Boatmans 1/72 nd scale HMS Tiger C20

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well i found out at last what caused my motors probs an all it was was a lose connection on the cut off switch that is located under the flight deck so i can sail on just two motors rather than four motors but to look at it looks ok but when i tested just the front motors that have been a prob for months as i kept thinkin it was the esc but no i stripped all the wirein out an really went to town on it all an got the circut tester out an tested all 12 wires an fuses an they all checked out ok so i was at a loss the only way i found it was as i was running them motors as they were cutting in an out an i just happend to look under the flight deck to see sparks flashin on an off so went straight to this an fixed it by nippin up the shovel connector well if i have that prob again i will know where to look now Aaaaaaccccgggg my fault for not checkin this DUH
Chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Even at this stage you're sorting out problems. Well done.
HI JIM yes still sorting that prob as i think i need a heavduty switch as treid it again an yes all 4 motor ran ok for a few minutes then the front one cut out again an i think it the cutoff switch is sort of made of a hard plastic but as there is a heck of a currant running through it i think it is melting inside the switch so im now just fittin on a new switch to see if that helps if not i'll have to have a look on ebay for a really heavyduty switch an try that an failin that then i'll do away with the cutoff switch an run my wires straight from the fusebox to the ESC AN TRY THAT
ATB
chrib

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well this modeling is getting dangerous as had the below happen today while tryin to sort out motor probs an i doubt that tiger will sail this year as now got to buy a new ESC
an distater today as had motor probs on my tiger an ive found it a combination of probs but i fitted new more powerfull motors today an wow yes they were so power full that this modelin is gettin dangerous as the ESC i fitted in today went into overun an one of the new motors screamed at their top speed an broke free of its mounting takien them with it an just missin me an pushin the prop shaft back in its tube by a qaurter of an inch an it hit the wall WOW so i doubt that tiger will sail this yr as now got to buy another new ESC but ive hopefully managed to fix it all the motor an such all back in but talk about put the wind up me Aaaaaaaccccccchhhhh but ive never had this problem before on my nimitz as that hat 4 motors in it an they all worked great an im still shaken up WOW but will have to leave it a couple of days now for the motor mounts to glue back in hard wow what a lesson learned

chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Whoa Chris that's a big set back. So sorry for you. You get in sight of the slipway and boom!! The Tiger bites back!!
If it's any consolation. It happens in the real world too!! I was on a Tribal Class Frigate when a loud bang - smoke from uptakes, (that's funnel to the landlubbers), and a horrendous vibration aft!! I mean horrendous!! Transpired the main shaft had tore the bearings from its mount!!! It was enough for the ship to limp back to the UK from Gibraltar and never be operational again!! Sat in the basin at Chatham until she was decommissioned!!!!
Have a few days, sink, (oops bad pun), a few rums/gin/Pimms or whatever and forget for a week!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wow Chris you had a narrow escape. Hope it gets resolved soon
HI MICK yes boy that motor was travelin just as well i dint hit me in the face but it chipped the wall an put the bejesus up me i had to sit a spell from the shock but that flamein ESC IN COMIN OUT AN GOIN IN THE BIN
so another set back Aaaaaaccchhhhhhhhhhhhh
HOPE YOU ARE WELL
CHRISB

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Glad you're ok Chris. Very frightening and the delay in launching is frustrating. I know you'll get it sorted so good luck.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Whoa Chris that's a big set back. So sorry for you. You get in sight of the slipway and boom!! The Tiger bites back!!
If it's any consolation. It happens in the real world too!! I was on a Tribal Class Frigate when a loud bang - smoke from uptakes, (that's funnel to the landlubbers), and a horrendous vibration aft!! I mean horrendous!! Transpired the main shaft had tore the bearings from its mount!!! It was enough for the ship to limp back to the UK from Gibraltar and never be operational again!! Sat in the basin at Chatham until she was decommissioned!!!!
Have a few days, sink, (oops bad pun), a few rums/gin/Pimms or whatever and forget for a week!!
AN HI Doug yes its a big set back as ive never had this trouble on my big nimitz carrier as that had 4 motors in an it all went perfect an she sailed perfect for 3 yrs till i sold her but im glad when that motor flew out that it hasnt damaged the hull bottom an yes tiger is bitein back an im gettin very weary of this eletric problem as the back motors run great its ont the front lot that have given trouble which i thought id fixed so will have to wait two days now till the glue goes off to hold the motor in place again but god there was som force there an its broke a grp mountin in thr hull an pushed the prop sharft back down the hull by a qauter of an inch but hope its all ok an that ESC in goin in the bin an if that happed to a real ship at least i can say what happened was realistic lol but im still shook up
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just out of curiosity, what is an ESC?
Doug it a ELETRONIC SPEED CONTROLL UNIT so ESC for short that controlls the speed of the motors from my R/C but this one went amok to full speed without me doin it
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Glad you're ok Chris. Very frightening and the delay in launching is frustrating. I know you'll get it sorted so good luck.
HI JIM YES ive never had that happen before as the power goin throught it was mazzive but it dint blow a 30 amp fuse which it should have done so im gointo be wary now an stand well back went i open up the throttles on the four motors an yes i hope i do as its very frustraetin for me
an hope you are well
chrisb

