Detail decisions?

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
So I just carried out a bit of dry fitting on my me 262 only to realise that some tanks and boxes that I was looking to fit to the inside of the fuselage will never be seen!

What do I do leave them out or put them in?

What do you guys generally do?

Seems pointless to put them in or is it all part of the build?

Cheers

Phil

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It's a personal choice. My personal take would be to put them in. I know they are there even if no-one else does.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
It's a personal choice. My personal take would be to put them in. I know they are there even if no-one else does.
I kind of know where your coming from Dave

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Same with me even though i know they are there i still put them in

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No one but you will ever know..

If I have loads of time, I would put them in, if pushed to start another I would leave all the unseen stuff off.

D

dubster72

Unseen stuff like Dave says gives a warm glow knowing it's there!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Personal decision there Phil, but do you do any scratch building? If so, you might want to keep them for spares.

L

Laurie

I feel I am cheating if I do not put in these unseen pieces.

But they are the pieces of the aircraft or military vehicle etc. When I build something I want to know as much as I can about it.

If it is an engine then I will always remember its size where it is located etc. Same with bomb bays. The interior of a Wellington

was fascinating to build as I understood how the thing was built and layed out internally. Also how the crew were seated in the aircraft.

When I read about a Wellington I can visualize it all.

Laurie

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I just don't buy into this "I'll know it's there" philosophy so I don't bother. Keep the parts for the spares bin and scratch building.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
To each his own, but for my part if it ain't seen it don't get fitted. I don't consider it cheating, just a waste of time, glue and paint.

Just to repeat. That's the way I see it, just me and only me...... :P

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've built a 262 and I did put them in but that was when I had been building like I have to do it but now if you can't see it it doesn't go in or on but its personal choice no Wright or wrong decision, now I think that might come in us full for something else :smiling3:

First Name
Adrian
I did start out about 5 years ago putting everything in place, and saying I know it's there... Now I don't bother like others have said though it's all down to personnel choice.

Adrian

L

Laurie

Just a note of clarification especially as it has been referred to.

I said I felt I was cheating. That referred to me alone and how I felt. It was not a general reference to others what so ever.

Laurie

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Personal decision there Phil, but do you do any scratch building? If so, you might want to keep them for spares.
Just finished my first semi-scratch panel, but would like to do more going forward and leaving them for scratch did cross my mind

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Thanks guys, I guess because I'm just starting out that as Laurie said I personally would feel as if I'm cheating and as Patrick said I feel as though if I did finish the 262 with all the pieces that were hidden I would feel that warm glow inside.

Saying this it literally will not be seen and I will just be giving into my "OCD" tendencies and it may come in handy for scratch on another model down the line.

I'll sleep on it and who knows I might not even tell you guys...

Cheers

Phil

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Thanks guys, I guess because I'm just starting out that as Laurie said I personally would feel as if I'm cheating and as Patrick said I feel as though if I did finish the 262 with all the pieces that were hidden I would feel that warm glow inside.
Saying this it literally will not be seen and I will just be giving into my "OCD" tendencies and it may come in handy for scratch on another model down the line.

I'll sleep on it and who knows I might not even tell you guys...

Cheers

Phil
Or you could lie and say you've put them in lol

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

It is personal choice, but I wouldn't sweat it too much. I usually put stuff in, but for no other reason than just to do it. If I lost the piece, or broke it, or whatever, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

To me, it is the same as getting all bent out of shape if the detail on the bottom of the hull of a tank is not just so, or if there are push-pin marks on the inside of a wing that no one is going to see, or open sponsons on a tank that has all the hatches closed. In the grand scheme of things, when you get done, the model will look awesome and it won't matter.

D

dougie

If I was to think about it, it would come down to how much time and enjoyment I was getting out of a kit.

Having messed my 1st 2 builds up here and there with beginners mistakes- making them take forever to build and having no ideal time for modelling most weeks I'd be weighing it up as I went.