Billings Boat Mary Ann

S

steve244

Hi All

Just joined the forum after having my interest in modeling rekindled and have decided to go with this model to start me off,the main reason for chosing this particular model to build is simple for over 20 years i worked on these ships and so think i have an edge when it comes to the more detailed parts of the construction.

My intention is to modify the model to one of the ships i worked on but at the moment im not sure whether to go for a more modern design from the 80's or an older one from the 60's or 70's. Choosing to stick to the older ships would not really change the model a great deal i would only need to add more detail to the model, going down the more modern route would entail a redesign of the wheelhouse and adding a whaleback/shelterdeck, still i have plenty of time to think about that after i have built the hull because this hull design has been a standard one for over 40 years.

Ok so onto the model, i will put up some pics of what i have done since starting the model about 2 days ago and hope you enjoy reading the thread

regards

steve

A

andygh

Lovely kit, I predict a lot of planking in your future

Are you going to RC it or static display?

S

Sestos

Built that kit 25 years ago was my first wooden one. One thing i did after planking was not to sand the planking too smoothly if you look at photos of these vessels you can see the planking under the paint and leaving the plank edges slightly proud gives that effect after painting.

C

CDW

I'll be watching this... the thing is that you will be able to make all the adjustments from memory, they'll all be authentic so the finished result will be spot on.

i loved making my 1/35 crabboat (threads on here somewhere) and ended up with a healthy respect for model boat builders.

S

steve244

\ said:
Built that kit 25 years ago was my first wooden one. One thing i did after planking was not to sand the planking too smoothly if you look at photos of these vessels you can see the planking under the paint and leaving the plank edges slightly proud gives that effect after painting.
hi sestos thats right you could alway see the planks in these ships and i have also built it before may have been more than 25yrs one thing i did notice with this kit is that it has no pins for nailing the planks unlike the earlier one did and the method of planking has changed as well i think in the earlier kit you planked it with full strips of wood but with this one it is cut at various frames.

As for the other question i intend it to be a static model and going to start planking today at some point, keep me out of trouble anyway lol

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

I've recently become interested in wooden ship kits and will be watching your build closely.

Does the material used to plank the hull come with the kit or do you buy the planking separately?

I'd really love to have a go at the Victory at some point but would need some pointers as to how to get on!

All the best

Paul

S

steve244

hi Paul

all the materials you need to build it is in the kit including some of the fittings but some those i will have to make myself or alter,you will have to be patient with me as i work away and this is my last week at home for a month.Doing something like the Victory is a bit out of my league just now i would not know where to start on something like that.

cheers

steve

T

tecdes

\ said:
hi Paulall the materials you need to build it is in the kit including some of the fittings but some those i will have to make myself or alter,you will have to be patient with me as i work away and this is my last week at home for a month.Doing something like the Victory is a bit out of my league just now i would not know where to start on something like that.

cheers

steve
Bit dozy here Steve as this is out of my zone. But how does the kit come down. Is it similar to plastic kits ie cut out or do you do the cutting out ?

Very impressive. Must be rewarding.

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Hello again Steve, Nice to see another Ship on the Forum, keep up the good work. Cheers Derek

S

steve244

Hi Laurie

The kit has the parts laser cut into wood their is just a small piece left attached which you cut just like on plastic models except the planking which are individual strips of wood of various thicknesses and just like a plastic model the instructions are just drawings of what part goes where.

Well first thing i did today while soaking some planks was to alter the trawl winch base which is designed to take 2 warp drums and as this model will be a seine net vessel i have had to alter it to a single drum winch just for the anchor gear,granted some had split drum winches but very few so am sticking with what i know.

View attachment 44438View attachment 44439View attachment 44440View attachment 44441View attachment 44442View attachment 44443View attachment 44444View attachment 44445View attachment 44446View attachment 44447View attachment 44448View attachment 44449

well thats as far as i have got today i doubt very much that i will have the hull completely planked before the end of the week as out all day tomorrow and the weekend will be taken up with the grand kids and getting ready for sea.

