Boatmans 1/72 nd scale HMS Tiger C20

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
This has been one truly amazing build. Probably the best of its kind I have ever seen. Very well done. :thumb2: :smiling: .
John.
MANY thanks John yes when i first looked at the plans i thought god what have i let myself in for but she turned out ok lets just hope she will perform well on the pond
cheers
ATB
Chrisb

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
HI Dave well ive got my eye on HMS CLYDE IN 1/48TH SCALE but it all depends on how much the F/G hull costs as i want to be able to cut down a lot of hull buildin an get straight on the details side of the build an hope i can finish it before i snuff it lol
chrisb
1/48? That's going to be big.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
1/48? That's going to be big.
Pete
HI Pete well as this will definitely be my last ship as im gettin on this will be nothing like tiger as clyde is a small patrol R/N vessel an in 1/48 th scale should only be about 4 to 5 ft long so not all that big but will be intresting makin things work on it an its a fairly new ship only about 10 yrs old or so so that should keep me busy modelin her till my time is up
ATB
Chrisb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The others have said it all Chris. A simply stunning model. A real tribute to your time, skills and effort.

Very, very well done.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The others have said it all Chris. A simply stunning model. A real tribute to your time, skills and effort.

Very, very well done.

Andrew

WELL Andrew as i have said to all the guys many many thanks for your lovely comments on my build of HMS TIGER as she was a ship that ive always wanted to build in a fair sized scale but till up untill a few yrs ago i could not get the plans done in 1/72 scale as they were just not done in this scale but thanks to a company that does plans i asked them if they would go the extra mile as such an blow up their exsting plans an yes they did but cost a bit more but i got what i wanted as i had this ship in a very small scale when i was a young lad some 60 yrs ago but little did i realise that i would build her big then i never would have beleived it but this is what my dreams were made of cheers
ATB TO YOU an your youngest an your wife
from jen an i
chrisb

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
@boatman Chris, your build is getting some attention and I've had a request for you to build a ship for a potential buyer, pending price... as always!
Are you interested?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
@boatman Chris, your build is getting some attention and I've had a request for you to build a ship for a potential buyer, pending price... as always!
Are you interested?
HI Lee very sorry but no as ive had others wanting me to build them ships but when i say it may take a couple of yrs or more an its impossible to put on a price of a model till its built an they shy away an dont want to pay so ive always refused SORRY BUT NO
chrisb

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
HI Lee very sorry but no as ive had others wanting me to build them ships but when i say it may take a couple of yrs or more an its impossible to put on a price of a model till its built an they shy away an dont want to pay so ive always refused SORRY BUT NO
chrisb
Chris I fully understand mate, perfection takes time and something that big... yeah, enough said!
Not a problem I'll let the guy know, cheers mate

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well said Chris, I'm sure you're right to decline the contract. Your 4 years work on Tiger should be worth something well into 5 figures, even without the parts and materials. Also when someone's paying you, the hobby turns into work, which of course is not so much fun!
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well said Chris, I'm sure you're right to decline the contract. Your 4 years work on Tiger should be worth something well into 5 figures, even without the parts and materials. Also when someone's paying you, the hobby turns into work, which of course is not so much fun!
Pete
yes Pete you are right i do modeling for a hobby an always have done but when it turns into work then i wont enjoy it an then its a big nouse around my neck as ive seen another chap yrs ago build a ship on commishion i think it was an he had no end of trouble with the person sayin the model was not detailed enough an i just listened an it was not a very happy ending im sad to say but glad it wasnt me
chrisb

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I sold a 1/72 model Seahawk on ebay a while back, and somebody asked me to build him a 1/48 one. He wanted to pay me £50, including the price of the kit! A Trumpeter kit is about £34, so he thought £16 a fair price for the work of building it. Oh, and he expected me to pay for posting it to him!
Pete

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jesus, that’s big!
What can I say that hasn’t already been said? An absolutely outstanding build - impressive in every way!
Congrats Chris she’s a beauty!
Cheers
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I sold a 1/72 model Seahawk on ebay a while back, and somebody asked me to build him a 1/48 one. He wanted to pay me £50, including the price of the kit! A Trumpeter kit is about £34, so he thought £16 a fair price for the work of building it. Oh, and he expected me to pay for posting it to him!
Pete
BLIMEY Pete he dint want much then cheeky bu**er these people just dont understand how much work goes into a model as i was at a grt yarmouth model show some yrs ago an i put my HMS CAMPBELTOWN TYPE 22 FRIGATE at 7ft 3inches long in 1/72 scale with a lot of R/C workin feature just like my tiger an she was on show an jen an i was talkin to the general public about the model an we had a fairly well off couple come up as all the gold necklases around his wife neck came up an said oh we really love your ship an would i sell it to them well i like to hold a fair price but i wont do anyone an i was ready to sell her as i needed the room for my next build an i said well there is a fair amount of moneyies worth in the ship an they said oh well how about 200 pound then an well i wont say what i an jen said to them but i think they got the message lol AS I SAID PETE most people havnt got any idea of what it takes to build these models as i think they think they are toys
Chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Jesus, that’s big!
What can I say that hasn’t already been said? An absolutely outstanding build - impressive in every way!
Congrats Chris she’s a beauty!
Cheers
Paul
HI Paul yes she is a biggee an cheers for nice comments an as she is a biggee thats partly why im a bit worryied getting her to the pond whole
chrisb

