Detail decisions?

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Put them in. In model shows and comps, you generally stick in the parts, not seen or not. Those parts will be seen. Although only the rear of it will be seen, judges are incredibly knowledgeable, and it is inevitable that someone will instantly notice it. However, if you are building for enjoyment, and don't really care about those little things of accuracy, go for it, leave them out.

If the manufacturer bothered to make it, I am bothered enough to put it in

When I did my HB 262, I lost one of those parts, and I scratchbuilt it. In the end, it could still be seen, so it was worth it.

Really, it comes down to personal choice and how you really approach your hobby.

John

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
I feel I am cheating if I do not put in these unseen pieces.
But they are the pieces of the aircraft or military vehicle etc. When I build something I want to know as much as I can about it.

If it is an engine then I will always remember its size where it is located etc. Same with bomb bays. The interior of a Wellington

was fascinating to build as I understood how the thing was built and layed out internally. Also how the crew were seated in the aircraft.

When I read about a Wellington I can visualize it all.

Laurie
I really want to build a X section of a wellington or a 262, showing the geodetics or ribbing all scratched. That would look spectacular.

John

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Some parts really are not possible to see if you complete the model closed up. This leads to another conundrum! You can fit those parts and pose the model with the relevant hatches or panels open, allowing them to be seen. You will then find yourself scratch building other bits, wiring, hydraulics etc to make those previously never to be seen parts more realistic.....where does it end? :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Just a note of clarification especially as it has been referred to.
I said I felt I was cheating. That referred to me alone and how I felt. It was not a general reference to others what so ever.

Laurie
Steady on Laurie. You are referring to my post. I never implied it was a 'General reference to others', I was just using cheating as a sort of humorous personal snipe at myself.

Sorry my innocent post has upset you. That was never my intention.

L

Laurie

Steady as I can be Ron.

Although not actually referring to your post in any derogatory manner it did make me wonder.

I thought I may have been misunderstood and as you have stated given the impression that it

was a 'General reference to others',

My innocent post was only to clarify not to grumble. ;) I save that for Pauline-- er no- her for me.o_O Thanks any way fro your kind reply.

Laurie

B

Bunkerbarge

I think it depends on the model and the parts concerned. If the bits were hidden but somehow could be seen if you were small enough or had a camera that went round corners ( don't forget looking through windows) then I would fit them. If they are in a completely enclosed space I defenately wouldn't bother but I also consider how valuable the parts may be in the 'bit bin' for future projects. Imagine the value of a bomber radio set in a crash landing diorama for instance that couldn't be seen inside anyway.

I actually think a lot of hidden bits are included in kits to give you the option of having things opened up and visible. If you are certain that you want it closed up then don't bother. For instance what would be the point in building the new Airfix Typhoon with all the engine and gun bay details if you were going to display it in flight.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Quite right. I do like to pose the odd aeroplane model in flight and taking the engine as an example, I only put in what I have to for attaching the exhausts and spinner. Sometimes that can be nothing except some card, sometimes the bare bones of the engine assembly. As I will then glue the panels closed it really would be a waste of time to do any more...and those odd bits can come in handy!

I do attach hard to see parts. On most WW2 model aircraft something like the rudder pedals would be one of many parts that would fall into this category. They can usually be seen by a determined person with a torch and at least one person has looked at some of my models in this way (which was absolutely fine by the way).

I do know that some take the "well, I know it's in there" school of construction's maxim to extreme lengths, but not me :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Personally I'd consider that a waste of my efforts. I agree with Rick. good for the parts bin......... but that's just my opinion.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Some parts really are not possible to see if you complete the model closed up. This leads to another conundrum! You can fit those parts and pose the model with the relevant hatches or panels open, allowing them to be seen. You will then find yourself scratch building other bits, wiring, hydraulics etc to make those previously never to be seen parts more realistic.....where does it end? :smiling3:
Cheers

Steve
I know exactly what you mean. I did a 262 with a radio bay and 75% of it was hidden, with all wiring and piping all hidden. In the end, I thought, what a waste!

John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Does anyone have any reference to whether you can show these parts with access panels from outside? I might go the whole hog and have them open in that case.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Does anyone have any reference to whether you can show these parts with access panels from outside? I might go the whole hog and have them open in that case.
Every piece of equipment had to be accessed for servicing and repair. Certainly equipment like radio installations, armament and would be accessible via panels which could be fairly easily removed or opened.

Most kits do represent these (not always terribly accurately), but they often need cutting out to open them.

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

There is one way of doing this and I am saving photos of completed internal bits.

That is to have a photo viewer showing on each model the internal bits together with

views of the aircraft. this will include various bits as it is constructed.

Laurie

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
There is one way of doing this and I am saving photos of completed internal bits.
That is to have a photo viewer showing on each model the internal bits together with

views of the aircraft. this will include various bits as it is constructed.

Laurie
Yeah that's a good shout Laurie

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Yep. I do. Shoot me a message on which parts, and I will give you a few books and photos

Cheers, John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Yep. I do. Shoot me a message on which parts, and I will give you a few books and photos
Cheers, John
Cheers john I have sent you an email

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Cheers john I have sent you an email
After a little bit more research I believe the parts to be electrical housing and compressed air for landing gears. It may be viewable from the gear wells so will have to dry fit and check I guess

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi Phil my personal choice would be if it can't be sern, then it's a spares drawer item, unless I decide to do a cutaway version then obviously there would be a tremendous amount of scratch building needed.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
After a little bit more research I believe the parts to be electrical housing and compressed air for landing gears. It may be viewable from the gear wells so will have to dry fit and check I guess
Yep. Will be visible

John

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Every piece of equipment had to be accessed for servicing and repair. Certainly equipment like radio installations, armament and would be accessible via panels which could be fairly easily removed or opened.
Most kits do represent these (not always terribly accurately), but they often need cutting out to open them.

Cheers

Steve
I agree with you to a point on this. Not all equipment needs to be easily accessible, and anyone who has worked on aircraft will tell you that not all parts that may require periodic removal are easy to reach. Certainly some components will require more regular access so will have an easily removed panel or fastener to accommodate this, e.g. Engine doors, replenishment points and weapons bays with a quick release fastener or latch.

Other components will have an access panel but would be fastened shut with something more substantial like screws or bolts. An example might be a panel that covers an avionics compartment or fuel tank access panel. Some components installed on larger aircraft don't need access panels because they can be removed from their fixtures and taken through the cabin to a crew door,e.g. A radio or radar box fitted to the crew position in an aircraft like a Lancaster, sea king or nimrod.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yep, I agree with that. On WW2 fighters electronic equipment was almost always fairly accessible via a hatch or door. We shouldn't forget that all this type of equipment, from the wireless, to direction finding or navigational aids and stuff like the early landing aids, radar altimeters etc were MUCH less reliable and considerably more fragile than they are today.

Engines were always easily accessible on all fighters as were the weapons and ammunition compartments (though any erk who skinned his knuckles cocking the Brownings in a Spitfire wing might disagree!)

The Germans were quite good at providing good access to systems involved in the control surfaces and even landing gear. They used some very clever fasteners, much superior to the dzuz type fasteners common on British aircraft.

Cheers

Steve