• Wow
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris glad you ok and didn't get hit .
So sorry to read your post , and right at the last post .
You'll bounce back mate .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris glad you ok and didn't get hit .
So sorry to read your post , and right at the last post .
You'll bounce back mate .
HI John yes i hope i do as up to now i thought this motor problem was licked but just goes to show how wrong i can be but im glad it dint damege the hull bottom

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL WELL had nightmares last night of that motor flyin out Aaaaaacccchhhhhh but ive been thinking of a way to get round the problem as i cant get another 30 amp eletronise ESC as they dont make them any more an the other eletronise ESC X2 I HAVE are only up to 15 amp unit so no good tryin to use them as it would just blow the fuse or the ESC as what i need is another
30 amp eletronise ESC as i like to keep to the same voltage as the one that goes good on the rear motors. So havin a think i think i'll take the 30 amp ELETRONISE ESC out of my norfolk an fit in tiger an that should do it as thats a good unit so then i'll have two good ESC in tiger an then get back to launchin her an norfolk i will buy a new ESC an put it in her so things should balance out WELL THATS MY THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT just got to hope the eletrics then will behave them selves then
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Doug it a ELETRONIC SPEED CONTROLL UNIT so ESC for short that controlls the speed of the motors from my R/C but this one went amok to full speed without me doin it
chrisb
That’s why I ask. I was thinking Electrical Safety Circuit or similar.
By the way, are motors powering individual shafts?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That’s why I ask. I was thinking Electrical Safety Circuit or similar.
By the way, are motors powering individual shafts?
HI Doug each in pic is how this is laid out an yes the motors are on their own prop shaft an here you can see some small ESC an they are rated at 40 amps EACH but these played up as i dont think they were man enough to handle the currant goin through them so i took them out an fitted in the good 30amp eletronise ESC which is really good but the other is not the same an thats why im thinkin of takin the 30amp one out of my norfolk so i have a good pair an then buyin a new ESC to fit in norfolk so hope my idea work but cant do it till after 23rd of aprill as all the guys up norwich boatin pond are havein a garla day an they asked me to bring up my norfolk for the day
chrisbIMG_6403.JPG

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
HI Doug each in pic is how this is laid out an yes the motors are on their own prop shaft an here you can see some small ESC an they are rated at 40 amps EACH but these played up as i dont think they were man enough to handle the currant goin through them so i took them out an fitted in the good 30amp eletronise ESC which is really good but the other is not the same an thats why im thinkin of takin the 30amp one out of my norfolk so i have a good pair an then buyin a new ESC to fit in norfolk so hope my idea work but cant do it till after 23rd of aprill as all the guys up norwich boatin pond are havein a garla day an they asked me to bring up my norfolk for the day
chrisbView attachment 479391
That almost looks like the inside of a Sunseekers floating gin palace!!! But seriously, nice and tidy. What is the inside! Painted, fibreglassed and painted?
Another question. Are the motors on the bottom of the hull. (Bilges). If so, what if you did get water ingress, would that short them or are they water tolerant. (You can tell I know nothing about replica's).

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That almost looks like the inside of a Sunseekers floating gin palace!!! But seriously, nice and tidy. What is the inside! Painted, fibreglassed and painted?
Another question. Are the motors on the bottom of the hull. (Bilges). If so, what if you did get water ingress, would that short them or are they water tolerant. (You can tell I know nothing about replica's).
WELL Doug yes the insides of the hull is white gloss paint over F/G mattin as when painted in white its easy to see if a wire has come adrift or any thing eles that not suppose to be in there like lose screw or such
an its also easy to spot if a crack appears in the hull as i build mine strong but it can happen an no the motors an eletrics are mounted up on half an inch of wood mounts hows that eh does that answer your qurstion s Doug ?
chrisb