Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN a pic here of how thin my new tomcat wingtip is at where the nav led will fit an its 2 mm but i have an idea formin in the old fossilied grey matter lol an today will have a go at seein if it will work an those who take modelin really serious dont look lol an a shot below this pic of the whole top part of starboard wing IMG_8752.JPGIMG_8753.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great stuff here Chris. You just can't resist making life harder for yourself by including lights. It will make a cracking model.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Great stuff here Chris. You just can't resist making life harder for yourself by including lights. It will make a cracking model.
HI Jim cheers for your nice comment an yes life of a workin modeler is hard lol but i love the challenge s they throw at me but thats how the models wing tip is so just got to use up a bit of thought on how to get this nav light fitted in an workin an yes not goin to be easy but i think my idea will work just got to plan ahead like i do on all my models
CHEERS Jim ATB
Chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI James an all you guys well my last lot of blue leds have finally come an made a start today on the big cats wing nav lights will post some pics when there is some worth seein
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
WELL HI again Jakko an many thanks for your answer on the canopy seam but i just havnt got the confidence to do the seam as i will only bugger it up an spoil the model as guys like you have the knowagle on how to do it but i havnt a clue but OK say i was to try it what stuff would i need a list please below if poss ?
chrisb
1. A sharp flat blade.
2. A fine sanding stick.
3. Some wet and dry paper. 2000. 4000 and 6000 or even finer.
4. Some soft plasticine.

Form the soft plasticine and carefully push into the inside of the canopy to support it and make it easier to hold.

Carefully scrape the raised part of the seam away just shy of the surface.
Reduce the rest with light strokes with the finest sanding sticks you have. If you make it a tiny bit flat, that will go away again.
Warm soapy water and a firm sponge. Wrap the wet and dry around the sponge wet it well and gently smooth the area with ever finer grades of wet and dry.
You can finish with right down to 12000 grit.

Micromesh make a polishing set with various grades of abrasive cloth and a rubber block. John has then in the shop I think.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
1. A sharp flat blade.
2. A fine sanding stick.
3. Some wet and dry paper. 2000. 4000 and 6000 or even finer.
4. Some soft plasticine.

Form the soft plasticine and carefully push into the inside of the canopy to support it and make it easier to hold.

Carefully scrape the raised part of the seam away just shy of the surface.
Reduce the rest with light strokes with the finest sanding sticks you have. If you make it a tiny bit flat, that will go away again.
Warm soapy water and a firm sponge. Wrap the wet and dry around the sponge wet it well and gently smooth the area with ever finer grades of wet and dry.
You can finish with right down to 12000 grit.

Micromesh make a polishing set with various grades of abrasive cloth and a rubber block. John has then in the shop I think.
many thanks Ian but i have not got the confidence to do it as i get the shakes now so will leave that canopy alone but thanks for takin the time to reply SIR
Chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
many thanks Ian but i have not got the confidence to do it as i get the shakes now so will leave that canopy alone but thanks for takin the time to reply SIR
Chrisb
After the fine work you did in Tiger!!! That surprises me Chis.
When the shakes start - you stop then go back when you’re happy to continue.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
After the fine work you did in Tiger!!! That surprises me Chis.
When the shakes start - you stop then go back when you’re happy to continue.
HI Doug wish it was that simple yes i only get the shakes when im tryin to hard as thats how i am but normally im ok so today im just goin to try an fit in a blue 2mm nav led in the wing tip but again hope i dont get the shakes as i will only have one chance of gettin it right so a bit of practiceing firstly an that canopy i will leave well alone an hope it dont notices too much lol
Chrisb

Reactions: JR

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
OH YOU ninny Gern that will be plugged into wall socket lol as the plugs in the plane will be mini plugs so its all under controll just keep watchin Gern an learn lol
chrisb
So you will be taking the wall to the comps as well so you can plug the plug in - here we go again :rolling:

Looking forward to the lesson on LED's and of course the build.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
So you will be taking the wall to the comps as well so you can plug the plug in - here we go again :rolling:

Looking forward to the lesson on LED's and of course the build.
HI Mike when i take models to show they always ask if i want an eletric point so not takin my wall to shows as i dont want house to fall down lols
so i use their walls eletric sockets lol an i now dont take part in comps as i have won quite a few trophies an cups an such but have thrown them away as gettin a bit clutered up not bein big headed just fact an still got some cups an trophyies that have not thrown out as for my nimitz alone got 3 trophyies an have kept them as the model was special to me an you lookin forward to how i fit in leds in my models well i'll try an exsplain but im not that great a moddler as i think james an his tomcat have been built better than i can do but will see how the build goes an today im fittin in a 2mm blue led in the tomcats wingtip but very awkward as it so thin only 2mm an the led is about 2mm so goin to be touch an go if i dont get the shakes but thank for lookin in an hope you enjoy the build
ATB SIR
Chrisb

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
i remember buying that book when it first came out, along with the Warthog book.
HI Steve yes it a very good book but pity it dont show a few more pics of what the avionics under the covers
chrisb

Sorry Chris, I lost the beginning of this endeavour (no, not the ship... :rolling: ;) ) of yours.
I'll follow your magic with interest.
AN glad you are along for the build Andy hope i dont dissappoint you
chrisb

AN HI GUYS well today i done 3 hrs work burein it out for a channell to take the led wires on that starboard wing to fit in the blue nav light an 1 hr tryin to glue the led to the glass nav lence god im shattered now nerves at breakin point an got the shakes but i have done what i set set out to achieve an first pic is where ive been burein out plastic in the very thin wing tip to take the wires for that 2mm led an i had to be very carefull doin this as i dint want to heat up the wing plastic as cause damage to the wing bottom IMG_8776.JPG

an a shot of the outer side of the wing to show i dint go right through as it was so thin IMG_8774.JPG

an here a shot of gluein the blue 2mm led to the back of the nav lence as ive done it like this so when i cut it of the glass sprues it wont go flyin into the ether to the carpet monster as i will be able to hold it by the wires an it will also help me to postion it when i come to glue it to the wing slot IMG_8779.JPG

AN THE BLUE LED works great it not as bright as this in real but my camera over exsposes the light an more pics tomorrow when ive recovered an calmed down a bit as i had 7 tries to get that led to glue to that nav lences as jen came up to model room to see i if i want help but thankfully i just managed on my own but had it not stuck on the 8th go then i would have asked for her help anyway the nice blue light workin next tomorrow to glue it in place an fix the twin wires in place in the wing
chrisb shattered lolIMG_8778.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Love the lights Chris, hope I said I would follow

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work on the lights Chris. A 1/32 Tomcat is going to be one BIG model when complete.
Looking forward to the progress.
Cheers
Paul

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry Chris....missed the start of this. This will look amazing once done!

ATB

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well im shattered again an now havin a rest but ive acheived what i wanted to do regards fittin that blue nav light in the wing an got a little shakes but jen bought me up some biccies an a nice cuppa an it calmed me down so the nav light is now fitted in the wing thank goodness its not brilliant an i think its a bit of a pigs ears build as im out of pracktice build plane kits but once the little bit of filler is sanded down an the clearlence is painted tamyia clear blue should look acceptable anyway first pic is where its just gleuded in place IMG_8791.JPG

an 2nd pic ive gluded in place the resistors so they wont move around in the wing an break the hair thin wires IMG_8792.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN YES THE NAV light works ok an ive stuck a bit of sellotape an glue to hold the wires in place when wing completely glued will sand it down lighty an then paint it tamya clear blue over the clear lence an tidy it up
IMG_8793.JPG