Build ideas for the 2014 Group Builds.

C

CDW

Building your own home could pose problems if you live in a flat or in a terrace row ...do you do the whole thing or just cut your part out and build that? Can you see my point?

Being realistic I could throw together the whole terrace row of 4 where I live in a few days as they're pretty basic shape and covered in harling ..not a massive challenge.

I was thinking more in line of churches, castles, cathedrals, palaces etc.

P

Polux

- Hydroplanes (landing in the water)

- The winter camoflauge (all kind of vehicles)

First Name
Dave
How about Fleet Air Arm aircraft,if its not been done before.Could be WW2,post WW2 or both.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Building your own home could pose problems if you live in a flat or in a terrace row ...do you do the whole thing or just cut your part out and build that? Can you see my point?Being realistic I could throw together the whole terrace row of 4 where I live in a few days as they're pretty basic shape and covered in harling ..not a massive challenge.

I was thinking more in line of churches, castles, cathedrals, palaces etc.
Good point I didn't think of that.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
- Hydroplanes (landing in the water)- The winter camoflauge (all kind of vehicles)
You mean float planes I guess.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
How about Fleet Air Arm aircraft,if its not been done before.Could be WW2,post WW2 or both.
That would be a great SIG and also a darn good GB. (OK I'm slightly bias...)

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Here is the list so far.

D-Day: Any thing that took part in D-Day land sea air…

Arnhem: Go Dutch

The Great War: Horses, bi-planes, buildings… scratch..dio..figures every thing WWI

That wasn’t in the box!: Build a kit but convert it to some thing else, anything Aircraft, armour. Even a figure…?

Build a building: House, hotel California, colditz the local church four walls and a roof and your good.

Maintainence: Things break down and need repairing. All kinds of thing’s….

War horse/peace horse: On, behind, in front, behind a horse.

Historical figure or bust: There must be a few to chose from…

Any chance of a lift: Anything that has a crane on it. The crane being the point of the vehicle.

Underground: London underground. Viet nam down a pot hole, in a tunnel.

The resistance: I vil say sis only wonce…

An Ugly bird: An ugly aircraft but it works….define ugly!

A brail scale battle: Max scale 1/72. A diorama for the smaller work top.

I'm a Movie car: An actual car that has been a movie star. (so no batmobils)!

Japanese aircraft of WWII: Bonzaiiiiiiiiiii whoops I mean Banziiiiiiiiiiii

Elite soldiers: SAS SBS Para's, commandos etc

Railway: As in on rails, trains and rolling stock . An armoured wagon ok. Railway gun NO

We are sailing….: A boat with sails, maybe even a row boat ?

Float planes: Aircraft that can land and take off from the water.

FAA NAS: Fleet Air Arm. Naval Air Service.

Historical weapons: I'm talking ancient hysterical instruments here. Ballista and the like….

Quite some list already and I can see some already that will be worthy Themed Builds, the first three in particular what with it being the anniversary and all that.

There are also some good ones for a sig or two and even a few that give the figure builders a chance to join in and of course others to try their hands at.

So the “so far” list is very diverse.

My goal is to get the final list sorted before December, so if you have any more ideas get them in quick so I can do a bit of moderating.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This new forum don't 'arf bugger formatted text up that was attempt #5!

Ian M

C

CDW

Now that's a list an 'arf .... Excellent diverse topics .... Don't envy the job of getting them in order and sorted calendar wise.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A rally car....stand alone or giving it some welly in the forest etc.

Reactions: CDW

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
With regard to a building ...

Wouldn't it be nice to see a complete one? ie not bombed/shelled to pieces. Not saying it can't be military, just all in one piece.

Gern

PS Forgot to add it shouldn't be old ruins either!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great selection of subjects so far and I'm rather chuffed that some of my suggestions are matched in number with some equally appealling ideas, e.g. Japanese items and aircraft maintenance vehicles. With regard to the buildings idea, I'm pleased to see that this has prompted some response that goes beyond using a building as a scene setter like a ruin or battle damaged shell. You could really go to town on this with a scratch build tower block, street scene or railway station. I confess a conflict of interest here with my interest in railways but the genre is a rich source of subject matter. Goods sheds, bridges, gas holders, warehouses, train sheds and depots, signal boxes etc.

P

Polux

- I, Robot ;)

Imagine and create your robot. Free size and great scratch build possibilities!!

We can do as a "dust-bin" :smiling3: compile former pieces of old kits, metals, sheets of plastic, cables...

Can be a very funny GB

Reactions: CDW

0ne48thtel

What about recon stuff planes armoured vehicles and boats that patrol looking for contraband. Going further out you could have satelites

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
- I, Robot ;) Imagine and create your robot. Free size and great scratch build possibilities!!

We can do as a "dust-bin" :smiling3: compile former pieces of old kits, metals, sheets of plastic, cables...

Can be a very funny GB
Would that include things like the Gundam figures?

Gern

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, next year is 100 years since the start of the Great war. But that's a bit vague. Air, land or sea ?

Another suggestion from me is 'The Harrier' Sadly no longer in the UK skies, many different versions to build and many different model manufactures to chooses from.

P

Polux

\ said:
Would that include things like the Gundam figures?Gern
Not exactly... You can find Gundam comercial kits. You can stole pieces of it or a toy if you want...

I'm talking to start from zero!

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just a few more Ian , - Civil airliners , Racing aircraft , Pre WW1 figure (singular figure , anything nefore 1914 , napoleonic ,Boer , Medieval , samurai etc.) ,Space (real or fiction) , Civilian Car (not racing or rally , customs allowed , in fact encouraged!!) I also want to second a couple of excellent suggestions , Colins 'Harrier' and Poluxs' 'Flying boat/seaplane' . cheers tony