Billings Boat Mary Ann

S

steve244

hi gents

many thanks for the offers, iv'e been looking round at some sites and was thinking of having the 4 nav lights and three deck lights as working lights. there are a couple of masthead lights in the kit that i could use i imagine as the underside of the lamp is open so im assuming that a 3mm light would be ok as i am thinking that the 3mm is the length of the bulb. Sorry if this all sounds a bit obvious but never done anything like this before so dont want to be getting things that wont work.

cheers

steve

S

steve244

well thats the hull planked been a pain in the bum at times but i think it's turned out ok, had to use a bit of filler here and there and then sanded the hull down not too smooth as i want the planking to show through after painting just like a real one does.

View attachment 44678View attachment 44679View attachment 44680View attachment 44681

i will also be adding one or two things that are not in the kit but are on the original ships, but that will have to wait til i return home as im away to aberdeen on moday for work

cheers

steve

View attachment 47839

View attachment 47840

View attachment 47841

View attachment 47842

Model Seiner 001.JPG

Model Seiner 002.JPG

Model Seiner 003.JPG

Model Seiner 004.JPG

T

tecdes

I think Steve you have tricked me into having a go at this. Been also watching John's article with his Billings & think this is all more than stirring my interest.

If you have time could you describe in broad terms the difference in the sets Gillows to Plastic models & difference in constructing.

Can almost see another stack of models type Gillows.

Laurie

S

steve244

\ said:
If you have time could you describe in broad terms the difference in the sets Gillows to Plastic models & difference in constructing.

Laurie
hi Laurie

thats done a wooooosh over my head lol, sorry but dont know what you mean by Gillows ?

steve

S

steve244

\ said:
Coming along nicely Steve. Cheers Derek
thanks derek just a bit more filling and sanding then she will be ready for a coat of paint, but that will have to wait another 4/5 weeks now til i get home

cheers

steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

Good progress with the hull. What type of filler do you use, Does it have to be wood filler?

I can see that planking is something of a technique to master. Do you know of anyway to treat the planks so that they bend more naturally to the shape you want, steaming them perhaps? I'm completely new to this and would be grateful of any tips anywhere! I'm also going to try and catch up with a few other wooden ship builds as I'm really interested.

Keep up the great work!

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tell you what, this and the other boat kits on here has certainly got me a'thinking about getting something along the same lines!

They certainly make up into lovely models.

Who knows, as a retired thick old joiner, I might just stand a chance of completing one.....Now where's my chain saw?

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In my surfing around looking into my little project for the future, I found this place, Action Electronics if its electronic and for a boat, they will sort you out.

Ian M

T

tecdes

\ said:
hi Lauriethats done a wooooosh over my head lol, sorry but dont know what you mean by Gillows ?

steve
Aplogies STeve. Been looking at another site at the same time in which a Gillows model is being constructed.

For Gillows read Billings.

Laurie

S

steve244

Hi Paul

Good progress with the hull. What type of filler do you use, Does it have to be wood filler?

I am using wood filler on some parts and a white putty on others, the reason being the putty gives off a strong odour so try and keep it to minimal

I can see that planking is something of a technique to master. Do you know of anyway to treat the planks so that they bend more naturally to the shape you want, steaming them perhaps?

I found that just soaking the planks for 20/30 mins makes them easier to bend with this model anyway, i know when i first built this 30 odd years ago you had to steam the planks which i think works well i recall reading somewhere that using a steam iron for bending the planks is one good way by steaming and bending the wood at the same time you can also buy plank benders but have never used one so cannot comment on how good they are and patience is a big asset when doing this job.

If you try to rush the planking you will end up breaking more than you bend lol.

hope this helps

steve

S

steve244

hi Paul

to be honest not really sure if i can give you an answer to this one as i have not touched a plastic kit in 40years so i would have thought things have improved with them since then.

sorry mate

steve

S

steve244

\ said:
Tell you what, this and the other boat kits on here has certainly got me a'thinking about getting something along the same lines!They certainly make up into lovely models.

Who knows, as a retired thick old joiner, I might just stand a chance of completing one.....Now where's my chain saw?

Ron
Hi Ron

Your right there they do make up into some great models and being a joiner well it would be right up your street i recon, i think wood is a great to work with and have always prefered making my models in wood.

go on give it a go

cheers

steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hi PaulGood progress with the hull. What type of filler do you use, Does it have to be wood filler?

I am using wood filler on some parts and a white putty on others, the reason being the putty gives off a strong odour so try and keep it to minimal

I can see that planking is something of a technique to master. Do you know of anyway to treat the planks so that they bend more naturally to the shape you want, steaming them perhaps?

I found that just soaking the planks for 20/30 mins makes them easier to bend with this model anyway, i know when i first built this 30 odd years ago you had to steam the planks which i think works well i recall reading somewhere that using a steam iron for bending the planks is one good way by steaming and bending the wood at the same time you can also buy plank benders but have never used one so cannot comment on how good they are and patience is a big asset when doing this job.

If you try to rush the planking you will end up breaking more than you bend lol.

hope this helps

steve
Here is a good one. Ammonia. Pop your planks into a tube and fill it with ammonia. Leave it overnight. In the morning you will have planks that you can tie knots in. Rise the ammonia off and pin or clamp them to the former or the ribs of the hull and leave them to dry. Once dry, then you can glue them.

If you are going to sail the boat, once the hull is done coat the inside with glass fibre resin. This will give it strength and make it water tight. If you are going for a natural wood finish on the out side, after sanding the planks smooth, a single layer or clear resin with a glass fibre felt will give you a glass clear and hard surface. WITHOUT having to give it umpteen coats of varnish and sandings.

Ian M

S

steve244

hi Ian

Some good tips their that i did not know about

cheers

steve

S

steve244

hi all well home again so should be ready to start again soon hope you all enjoyed the nice weather cheers steve

S

steve244

thanks mobear i got myself one of those headsets with the magnified lenses came in very useful, dont think i could have done it without something like that to hand. steve