Detail decisions?

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Yep, I agree with that. On WW2 fighters electronic equipment was almost always fairly accessible via a hatch or door. We shouldn't forget that all this type of equipment, from the wireless, to direction finding or navigational aids and stuff like the early landing aids, radar altimeters etc were MUCH less reliable and considerably more fragile than they are today.
Engines were always easily accessible on all fighters as were the weapons and ammunition compartments (though any erk who skinned his knuckles cocking the Brownings in a Spitfire wing might disagree!)

The Germans were quite good at providing good access to systems involved in the control surfaces and even landing gear. They used some very clever fasteners, much superior to the dzuz type fasteners common on British aircraft.

Cheers

Steve
It's interesting to note that dzuz fasteners are still used on some RAF aircraft!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Do they still shake themselves to bits and need drilling out ? :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

That is very interesting detail Steve.

As I am going to build a Tornado GR4 I was looking at detail, by a fluke, this morning. Interested to note a

development in the RAF where they are using 3D modelling. Flaps and bits and pieces of aircraft which are lost

or need replacing are made using 3D on station. Apparently these are made for peanuts compared to factory

replacements. Also you do not produce them until you need them.

The saving so far using this, which is in early stages only used for these bits and pieces, has saved £300,000.

I would imagine this will probably be extended to cars and other items. Very interesting development of 3D which

on first look just looked like a computer media type fun thing.

Laurie

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Do they still shake themselves to bits and need drilling out ? :smiling3:
Cheers

Steve
I never had to drill one out. They buckle on the spring behind or round off. I don't know how common they are on fast junk but they are used on access panels for hydraulic replenishment points, drive shaft fairings and internal panels on Seakings and Puma's. On Nimrod's they are used again on internal panels but also on the ground conditioning panel, radome access panel and other small servicing panels.