cheers

steve

View attachment 47619

View attachment 47620

View attachment 47621

View attachment 47622

View attachment 47623

View attachment 47624

View attachment 47625

View attachment 47626

View attachment 47627

View attachment 47628

View attachment 47629

View attachment 47630

Model Seiner 001.JPG

Model Seiner 002.JPG

Model Seiner 003.JPG

Model Seiner 004.JPG

Model Seiner 005.JPG

Model Seiner 006.JPG

Model Seiner 007.JPG

Model Seiner 008.JPG

Model Seiner 009.JPG

Model Seiner 010.JPG

Model Seiner 011.JPG

Model Seiner 012.JPG

S

steve244

Hi Derek

Thanks just hope i can do justice to the forum with this thread i doubt very much it will match your trawler thread but hope members enjoy it just as much ?.

got some of the paints for the kit today ready as i think it will be easier to paint somethings before fixing them to the ship.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve

The boat can take as long as it takes. I'm all for getting a model built well and at a reasonable pace. As for the Victory, I've never attempted a wooden planked model before, never mind a flag ship like that! If it's out of your league it's certainly out of mine!

Still, I'll be interested to see a wooden boat model being made, I think they make up into very impressive pieces.

Cheers

Paul

S

steve244

hi Paul

Yeh they certainly do make great models i just hope that i dont make a mess of it been a long time since i made anything, used to really enjoy making models when i was a teen

mostly Airfix and Revel kits boats and planes and always got broken when my mother did her dusting, only ever built 2 wooden ships before this same model and one from plans i think it was called Launch Out another fishing boat but scotish if i remember correctly.

I have made templates from card of the bulkheads for this ship so that i can scratch build another of my own at some later date probably of a ship a friend sailed on but was lost with all hands back in the 80's

View attachment 44464

There is a forum with some good build logs on of the victory some really nice pics of the construction called model space dont know if you have seen it before ?

cheers

steve

View attachment 47645

LING BANK 2 REF IP.jpg

Last edited:
S

Sky Raider

Nice Kit Steve, just getting into boats RC so Ill be watching this one with interest. A belated welcome from me by the way.

Andy

S

steve244

Hi Andy

Thanks hope you enjoy the thread, its my first time at doing a build log so any comments welcome

steve

S

steve244

ok now i have started laying the planks i have found that some of the frames are slightly narrower than others and miss shaping the planks and im finding that i have to put fillers in behind them and also that the frames shape cuts away to much so that i have to twist the plank to get the bottom of it to lay against the frame otherwise it looks like its clinkered, i can see i am going to be using alot of filler in places to give the hull an even look.

View attachment 44525View attachment 44526

so far the stern is not giving me too many problems in the same way as the forward end, but having said that it is getting to the stage where i expect to get some.

View attachment 44536View attachment 44537View attachment 44538

all in all tho i think that it is coming on well and taking shape.

cheers

steve

View attachment 47701

View attachment 47702

View attachment 47712

View attachment 47713

View attachment 47714

Model Seiner 002.JPG

Model Seiner 006.JPG

Model Seiner 001.JPG

Model Seiner 007.JPG

Model Seiner 008.JPG

S

steve244

now on another note, i have been thinking about installing working lights for this and was wondering if anybody could help me with info on what i would need for this ?.All i want really is a set up that i can just switch on and off during the evenings apart from the obvious ie rechargeable batteries and a switch i dont have any idea of which components would suit me best.

cheers

steve

T

tecdes

\ said:
now on another note, i have been thinking about installing working lights for this and was wondering if anybody could help me with info on what i would need for this ?.All i want really is a set up that i can just switch on and off during the evenings apart from the obvious ie rechargeable batteries and a switch i dont have any idea of which components would suit me best.cheers

steve
If you do not get answers on that one on the forum Steve let me know. My eldest son is a qualified electrician & looks after switch stuff at our power station. He is always tinkering with his MG rewiring motor bics etc. so knows all about low volt installations. Be careful on this one as low volt is more fire worthy than 240 stuff if not installed correctly. Sure he will help.

Laurie

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
now on another note, i have been thinking about installing working lights for this and was wondering if anybody could help me with info on what i would need for this ?.All i want really is a set up that i can just switch on and off during the evenings apart from the obvious ie rechargeable batteries and a switch i dont have any idea of which components would suit me best.cheers

steve
Hi Steve, i just spent around £40 on the stuff i need to put all the lights on the Happy Hunter around 50 in total. You wont need so many though. Let me know what you want to do and ill look at it for you.

Cheers

Andy