Brian's 1/100 HMS Victory

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Obviously not a sailor!! I joined and was sent to HMS Ganges - part of the training was to get to the first yard, 65 feet, and then over the devils elbow!! Where you go outboard on the rigging to get to the second yardarm!! Pretty scary S*** I can tell you!!
Ganges Mast
Ganges Mast.jpeg
Spare a thought for the button boy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking great Brian. That deck, poor fit or not, has lifted her another notch.
Oh, and when looking at the Ganges mast, remember that one is fixed. At sea Victory’s masts would be moving in all three planes (pitch, yaw and roll) as well as going up and down….and the top men would be working hauling in sails or ropes at the same time. Not at all the same as standing there trying to look pretty LOL.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking great Brian. That deck, poor fit or not, has lifted her another notch.
Oh, and when looking at the Ganges mast, remember that one is fixed. At sea Victory’s masts would be moving in all three planes (pitch, yaw and roll) as well as going up and down….and the top men would be working hauling in sails or ropes at the same time. Not at all the same as standing there trying to look pretty LOL.
Obviously never been up the Ganges Mast then Tim. I appreciate it's not fixed but it does move and quite significantly. ;)
Something I learned about vessels the like of Victory, Masters would have the masts orientation moved so as to trim the vessel when under sail. The masters would angle the masts fore or aft dependant on how they wanted the vessel trimmed. (Wedges in the base of the mast root I believe).

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Waspie

You're right about the small adjustments to the masts, The hole in the deck which the mast goes through is called the partners, and by loosening or tightening wedges around the partners the mast could be adjusted. The shrouds could also be tightened or loosened (Rattled down) to stiffen the mast. Typically in a strong blow the weather shrouds would be tightened and the lee shrouds slackened a bit to bend the mast into the wind. It was also the job of the quartermaster (sailing master) to ensure that there were no sharp movements in the vessel, as far as possible, while hands were out on the yards.

John

PS Brian its looking very nice with the new deck. I hope you have left enough access to get the shot garlands filled in the lower deck. That is putting the round shot into each of the little holes around the lower deck gratings.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Waspie

You're right about the small adjustments to the masts, The hole in the deck which the mast goes through is called the partners, and by loosening or tightening wedges around the partners the mast could be adjusted. The shrouds could also be tightened or loosened (Rattled down) to stiffen the mast. Typically in a strong blow the weather shrouds would be tightened and the lee shrouds slackened a bit to bend the mast into the wind. It was also the job of the quartermaster (sailing master) to ensure that there were no sharp movements in the vessel, as far as possible, while hands were out on the yards.

John

PS Brian its looking very nice with the new deck. I hope you have left enough access to get the shot garlands filled in the lower deck. That is putting the round shot into each of the little holes around the lower deck gratings.
Thank you John, that's a better explanation than the one I read. All this seamanship stuff has made me want to search the loft for my old seamanship manual!! (Being FAA it was of little interest then, starting to get a feel for the sailing ships). Just transferred some Patrick O'Brian books to my Kindle!!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thank you John, that's a better explanation than the one I read. All this seamanship stuff has made me want to search the loft for my old seamanship manual!! (Being FAA it was of little interest then, starting to get a feel for the sailing ships). Just transferred some Patrick O'Brian books to my Kindle!!!
You’ll like the Obrians, they are excellent reading.

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Brian its looking very nice with the new deck. I hope you have left enough access to get the shot garlands filled in the lower deck. That is putting the round shot into each of the little holes around the lower deck gratings.
Yes John I can get them in no problem

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It was very interesting to read about the masts being trimmed. I thought they were just fixed solidly to take the strain on them caused by full sail or the pitch of the ship.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The O'Brien series is excellent and another one is the Julian Stockwin series about Sir Thomas Kydd. Similar to Capt Aubrey but I think the series is a little longer.

John

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Brian. Nice to see the shot going in :thumb2: The colour of the part on the painting stand looks closer to me, on my IPad at least. The other one is too pastel looking.