Comet-ed

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I'm really liking these Andy!

The tanks and figures really have turned out nicely, can only imagine what it will look like once finished.

And as for boat.....it floats...so it's a floaty thing!

Keep up the great work!

ATB

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
One of the seated guys is supposed to be wearing a headset but it was ridiculously oversized and didn't survive my attempts to thin it down, so unfortunately he has no ears. Probably a blessing being couped up inside a tank all day :smiling5:
My guess is he lost them the first time he tried to crawl into that hatch he’s sitting in :smiling3:

Thankfully no one has mentioned the mish mash of uniforms either.
That’s not unusual in any army in wartime, especially not if there’s multiple options anyway. Yours all seem to be wearing the denim tank suit:

1810099686.jpg

Just one of them has a leather jerkin over it for warmth.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Tim - my thoughts exactly!

Jakko - the guys in tank 1 appear to be in winter gear. Takes all sorts :smiling3:

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
They look just fine to me Andy. Wouldn't it be a bit boring if they were all dressed the same.
Pete

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks again chaps. I'm flagging a bit with this one so all of your support is really appreciated and will help to keep me going :thumb2:

They scare me too Andy! Maybe if I keep doing them it'll get easier. Exposure therapy do they call it? :smiling5:

I guess so Pete. It's not like they're on parade :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the guys in tank 1 appear to be in winter gear. Takes all sorts :smiling3:
Yes, sorry, I was only talking about the last four you posted. The ones in the other tank are wearing the tank oversuit, commonly called “pixie suit” today but known as “zoot suit” as well during the war:

IMG_9846.jpeg

This is a really nifty piece of kit, what with all those pockets, including an integral revolver pocket and no fewer than 14 pen pockets (!), as well as two zippers from throat to ankle to help get the thing off in case of wounds. But it’s rather heavy and (I expect) not overly comfortable to wear in warm weather, seeing as how it has a fixed lining from what feels like thin blanket material (I’ve examined a real one :smiling3: ).

Anyway, after that RL background, it would be perfectly plausible for crews to wear both around the same time, if the weather isn’t too warm anyway. Those tank suits were popular and widely issued by early 1945, but other ones were also still in use.

Last edited:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Jakko. Good to see the real clothing looks as bland as my rendition of them lol.

Thanks Jim. I've taken a quick detour with a little miniature, to clear my head before I start cracking on with the base.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Love it Andy, nothing wrong with any of it . The leather is top notch , you should be well pleased ( modern speak I'm reliably informed )

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
They scare me too Andy! Maybe if I keep doing them it'll get easier. Exposure therapy do they call it? :smiling5:
I really like animating figures but I really struggled with painting them until comparatively recently. I have certainly found that the more you do the less scary it gets, .
If I compare my work with many of the experts out there it's nowhere near, and I know it's unlikely to get much better; but I have got to the stage where it's good enough for me, and I am content.
I see nothing to be ashamed of with what you have done so far, so have confidence Andy and crack on, we're all looking forward to seeing the finished result!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good to see the real clothing looks as bland as my rendition of them lol.
Of course, a few decades of storing one who-knows-where, definitely not washing it, and the blandness is gone:

IMG_0073.jpeg

This is a real one (produced post-war) that’s in the collection of a museum near where I live. Not sure you’d get away with having your overall look like that in service, though, especially in peacetime :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you Neil, I think that's pretty much where I am. I know there's plenty of room for improvement and my figures will never win a beauty pageant, but they're good enough for me not to be embarrassed :smiling4:

That's a well used overall Jakko!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Andy, really great work and in duplicate. Do not worry about the overalls, ours were the working clothes and both our 'maintenance' overalls and 'Pinky' suits used to get dirty all the time and it was accepted as part of the job especially the front, knee area and elbow along with the backside...

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you Michael.

I'm sure I'll end up splashing a bit of muck & dust around them once I've finalised their positions. Sounds like it'll be fitting.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK, so after a brief distraction I'm back on with this.

I knocked the bridge together today. It's a little bit short but blame Starbucks for that :smiling5: I've no idea what I'm doing but tried to make it look like a bridge whilst keeping it weak enough that I could smash it to pieces. I'm sure it would have more cross bracing in real life but I have plenty of extra stirring sticks timber to add for effect if it needs it.

2023-06-24 15.07.41.jpg

I gave it a few light washes in grey, brown, green & black to give it a bit of colour and also brush painted the base in some "muddy" colours as a foundation.

2023-06-24 17.09.22.jpg

Next job is to smash it to pieces, and thankfully I have the perfect tool for that, my wife! My son & I have banned her from touching any models as she has a knack for breaking anything, so perfect for the job in hand I think.