Comet-ed

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A few more bits done this afternoon like the side skirts and some storage boxes, but the main task was the tow ropes.

Out of the box the tow ropes are moulded complete with their mounting brackets. Ideal if you're portraying them as normal, but if this vehicle is being towed it wouldn't quite make sense!

2023-05-05 17.30.36.jpg

So after a bit of chopping, scraping and sanding we had one of these:

2023-05-05 18.06.28.jpg

Along with filling the mounting holes (I'd missed one in this shot) it looks pretty presentable

2023-05-05 18.07.27.jpg

And with most of the other bits & bobs that go in this area (sorry about the glare)

2023-05-05 20.05.24.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul.

Good to have you along Mike. There's no rush, I think this will be a lengthy one.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Andy.

Hull is finished and I'm on with the turret now. Might have it built by the end of the day, depending how long I nap for... :smiling5:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jack.

I've also left the tools off for now for a similar reason. I'm sure someone would have grabbed a shovel or something in the chaos.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
T
Apart from the tools assembly is complete on the first one, all broken down ready for the wet stuff. I've left the hatches and their liners separate until I decide what's going where.

PXL_20230506_170304203 (1).jpg

The barrel has a hole through it which serves no purpose but perfectly fits a Mark 1 toothpick. I'd love to think someone at Tamiya designed it like that!

PXL_20230506_170357968.jpg

Time to crack open the next one!

As a bit of advice, what other vehicles would be suitable for this scene if I decide to add them? I know the Comet was very late war so not sure if a Universal Carrier or some kind of armoured car would be a good fit? Nothing too large like another tank, but something extra to fill the space and assist in the efforts.

A Dingo?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's a good shout Andy, thanks.

I've done another of their kits fine and my head's screwed on a bit better these days so I'll have a look.

The Miniart Dingo I'm looking at (#35077) seems out of stock everywhere, so it may be the 70's Tamiya!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Most impressed Andy with the fact that all the wheels are able to be removed, a touch of Si Benson there.

Tracks, well apart from Fruils I've never been able to manage them, despite numerous help from other showing me how it's done .
I either have them fall apart when attempting the bend or in rare cases left them far too long before trying to put them on !:loudly-crying:
Having the tape on and leaving after you've wrapped them around is something I shall attempt.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
........despite numerous help from other showing me how it's done .
I either have them fall apart when attempting the bend or in rare cases left them far too long before trying to put them on !:loudly-crying:
.... completely concur.... with BOTH of those scenarios John !!
That's why I like "Rubber band" tracks,( OH,the heresy of that statement ;) ), well,the more recent ones, that is. :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
John, I just need a whole box full of cocktail sticks to mount both sets now :smiling5:

I'm lucky that they were fairly idiot proof really, makes me look better at tracks than I really am lol. The only set I've found easier were on the Takom PL-01 which included a full assembly jig.

Noyhing wrong with rubber band tracks in my eyes Andy. Certainly takes a whole lot of faff out of the build.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
.... completely concur.... with BOTH of those scenarios John !!
That's why I like "Rubber band" tracks,( OH,the heresy of that statement ;) ), well,the more recent ones, that is. :smiling3:
Ooh not alone then Andy, beginning to think I was the only one.
Sorry Andy for the intrusion.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry Andy for the intrusion.
No problem John, I seem to have lost most onlookers already, but I guess it's hard to make building a Tamiya kit sexy enough to draw a crowd. Especially twice :smiling5:

Hull, wheels & tracks are almost complete on no.2 but to add a bit of something extra I had a go at posing one of the side stowage bins open. Due to their construction it meant chopping off the lid, thinning the plastic down and removing the locking bar detail before adding it back in the open position with lead wire.

Nothing sensational but with a small amount of tweaking and little bit of junk inside it might be something else to draw the eye.

2023-05-07 18.29.16.jpg

2023-05-07 18.30.10.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Glad you're still with me Pete. Hopefully things will get a bit more interesting soon :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well it's interesting to me Andy.
The last time I saw one of these in the flesh was at Borden on a recovery training course. It was sunk in a lake well over the towing eyes. Guess who had to go in and fit the winch rope ?:smiling3:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Still looking in Andy, just didn't have much to say.
Pete
Me too Andy.
Don't judge by the number of replies, just check the views. It can be a bit disheartening when few people comment, but it's reassuring to know that they are still interested even if they are not saying anything.
Believe me, when you do a build that lasts more than 2 years and basically involves 17 versions of a figure with the same uniform, it's not surprising people run out of things to say....