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Congratulations Chris, what an outstanding result!!
You must be very pleased, but also a little relieved to be finished, Tiger is looking fantastic.
Maybe I'll get that good in time, not that I think I have another 30 odd years left in me though :smiling:
I hope that your official launch goes to plan, and you have many happy hours sailing her.
ATB
Garry

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Congratulations Chris, what an outstanding result!!
You must be very pleased, but also a little relieved to be finished, Tiger is looking fantastic.
Maybe I'll get that good in time, not that I think I have another 30 odd years left in me though :smiling:
I hope that your official launch goes to plan, and you have many happy hours sailing her.
ATB
Garry
HI Garry cheers for your nice comments an yes i was pleased with her but yesterday i had a new boaty freind an his wife come to see tiger as he has never seen her altogeather an he asked to see it all goin as he was flabergasted at the gun sound an the leds all flashin in the guns well all good an well till i tried the engines an i have now that motor probs back again as ive havnt run them since xmas an the rear motors went great but the ones where i had probs before would not work so today i will have to try an find out what the trouble is as i think it maybe be damp has gotten into the ESC that controlls them back motors an i think i may buy some more powerfull motors as i dont think these johnsons motors are up to job but hope fully i'll sort out the probs even if i have to strip out the motors wirein an the ESC an try another one in as these motors have been the really only problem on an off so will run some tests today Aaaaaccccccc there is always one isnt there
an Garry you have surpriced me on how far you have gotten on your I/D for a rookie your build is amazeing to me WOW
ATB
Chrisb

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I know what you mean Chris, I assembled ID today to test everything again, and the SS lights wouldn't work.
After piddling around a bit I found that the plug was not pushed in properly, user error. It's all working fine now.
If the weather is good on Sunday I may take ID to the lake and give her a sea trial, fingers crossed.
I will prep her up on Saturday in the hope of good weather.
She's not completed yet, but I want to test her out and make sure she is stable and seaworthy.
I'll let you know how it goes, if it happens that is.
I would change the motors, the Tamiya/Johnson ones I had were no good, so I changed them out for bigger ones.
ATB
Garry

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I know what you mean Chris, I assembled ID today to test everything again, and the SS lights wouldn't work.
After piddling around a bit I found that the plug was not pushed in properly, user error. It's all working fine now.
If the weather is good on Sunday I may take ID to the lake and give her a sea trial, fingers crossed.
I will prep her up on Saturday in the hope of good weather.
She's not completed yet, but I want to test her out and make sure she is stable and seaworthy.
I'll let you know how it goes, if it happens that is.
I would change the motors, the Tamiya/Johnson ones I had were no good, so I changed them out for bigger ones.
ATB
Garry
AN HI AGAIN Garry yes these probs seem to pop up just when you dont exspect them to an im glad you found out what your prob was an it all now goin ok brilliant but ive yet to have a look at mine in tiger as i cant touch it yet as im waiting for the big batt to charge up an that should be done by about 2pm an ive also got to go an get jen as she is at the moment havin a look around the shops in north walsham as got to keep the boss happy dont we ? so i'll have a look at my prob this afternoon an yes i hope your sea trails go ok an could we have some pics of her makin knotts as PaulE says lol
ATB
Chrisb

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Chris,
Absolutely outstanding my friend. It has been a pleasure to follow this build and watch you overcome and engineer solutions along the way. You should be very proud of what you have achieved and a well done to Jen for putting up with it all ;) .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Absolutely outstanding my friend. It has been a pleasure to follow this build and watch you overcome and engineer solutions along the way. You should be very proud of what you have achieved and a well done to Jen for putting up with it all ;) .
HI Scottie my freind im very glad you have enjoyed the tiger build an things gettin overcome but im back with them duff motors the one that played up before an this afternoon i done some tests on them johnson motors nearest to the hull jiont an when i wriggled the terminals on the motors when i did get them goin they start an stop so i think its them what are the prob as the rear johnsons nearest the rudder go great no probs with them so back to the problem motors i took them out an now ive replaced them with more beefyier grupner 600 motors so will see tomorrow how they go as i will have to make up a new wirein harness as the old ones terminals wont fit so more work but i had them both runnin tonight an they put the wind up me an blew a 15 amp fuse in a flash as god there is some currunt running through them groupners 600 so see what happens tomorrow but i think im gettin there
ATB
chrisb