of the slats so swapped them for 3mm plastic strip instead, which I think look more in scale. Of course that meant they needed painting so these and the BBQ shelf got brushed in a basecoat of Vallejo Model Air "Wood". I then mixed in various amounts of their "Dirt" and "Burnt Umber" to provide a bit of a grain effect. It wouldn't fool everyone but it gives a bit of variation at least.

3WGp0UM.jpg

I then had a shocking attempt at a Tartan Blanket :smiling5: I'm not sure any self respecting Clan would own up to this pattern but it's a start. I'll probably add some more stripes with a brush to make it look a bit more tartan-ey. This was all masked and airbrushed as a full (scale) sized piece, then folded afterwards, so that the pattern was there through the folds. It's the little things....

zgls85A.jpg

Those bits filled up the time between today's main task - painting the bodies.

After a few more failed test runs at masking on the curved bodyline running around each one, I decided to go the other route and threw some colour on first.

fELwcke.jpg

I then masked this off on the easier flatter profile of the bodywork and put on the white. It took a few coats but I got there in the end.

aLoYjpH.jpg

If you get close up you can see the build up on the tape edge from all that white

MmnjKOZ.jpg

But at a reasonable viewing distance it looks okay. Much better I think than the inevitable bleed I'd get when trying to mask the other way, with the tape puckering up on the compound curves

Xt3zvN2.jpg

Then after a good coat of gloss I took them outside for a more realistic look at the colour. There are a few bits of dirt in the paint that need dealing with, but I'll probably let it harden up for a day or so, sand it all, then re-gloss.

1Iahj5X.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy, This really is excellent mate the wood on the roof rack looks totally convincing.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I then mixed in various amounts of their "Dirt" and "Burnt Umber" to provide a bit of a grain effect. It wouldn't fool everyone but it gives a bit of variation at least.
Don’t sell yourself short Andy , that wood grain effect is superb , the rack looks better with the bigger gaps too . Loving the colour , it’s virtually the same as my McLaren P1 ( it’s on order ,just waiting for the numbers to come up :smiling5: )

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Coming together nicely. Wood looks like teak right now, I wouldn't touch it. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Scottie. I was very happy with it myself but you never know how these things come across to others.

Thanks Chris. I spent ages trying to decide on a colour but plumped for a kind of sunflower yellow in the end. I started painting my real one that colour but couldn't afford that many rattle cans :smiling5:

Yes, much happier with this version Tony. By the way, I work across the road (Parkway) from the new McLaren place. When I'm back I'll pop in and see how it's getting on...

Thanks Paul. It's had a coat of varnish to seal it in but it'll be stopping like that. I just need to work on some more accessories to stow up there :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Yes, much happier with this version Tony. By the way, I work across the road (Parkway) from the new McLaren place. When I'm back I'll pop in and see how it's getting on...
I go past it every day andy on my way to brinsworth , so are you at the car people then ?or are you spraying cars on the 16 th fairway at tinsley golf course :smiling5:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Yet again more stunning work!! You really have to the knack of this modelling business.

Very well done Indeed.

ATB

Andrew

First Name
Andy
Finished colour looks the dogs danglies and the roof rack is just fab, keep up the excellent work Andy.

Andy.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andy & Andrew, more to come :smiling3:

Yes Tony, although we got bought out by the Sytner group recently (who in turn had just been bought by Penske Automotive Group) so we're now called Carshop.

Golf course sounds a better idea though! :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

Not much to show for today as I've mostly been removing the masking and touching up where the paint has blown through door gaps etc.

I have managed to make the BBQ look a bit more "lived in" though, and added some tongs made from foil.

gETcNed.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Started fitting out the interior today. It's mostly CA glue from here on in so a huge likelihood of things going wrong! I've missed a decal on the dashboard but I can still just about get to it.

Z5IKDrw.jpg

And Zoë challenged me to make a frying pan, so I had a go. It came out a bit smaller than I'd hoped and wouldn't exactly fit a Full English, but it looks a bit like what I was trying to make so pleased enough. The "non stick" needs dulling down with a swipe of satin varnish I think

CZ4LnXf.jpg

I'm currently ploughing my way through the 32 windows that need a trial fit, adjusting as required, a rubber seal painting around them, then hopefully fitting into the same frame I've adjusted them for!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Cracking work Andy

Its superb both inside and out and all the camping equipment too

The roof rack looks spot on

Well done and keep it up, though the masking has been a pig, with some clear coat will level it all out and look great with a polish

Nice one

Steve H