Boatmans Super Tomcat F14D Build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well it was a battle to get this kit to fit togeather as been doin more filein an even some cuttin but this kit IMG_8957.JPG has put up a fight but its goin togeather wheather it likes it or not lol an here some pics with the radar an both nose sections now gluded togeather in MHOP i think trumpy have made this kit to complex an the bits not fittin an i could not fit the gatlin gun if i had just left how they made the covers as they needed a lot of grindin out to get it to fit over the gun oh boy nose cameras fitted with red flashin anti collishion light fitted in

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Your doing a great job.
THANK Scottie yes this bloomin kit is puttin up a fight but i think im winning
Looking really good to me as an aircraft dumbell but the detail and painting look first class.
AN thank you too Stefee dont know what you mean by a dumbell ? but cheers on your comment about the detail an painting an should look fairly good if i can fit a tiny hinge in the nose so the nose can be lifted up to show the radar off

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I mean I am as knowledgeable as a dumbell about anything that flies and how they are built.
OH i see Stefee well aircraft an warships have always been my main hobby over the last 60 yrs so i know a bit about both subject but not a lot lol but why dont you get a small plane an give it a try you may like it
ATB SIR

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
More great work Chris
HI Mick thanks yes the cat is comin on but i only hope the rest of the fusalrge is an easyier build as im hopein to fit a tiny hinge on the nose cone an fix to the fusalge so it can be lifted up to show that nice radar scanner but just holdin the nose cone near the radar to me the scanner looks too big to fit inside the nose cone if so then more fit probs as i think trumpy made it to be gluded in up postion if radar is fitted but if i want the nose cone in down postion then the radar cant be fitted just like the gatlin gun an if thats the case then i'll have to unclip the radar scanner an take it off an trim it down to a size where it will fit in the nose cone Aaaarrrgggg but im doin this today so will find out by tonight
ATB Mick

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've just run through your thread from start to end. What a journey, she's a big old bird. Very interesting with all the electrics.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I've just run through your thread from start to end. What a journey, she's a big old bird. Very interesting with all the electrics.
HI Colin well the journey is still ongoin by along way yet an yes the eletrics adds that bit extra for this build an hope you enjoyed the journey sir

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
hello chaps well im still strugglein on this model but one surprise the radar scanner did fit inside the nose cone as to me i looked to big so i just unclipped the radar scanner so it would be easyier to fit the nose cone hinge as i wanted it to be able to be rasied or in down position so radar can be seen so started to try an fit the small hinge an it was a total failure an it was fitted on the huh an it broke off easy while tryin to raise the nose cone an still more failures to come little did i know an jen was helpin me but again failure an she said give it up as im goin to to put the tea on so i was on my own again so i cleaned all areas up that had super glue on them an picked out a new hinge an start again any way terribble pic of fittin the hinge on the nose my worst work ever but i was learning how not to do it Aaaarrgghh an only a small thumb nail pics as not worth goin to full size

Attachments

• IMG_8962.JPG
    IMG_8962.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SO on the 5th attempt i went about fittin the hinge in a different way an with some new industrail super glue an this seemed to hold but i wasnt countin my chickens yet an i left it for an hr hopein this glue would hold the hinge in place when tryin to open the nose cone an i thought it would be nice to have a nice black nose cone so sprayed it in satin black an left it for a couple of hrs as i was gettin tired IMG_8965.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an when i felt better i went up to cave an had a look at what i had got an it looked reasonable so now for the 64000 dollar question will the nose cone be able to raise up an down an yes it did but only about 70% of nose up as the hinge was very tight against the fusalarge so its a partishall sucsses but now the radar should be able to be seen so im goin to fit the radar back on an call it quits an leave it while im ahead IMG_8964.JPGlol

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You are doing a knockout of a job on this one Chris such a big challenge that you took on and you are mastering it well done

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You are doing a knockout of a job on this one Chris such a big challenge that you took on and you are mastering it well done
HI Joe cheers yes its a big challage allright but i love it on a big model provided it goes right but i must admit when the hinge failed the second time i began to have my doubts eps when jen said give it up an just glue the nose on but a stubbonese rises up in me to think well its possible why wont my idea work so jen when down stairs to cook the tea but i thought well ive done more difficult things than a simple hinge fit whats goin wrong an it was the :poop: super glue i was usein dint have no holdin power so hunted for that industrial super glue on 5th atempt an im pleased to say thing went better then but jen says im stubbon as i dont like anyting to beat me as if it does happen i just down an think through what im doin wrong an most times a solution pops up lol
ATB Joe an thanks for stoppin an you puttin on a post i like that as sometime i get a hint from someone what i am doin wrong as we all are learning all our lives eant we

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Got to agree with Joe great work.
AN hi Scottie pleased you guys like my modelin but today im askin jen to hold the fusalrge upside down so i can open the nose cone to just clip the radar back into positon an then try it to see if the nose cone will miss the radar scanner when i attempt to open it an close so wheather trumpy has allowed for this to happen when they made the kit i will find out as the scanner will tilt down an up to hopefully allow the nose cone to open an close but im doubtfull as like on the gatlin gun covers they were not made to fit over the gun as to thick so i had to do quite a bit of grindin out of the plastic to get it to fit as like i think it was barry when he built his bomb cat he thinks they made the kit parts to be glued in their open poshtin if gun fitted an no gun fitted if you want to closeup the panel cover an i dont think they thought anyone would be crazy enough to whant the best of both worlds lol
but i suppoce im crazy enough lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Welll here again guys an treid out that nose cone fittin over the radar when i fitted it an here the radar is fitted on an it is fitted on a sveill so it can move up an down in pic an yes there is a bit of black to touch up as when i sprayed it as the nose cameras got in the way IMG_8966.JPG